The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

21 hours ago, banjodeano said:

to be perfectly honest, i think a lot of the traditional labour voters had already been lost, i think they had become  disillusioned with the party even before Corbyn came to power

That's usual though for most parties which are in power for a long time.    They just need a term or two in opposition before they bounce back.

But when centrist Labour voters were ready to come back and had forgiven Labour for their failings towards the end of their final term, there was no party for them to come back to.  

Jess Philips to pull out.  To be honest I'm not surprised, she performed poorly at the Liverpool hustings, has admitted she's not PM material and today she's Tweeted a big rant about asylum seekers needing more help and support, which hasn't gone down well at all.

You've probably seen the "cat meme" everywhere. When I pictured her shouting at Boris at the dispatch box I thought of that.

womanyellingcat-1573233850.jpg?resize=48

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51195059

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Jess Philips to pull out.  To be honest I'm not surprised, she performed poorly at the Liverpool hustings, has admitted she's not PM material and today she's Tweeted a big rant about asylum seekers needing more help and support, which hasn't gone down well at all.

Y

Says more about the publics attitude if helping "foreigners" does not go down well I'm afraid.

It's barely a two horse race as it is, clearly she's realised the likelihood of an upset isn't going to materialise so why bother continuing.

Its a shame Philips pulled out, i would have loved to see her go through to the final stage where  the members vote

Me too, she was down to earth, but I don't think that's enough.

She said she wasn't the person to bring the party back together.  To be honest, nobody is at the moment.

I think Labour are too far down to road for reunification.  I hate Corbynites.  They hate us "Blairites".

Labour chairman Ian Lavery calls for Keir Starmer to quit leadership election and support a woman

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/labour-leadership-election-ian-lavery-keir-starmer-female-leader-1371977

How about we just get the best person for the job, or is it because everyone but RLB is not a Corbyn suckup?

he is “not taking any lectures” from people who “have undermined Jeremy Corbyn”.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

She said she wasn't the person to bring the party back together.  To be honest, nobody is at the moment.

I think Labour are too far down to road for reunification.  I hate Corbynites.  They hate us "Blairites".

I think she had no intention of going the full hog, I think it was more about getting her face out there and getting media attention more than anything else, I am sure she will be leaving politics for a media career in the non too distant future

19 hours ago, alchresearch said:

« down to earth » What does that mean ?

Not sure why Jess Phillips thought she had the necessary clout or depth to even imagine she could win a leadership contest. 

I think what you see of her is all there is to see, nothing underneath it. 

I can’t imagine what the selection process was like when she was chosen as a candidate by her local constituency to contest an election.

I’ve never seen her answer any complicated questions or to be fair even asked one.