The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

3 hours ago, FinBak said:

What can i say to an argument like that, very well put Anna.

You are right of course.

But i still think a NEW kind of system and thinking is needed..

With a MUCH younger set of Mp's and their take on things relevant to TODAY'S society.

Tony Blair was a young Prime Minister. I think he was about 45 and considered to be a breath of fresh air at the time. He modernised the Old Labour party, moving it to the centre ground and calling it 'New Labour.' He assumed all the battles had been won and old Labour wasn't needed any more. He was wrong. He also led us into the Iraq war, a mistake we are still paying for. So youth is no guarantee of quality.

I do agree however that there is massive room for improvement in our current system. We need fresh ideas and a new approach. For a start I'd like to see the old Parliament building turned into the museum it is, and a proper, state of the art, purpose built structure made for a new system of government, which looks like a proper place of work, not a place of archaic traditions, fancy costumes and oozing entitlement.

I'd like to see the number of MPs cut, and a regional government for the North. I'd abolish the House of Lords, and replace it with a meritocratic second house. I'd like to see full public involvement and opinions sought more often than just putting a cross on a ballot paper once every 5 years. I'd make MPs shadow real workers in frontline jobs for a certain period every year and commit to consultations with them, rather than getting well renumerated second jobs on the board of a bank or some such.

I'd like to see more cooperation and working for the common good of the country, than party politics which turn important issues into political footballs, and long term future planning that extends beyond the life of a Parliament.   

I'm sure yound people could supply many more ideas.

Edited by Anna B

21 hours ago, banjodeano said:

he doesnt have to lie, his policies are sound, but he is far too polite to stick the boot into Doris, he could have made it personal and scored some real goals, but he doesnt have that nature in him, he is far too polite to make it personal, which makes him appear weak

I agree. However I don't see him as weak. Anyone who can put up with the media battering he's had for the last 4 years must have a backbone of steel. But you're right that it can come across that way if people don't understand he's trying to clean up politics, and is practising what he preaches.

Edited by Anna B

On 07/12/2019 at 20:11, FinBak said:

Corybyn is well past being a PM.

Age and wisdom are wasted in parliament.

I'm not against the fella...all I am saying is that we need YOUTH in parliament...Not the old fuddy duddy tits of old.

Its not just age.  He's been a career backbencher all his life.  He has no leadership qualities.  He dithers and sits on the fence.  When he meets someone he doesn't like he just blanks them.  That's no way for a world leader to behave.

30 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Its not just age.  He's been a career backbencher all his life.  He has no leadership qualities.  He dithers and sits on the fence.  When he meets someone he doesn't like he just blanks them.  That's no way for a world leader to behave.

Neither is the way Trump or bojo behave

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

How wrong can you be....?  Corbyn has consistently stood by his principles and voted against the Labour party itself on a number of occasions, often campaigning and garnering support for a different point of view. This is  something which has actually cost him dearly in terms of high office, particularly in the Blair government.  

He does however refuse to go in for kneejerk reactions; he takes a considered approach, weighing up the pros and cons before he decides. I see that as a strength in a politician. If Blair had taken that approach we would never have entered the Iraq war (something Corbyn campaigned against) with all its attendant repercussions.

Edited by Anna B

On 07/12/2019 at 20:11, FinBak said:

Corybyn is well past being a PM.

Age and wisdom are wasted in parliament.

I'm not against the fella...all I am saying is that we need YOUTH in parliament...Not the old fuddy duddy tits of old.

I think you will find that despite what age an MP is they usually are sponsored and put up for election by the political party they are aligned with and because of that also vote for what the party wants. All you need to do is look at the young MP's in parliament to see that in action, age really is not much to go by. What is needed however is a change in the way politics is run and having full PR is one of the best ways to achieve that. Something I believe Corbyn also wanted once.

Edited by apelike

13 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

An interesting watch, if only for McDonnell's body language and his folded arms.

Billionaire John Caudwell goes head-to-head with Labour's John McDonnell

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-50691677/billionaire-john-caudwell-goes-head-to-head-with-labour-s-john-mcdonnell

Loved it. What I saw were 2 principled men discussing their alternative viewpoints  sensibly and with good humour. These sorts of discussions are to be encouraged, (and I'm sure they are in the Labour party.) Pity we don't see more of them.

On 09/12/2019 at 11:56, Anna B said:

Edited by Anna B

No one got a view on Ashworths  verbal assassination of his esteemed leader Jeremy.  Strangely quiet on the subject.

Angel1.

Has anyone seen Thornberry, Starmer or Abbott during this election campaign. Just asking, I'm a bit worried about them.

Angel1.