The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

Boris seems to think fast, reliable broadband is important too and is already using taxpayer's money to subsidise private company Openreach. Well, the CEO and his cronies have to get their massive pay packages from somewhere . .

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/openreach-ceo-boris-johnsons-2025-fibre-goal-is-a-stretch

The rest of your post I agree with, but he also aims to get Broadband to the people not covered by  the Network (of which their are many) because private companies don't find them profit making.

It's an odd thing to suddenly decide to nationalise. But, it benefits everyone, and ironically, if you need to apply for universal credit, you have to do it on-line. 

But who is doing tech support etc?

18 hours ago, kidley said:

My Bold 

Mr Farage has never been a banker, he was a broker in the city. just nit picking

I was just gonna say he's a former stockbroker not a banker but I bet in both he has a lot of well to do folks who would do well out of shorting the pound and other financial dealings to do with Brecht going bad

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's an odd thing to suddenly decide to nationalise. But, it benefits everyone, and ironically, if you need to apply for universal credit, you have to do it on-line. 

But who is doing tech support etc?

Just been watching The Richard Dimbleby Lecture on BBC1 given by Tim Berners-Lee.

He had some very interesting and pertinent things to say, like access to the world wide web should be a human right that we will all benefit from. It all started to come together and make sense which convinced me Labour has made the right decision.

Edited by Anna B

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Just been watching The Richard Dimbleby Lecture on BBC1 given by Tim Berners-Lee.

He had some very interesting and pertinent things to say, like access to the world wide web should be a human right that we will all benefit from. It all started to come together and make sense which convinced me Labour has made the right decision.

Access to water is a human right too. Why aren’t they making water free for everyone? I’m pretty sure access to food is a bigger human rights issue than access to broadband as well. Are they going to make food free for all? Why not? 

Inevitably, many of the pavements and roads in Sheffield would have to be dug up again, unless they can do it all with overhead cabling.

Edited by carosio

35 minutes ago, carosio said:

Inevitably, many of the pavements and roads in Sheffield would have to be dug up again, unless they can do it all with overhead cabling.

surely they can just use the potholes...saves on digging

For those who think that privatised utilities are in some way more efficient than publicly owned ones, I’ll just offer you this anecdote.

The lights on my road went off almost two weeks ago. Not one light, but about 12 in a row, both sides of the road. It is a dangerous spot too, dark and a busy road. Northern Power Grid are estimating that they’ll have them fixed by 9th December. That’s a major arterial route through the city, with no lighting for a month. 

I’ve no idea whether a nationalised utility would be any quicker. It is hard to imagine that they could be slower.

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

For those who think that privatised utilities are in some way more efficient than publicly owned ones, I’ll just offer you this anecdote.

The lights on my road went off almost two weeks ago. Not one light, but about 12 in a row, both sides of the road. It is a dangerous spot too, dark and a busy road. Northern Power Grid are estimating that they’ll have them fixed by 9th December. That’s a major arterial route through the city, with no lighting for a month. 

I’ve no idea whether a nationalised utility would be any quicker. It is hard to imagine that they could be slower.

Are you sure it's not the council trying to save money?

Anyway a lot of the big Corporate companies that have got the private contracts to do these jobs, like Serco, Amy, Centrica, Openreach etc, are no better than the old system. And they are expected to make a profit for sharehoders where none should exist. 

Edited by Anna B

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes, I’m quite sure thanks.

I’ve no idea why you’d think any different 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Corbyn by chair of Leicester East Labour Party, John Thomas, who has just resigned the Labour Party. In his resignation letter he called Corbyn a 'clown', and heavily influenced by the 'Trotskyite Len McCluskey' who has made Labour a laughing stock with his 'hoki coki' leadership. 

56 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Anyway a lot of the big Corporate companies that have got the private contracts to do these jobs, like Serco, Amy, Centrica, Openreach etc, are no better than the old system. And they are expected to make a profit for sharehoders where none should exist. 

But if firms don't make profits what is Jezza going to tax?

2 hours ago, BoroB said:

But if firms don't make profits what is Jezza going to tax?

He'll tax firms that do make profits like Amazon, who paid just £11.9million on sales of £5.3Billion. That's a lower percantage rate than I pay!

And there are others like them. JC is not going after the small and Medium sized businesses, or the big guys who pay the proper rate, just the one's who are taking the mick.

People who earn less than £80,000 pa have nothing to fear, and a lot to gain by voting Labour. These are the many that Jeremy Corbyn is fighting for. Even those earning more than £80,000 will be treated fairly, and only pay a small exponential increase but will also benefit rom the improved services etc. 

Vote Conservative and only those earning more than 80,000 will gain.