The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Yes I know there is a shortage of skills but the majority youth of today don't want manual work and I can't see that changing. It's a shame this is happening when house building is needed desperately now .

Ladies and gentlemen, your possible next Home Secretary. 

Wearing odd shoes. 

Wearing two left shoes.

22148654-7784881-image-m-31_157614921842

42 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Yes I know there is a shortage of skills but the majority youth of today don't want manual work and I can't see that changing. It's a shame this is happening when house building is needed desperately now .

I think there's always been misplaced snobbery about 'trade,' with young people thinking the way forward has got to be University. They're wrong. Too many graduates chasing too few jobs. 

I think working with your hands (and brain) is a very skilled, noble and creative pursuit and should be encouraged. It's a lot more worthwhile to build things than to sit behind a desk as an unecessary penpusher.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I think there's always been misplaced snobbery about 'trade,' with young people thinking the way forward has got to be University. They're wrong. Too many graduates chasing too few jobs. 

Not true.  Although Labour were heavily into "education, education, education"  and a big push for everyone to go to university, I recall in quite a number of schools under their reign they built a lot of construction industry training centres, so the ones who weren't gifted could learn a trade:

Mitie has six skills centres which are hosted at secondary schools and academies around the UK.

They were opened between 2001 and 2007 and continue to provide invaluable opportunities for 14 – 16 year old pupils.

https://www.mitiefoundation.com/get-involved/volunteering-stories/mitie-skill-centres/

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think working with your hands (and brain) is a very skilled, noble and creative pursuit and should be encouraged. It's a lot more worthwhile to build things than to sit behind a desk as an unecessary penpusher.

This is true, University is really pushed on kids these days, it’s almost brainwashing them, I think the introduction of tuition fees could partly factor in this.

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Not true.  Although Labour were heavily into "education, education, education"  and a big push for everyone to go to university, I recall in quite a number of schools under their reign they built a lot of construction industry training centres, so the ones who weren't gifted could learn a trade:

Mitie has six skills centres which are hosted at secondary schools and academies around the UK.

They were opened between 2001 and 2007 and continue to provide invaluable opportunities for 14 – 16 year old pupils.

https://www.mitiefoundation.com/get-involved/volunteering-stories/mitie-skill-centres/

This is what I mean about inbuilt snobbery in UK. I think you mean the ones who weren't accademic, rather than 'not gifted.'  Some people who work 'in trade' are extremely gifted in their own field, and we are all the richer for it. It is not and should not be regarded as second class occupation.

20 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I will never vote Tory, I'm struggling with Corbyn's Labour but could be convinced, a couple of questions:

1. What are Labours plans to save the NHS, they've not shone in Wales where they have control?
  2. How are they going to build all the hospitals and housing they've promised when there's a chronic labour shortage in the construction industry?

1) Labour will allow Diane a free hand in doing the NHS accounts, problem solved. Billions and billions and billions will be pumped into it. At no cost to the voter.

2) Doubtful the labour shortage will be the main concern, the money to build the Hospitals and houses will be the main worry.

3) Diane may be able to do these books 2) as well as number 1), problem solved. Billions and billions and billions will be pumped into it. At no cost to the voter.

Wow, solving the money problems we have is so easy to remedy, if you have a Diane in reserve.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

This is what I mean about inbuilt snobbery in UK. I think you mean the ones who weren't accademic, rather than 'not gifted.'  Some people who work 'in trade' are extremely gifted in their own field, and we are all the richer for it. It is not and should not be regarded as second class occupation.

In my many hours of need I find that I get much more assistance from a competent builder,electrician,plumber etc than any number of university graduates.

Theres a place for both,but craft apprenticeships have been sadly neglected for years.

By the way Anna,can you direct me to the poem that was somewhere on here ,each verse ending “I don’t like Jeremy Corbyn “I can’t find it.

I think the leader of the Labour Party  is going to have a hard days work tomorrow

7 minutes ago, Lord Harold said:

I think the leader of the Labour Party  is going to have a hard days work tomorrow

Not as hard as Boris Johnsons...!

39 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Not as hard as Boris Johnsons...!

Imagine having a fifty five year old stag duo weekend?

Edited by Mister Gee

2 hours ago, Lord Harold said:

Hopefully Corbyn will resign before the night is out.