The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Jeremy Corbyn slides in approval ratings in spite of Tory schisms

Voters are unimpressed with Labour leadership and Brexit handling, even amid Conservative infighting

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/15/jeremy-corbyn-slides-in-approval-ratings-in-spite-of-tory-schisms?fbclid=IwAR1m_cv6AngIIXnNm9tJP8Zt1vNMlmAKnJMzW-DEP9ugcXblreLyFJcITMg

Difficult time for Labour as well as the Tories.  Brexit has really messed up politics in this country.

Edited by alchresearch

On 11/24/2018 at 11:01 PM, Anna B said:

It would have to be a gradual process. 

However it depends on whether you want Corporations running your lives and able to hold you to ransome, for shareholder's profit, or a democratically elected government who have the best interests of the country and its people at heart.

These things should never have been sold off in the first place. What happened to the money?

Very naive to think government has the peoples  interests at heart.

What has happened in the past is utilities were starved of money by the government of the day because things like water infrastructure is not exactly a headline grabbing vote winner. Whilst gimmicky new schemes are. I believe investment in water infrastructure went up a lot once they were privatised.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, andyofborg said:

what's life without risk :)

rail could be taken back into state control as an when the franchises end and so would cost next to nothing.

Slight problem with that. If the GE is in 2020 and Labour have the full 5 years then only the Overground, Thameslink, Chiltern and South Western are up for renewal in that period. 

East midlands, Northern, TPE and West midlands all fall outside of the next government sitting. 

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Jeremy Corbyn slides in approval ratings in spite of Tory schisms

Voters are unimpressed with Labour leadership and Brexit handling, even amid Conservative infighting

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/15/jeremy-corbyn-slides-in-approval-ratings-in-spite-of-tory-schisms?fbclid=IwAR1m_cv6AngIIXnNm9tJP8Zt1vNMlmAKnJMzW-DEP9ugcXblreLyFJcITMg

Difficult time for Labour as well as the Tories.  Brexit has really messed up politics in this country.

Indeed, its not hard to see, i even have some friends that post on facebook that hate the tories and live and breathe labour, i keep telling em labour dont have a chance getting in, despite them willing a general election closer. They just bring up the fact that labour did narrow the margin at the last election. But thats not enough, they need to show some action, particularly on brexit, they are quiet, they are sitting on the fence. For me they need to be an effective opposition, to me they look null and void. They need to get some balls, come out against brexit and try and woo the remain voters against the governments "plans"

Just now, melthebell said:

Indeed, its not hard to see, i even have some friends that post on facebook that hate the tories and live and breathe labour, i keep telling em labour dont have a chance getting in, despite them willing a general election closer. They just bring up the fact that labour did narrow the margin at the last election. But thats not enough, they need to show some action, particularly on brexit, they are quiet, they are sitting on the fence. For me they need to be an effective opposition, to me they look null and void. They need to get some balls, come out against brexit and try and woo the remain voters against the governments "plans"

They appear to be doing nothing Mel..they should be streets ahead at the moment..

1 minute ago, truman said:

They appear to be doing nothing Mel..they should be streets ahead at the moment..

They should be telling people what THEY would do with brexit, instead you get comrade corbyn standing there at PMQs childishly just poopooing everything May says, but not adding anything of sorts for their own plans, manifestos etc etc

How do you win an election by being invisible?

Just now, melthebell said:

They should be telling people what THEY would do with brexit, instead you get comrade corbyn standing there at PMQs childishly just poopooing everything May says, but not adding anything of sorts for their own plans, manifestos etc etc

In politics you don't play to win,you just hope the other side loses I think

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46552939?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmj34zmwx00t/john-mcdonnell&link_location=live-reporting-story

"The easiest thing for any opposition to do in these circumstances is to warm your hands as the Conservatives self-immolate," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"But you can't do that, not when the issues are so big for the future of the country."

Interesting comments by John McDonnell. If this is Labour being pro-active what are they like when they can't be bothered?

This could really damage Labour.

At the moment they can't criticise the government because they effectively have the same policy on Brexit as the Conservatives. Nobody believes the 'move over and we can get a better deal' nonsense. Any deal is governed by economic reality, not by who is negotiating it.

I think that they are being badly advised. We keep hearing that Labour fears losing 25-30% of their voters if they came out against Brexit. The more realistic figure is around 10% and because we have a first past the post system, that doesn't equate to losing 10% of seats as those leave supporting Labour voters are concentrated in a few seats. Now that UKIP are out of the frame, disillusioned Labour voters are only left with the Conservatives if they want to vote right. Now that May is seen as a remainer and her government's handling of the negotiations is a mess, I doubt whether many Labour voters desperate for Brexit would vote for another Conservative  government. So yes, Labour undoubtedly would lose votes in places like Dewsbury and Sunderland but may well hang on to the seats with reduced majorities due to a non turn out of Labour voters who support Brexit.

Against that, there are many Conservatives and Lib Dems and Greens who hold such strongly held views on the matter that they would even vote for a Corbyn Labour Party if it meant remaining in the EU. And for the first time in my life I have had life long Labour voters tell me that they would now vote Conservative if it meant remaining in the EU.

Remain is where the votes are now and Labour needs to realise that if it is ever to win another election. 

41 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I caught a bit of the sunday politics this week from Lincoln, they had John Mann (bassetlaw Labour) on. He was quite honest and spoke a lot of sense. He just came out and basically said stop whining and give an alternative instead of just moaning about the current deal because its going to happen regardless. 9-14 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0btwmsc/sunday-politics-yorkshire-and-lincolnshire-16122018

16 hours ago, sheffbag said:

I caught a bit of the sunday politics this week from Lincoln, they had John Mann (bassetlaw Labour) on. He was quite honest and spoke a lot of sense. He just came out and basically said stop whining and give an alternative instead of just moaning about the current deal because its going to happen regardless. 9-14 minutes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0btwmsc/sunday-politics-yorkshire-and-lincolnshire-16122018

I think out of the 650 Parasites in Westminster John Mann stands head and shoulders above them. I wish he was my MP and even though he is Labour I would vote for him. (unless Nigel starts a new UKip,  model 2).

Angel1.

HE has was honest and spoke freely even against the party line, i would vote for him but no doubt the momentum lot want him out

Nice to see saint Jez is happy with having the tories in power or just doesnt have the balls to call a no-confidence in the governemnt. Even the SNP and DUP think he's useless now