The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

And so the character assassinations begin :rolleyes:

Mi mate (whos a labour supporter, but also into conspiracy bobbins) just posted this

https://www.politicalite.com/lab/labour/new-leader-new-danger-keir-starmer-helped-paedophile-jimmy-saville-evade-justice

so i googled politicalelite, seems its a right wing, islamophobic, and yes full of conspiracy bobbins website, that supports the likes of Little Tommy Robinson etc

Keir Starmer is a thoughtful,well balanced ,pragmatic and statesmanlike individual.

I am sure that he will fulfil his immediate role in a difficult situation.

The Conservative Party has had no option but to become an apparently more caring and socially responsible organisation and in the fullness of time this will have to be continued.

The Labour Party exists to fight for this and it needed to distance itself from the baggage accumulated under Corbyn.

I wish that the U.S. had some similar influence over their erratic President

Will Sir Kier ever become PM?

I hope so, but I doubt it.

Let's examine the facts.

Firstly, he sounds like a Northerner, and you'd think that would count in his favour, given that we'll all be relying on foodbanks soon, but the ignorant folk of this fair county have made it quite clear we secretly want to be lorded over by a bunch of entitled, privileged, privately-school yobs who cut the Police force and NHS over the last decade, as long as we can openly hate on immigrants.

On the other hand, Sir Kier is titled, and went to Oxford as a postgrad, so will appeal to the landed gentry.

I doubt I'll ever vote for him though.  He studied at L**ds Uni.

Sorry Kier  😢

21 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Will Sir Kier ever become PM?

I hope so, but I doubt it.

Let's examine the facts.

Firstly, he sounds like a Northerner, and you'd think that would count in his favour, given that we'll all be relying on foodbanks soon, but the ignorant folk of this fair county have made it quite clear we secretly want to be lorded over by a bunch of entitled, privileged, privately-school yobs who cut the Police force and NHS over the last decade, as long as we can openly hate on immigrants.

On the other hand, Sir Kier is titled, and went to Oxford as a postgrad, so will appeal to the landed gentry.

I doubt I'll ever vote for him though.  He studied at L**ds Uni.

Sorry Kier  😢

Wow...so its all about personality and not policies..?

10 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

It’s the personality that gets you there in the first place ,and then you have to come up with the goods.

Boris is still in the first stage.

Obviously people are swayed by different personalities.That is the only way that I can understand how Trump got to be POTUS.

25 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

It's been that way Tony Bliar took power.  And stayed there.  Twice.

Edited by The Joker

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Let's examine the facts.

It wasn't no secret that the ignorant folk of this fair country wanted a bunch of entitled privately-schooled yobs (didn't titled Kier attend a private school?), they openly voted for them.

Wiki (assuming it's correct):    

"Starmer has called for a reform to the EU free movement rules following Brexit and for a "fundamental rethink of immigration rules from start to finish".[45] In his first interview after being appointed to the Shadow Cabinet, Starmer argued that immigration was too high and called for it to be reduced as Britain leaves the EU, despite Corbyn ruling out any cap.[46] Starmer told Politico in April 2016 that negotiations with the EU should start on the understanding that there must be "some change" to freedom of movement rules, given that remaining in the EU single market is no longer a reality.[47]

In May 2017, Starmer said that "free movement has to go", but that it was important to retain "free movement of labour", given the importance of immigration for the UK's economy.[48] Starmer was a supporter of a second referendum on Brexit,[49] with this position becoming Labour Party policy in their 2019 General Election manifesto.[50] "

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

Probably a battle that I'm doomed to lose, but it's Keir as in Keir Hardie, not Kier as in failing construction company.

Running at about 50/50 so far.

On 04/04/2020 at 11:12, iansheff said:

Is he the right choice for Labour? only time will tell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-52164158

He was the best of a bad bunch.

He'll certainly go some way to getting the centre left back into the fold much more than the others, especially "continuity Corbyn".

I'm not sure about Rayner though.

And thank God Abbot has gone.  She was another doing the party more harm than good.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

He was the best of a bad bunch.

He'll certainly go some way to getting the centre left back into the fold much more than the others, especially "continuity Corbyn".

I'm not sure about Rayner though.

And thank God Abbot has gone.  She was another doing the party more harm than good.

What an accolade.  Keir Starmer, "The best of a bad bunch. '

Maybe Labour could put that on their next election literature? 

Edited by Baron99

On 04/04/2020 at 20:46, Mister Gee said:

Maybe it’s because they’ve not been in power for a decade?

If you believe the Blair haters (you know the ones, the "true" labour fans) they haven't been in power for over 40 years.

Well done to Labour for voting in a leader who might actually win an election. Be interesting to see if our Corbyn lovers will support the Sir on here.