The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

25 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The money will come from taxing the big companies as I've already said. You say it won't be enough, how do you know? At this stage I haven't seen enough to make that assumption.

There are also Corbyn's  National banks which they haven't said much about yet but are meant to pay for infrastructure. The Conservatives managed to magic up £350 billion to prop up the banks without too much trouble which basically went straight into the pockets of the rich. 

This is for the benefit of the people.

Anyone can look at the figures. 

Labour said the tax would generate £230m annually. How are the billions extra going to be funded? We know how much Openreach costs to run now - it's in the billions. The salary bill alone is £800milion. 

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Apart from our lack of efficient Broadband holding us back, I think the Labour party are canny enough to know that future defence is not all about nuclear weapons, but also defending us from cyber attacks which can cripple us. Maybe they think it's wise to be prepared by keeping hold of and defending some infrastructure that can help keep essential things running. 

So this government run broadband will also be immune to cyber attacks! Wow! 

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The money will come from taxing the big companies as I've already said. You say it won't be enough, how do you know? At this stage I haven't seen enough to make that assumption.

PAYE tax payers will end up paying for it as always under Labour governments, as they are easy targets. Corporates just move stuff about, they aren't going to be paying a bean extra. Have you ever wondered how multi billion pound companies operating in the UK only pay a few million of tax in the UK? It won't happen if there was all this readily available tax from big companies, why hasn't  it happened already? Maybe if it was that simple there would never have been any austerity under the tories?

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Apart from our lack of efficient Broadband holding us back, I think the Labour party are canny enough to know that future defence is not all about nuclear weapons, but also defending us from cyber attacks which can cripple us. Maybe they think it's wise to be prepared by keeping hold of and defending some infrastructure that can help keep essential things running. 

Not so sure if having efficient broadband is holding us back and as Fudbeer has pointed out many actually use their mobile these days and most households are already broadband enabled. Having free broadband also will not make any difference to cyber attacks and such as it does not work that way. The recent cyber attack on the Labour website for instance was done by a DDOS attack which could have come from anywhere as they are very untraceable. Most of the misinformation and fake news these days is being spread by Facebook, Twitter and the like which is mainly accessed by mobile devices.  

DDOS attacks are pretty easy to avoid or at least reduce the risk with the verification system. It's foolish for any site that could be a potential target not to use this system.

49 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not so sure if having efficient broadband is holding us back and as Fudbeer has pointed out many actually use their mobile these days and most households are already broadband enabled. Having free broadband also will not make any difference to cyber attacks and such as it does not work that way. The recent cyber attack on the Labour website for instance was done by a DDOS attack which could have come from anywhere as they are very untraceable. Most of the misinformation and fake news these days is being spread by Facebook, Twitter and the like which is mainly accessed by mobile devices.  

I think it's aimed more Businesses that will benefit from more reliable fast broadband.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think it's aimed more Businesses that will benefit from more reliable fast broadband.

What percentage of businesses don't already have broadband?

If it's aimed at business, why not just subsidise businesses cost of broadband through tax breaks etc...

At the end of the day whether or not its a good  idea I think if you  asked most voters about what you want the next government to see as a priority to deliver I doubt many would say giving people free broadband.

11 hours ago, Dardandec said:

PAYE tax payers will end up paying for it as always under Labour governments, as they are easy targets. Corporates just move stuff about, they aren't going to be paying a bean extra. Have you ever wondered how multi billion pound companies operating in the UK only pay a few million of tax in the UK? It won't happen if there was all this readily available tax from big companies, why hasn't  it happened already? Maybe if it was that simple there would never have been any austerity under the tories?

It's not only big, multi national businesses that manages to keep a large proportion of their profits:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9977694/labour-property-business-tax-dodge/

The free broadband pledge has already been looked at & the BBC were last night reporting a story that it would cost a minimum, (at present), £34 billion. 

2 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

At the end of the day whether or not its a good  idea I think if you  asked most voters about what you want the next government to see as a priority to deliver I doubt many would say giving people free broadband.

I'm more concerned about Home Care services  but nobody seems to be mentioning them.

Is it included in the NHS money?

Also Care home charges which are extortionate. What happened to the report that was due years ago but never seemed to materialise. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

It's not only big, multi national businesses that manages to keep a large proportion of their profits:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9977694/labour-property-business-tax-dodge/

The free broadband pledge has already been looked at & the BBC were last night reporting a story that it would cost a minimum, (at present), £34 billion. 

Labour's Dianne Abbott has costed it at £1.27.

58 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm more concerned about Home Care services  but nobody seems to be mentioning them.

Is it included in the NHS money?

Also Care home charges which are extortionate. What happened to the report that was due years ago but never seemed to materialise. 

To be honest I think Labour and the Liberals are doing their best to gift the election to the Tories.Speaking to a life long Labour voter the other  day and he said he feels no connection what so ever with the current leadership and I dont think he is alone. Brexit aside I don't think traditional Labour voters feel the leadership are doing enough to address the real issues that affect their day to day life  and the Free internet policy typifies that.

Re: Care and care homes. Jeremy Corbyn said he wanted to make it free, but it's not something I've heard him repeat, so I'm not sure if it's a aspiration or an intention. It used to be free back in the days when higher education was free along with other things that now seem to cost the earth. 

2 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

To be honest I think Labour and the Liberals are doing their best to gift the election to the Tories.Speaking to a life long Labour voter the other  day and he said he feels no connection what so ever with the current leadership and I dont think he is alone. Brexit aside I don't think traditional Labour voters feel the leadership are doing enough to address the real issues that affect their day to day life  and the Free internet policy typifies that.

I don't think you have to particularly like Jeremy Corbyn to vote Labour, just agree with their policies, and the policies are for the benefit of most people. For the many, not the few.