The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

But Murdoch can't censor what I see. The government could if they get control of the internet. This is a complete non-starter for many people. He may have just lost the election.

Are you kidding...?

12 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That's not comparable at all. 

Nobody is forcing you to consume any of that media if you don't want to. If the government nationalise the internet then it would be the only way to receive it. They can then control what you see. 

Really... you probably consume that media every day without knowing it. It's very difficult to find out who's controlling what.

Also with privatised media it can be sold to the highest bidder. Do you want it controlled by the Chinese?  

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Really... you probably consume that media every day without knowing it. It's very difficult to find out who's controlling what.

Also with privatised media it can be sold to the highest bidder. Do you want it controlled by the Chinese?  

It's not that difficult - you post it on here often enough! 

And again, you're not making proper comparisons. For the sake of argument, let's say the Chinese Government bought Murdoch's News Corp (and the government didn't call in the investment on grounds that such influence by a foreign power on our media would weaken our security). There would be absolutely nothing to stop you from consuming other media, or someone from setting up a new newspaper. They still wouldn't control the BBC, or the Guardian, or many other significant ways that people get their media. 

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes I consume the media every day - the key point being I can read from many different sources to unbias what they tell me. If we have one internet provider run by the government what do we do when they ban certain things and make usage of VPN (the way round usually) illegal?

Edited by nightrider

They didn't even seem aware there was more than one company in this field, when pressed the response was basically:

"We'll just buy them as well"

WTF?

Edited by geared

39 minutes ago, geared said:

They didn't even seem aware there was more than one company in this field, when pressed the response was basically:

"We'll just buy them as well"

WTF?

Heaven help people who's pensions are invested in Sky, Virgin, Talk Talk etc etc... 

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Corbyn's latest zany scheme which is currently being laughed at by everyone:

Labour pledges free broadband for all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

"Following Labour's announcement, BT's share price initially fell by 3% before recovering slightly."

Great work, Labour.

They probably also laughed at the idea of giving free health care to everyone after the war when the country was bankrupt as well, but you know what our health system is the envy of the world..

Corbyn announces free wifi and the country goes into meltdown and is called a communist, calm down folks

27 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

They probably also laughed at the idea of giving free health care to everyone after the war when the country was bankrupt as well, but you know what our health system is the envy of the world..

Corbyn announces free wifi and the country goes into meltdown and is called a communist, calm down folks

I visited a relative in hospital a few months ago and there was free fibre broadband as well. It's clearly a communist plot.

Edited by Mister Gee

6 hours ago, convert said:

So Labour promise yet more 'free' stuff.

What a great idea. Corbyn can't control the free press, which is moving more and more online, so he decides to provide 'free' broadband.

Not even looking at the actual cost to the taxpayer, the monopoly it would create, the jobs that would be lost at Sky, Talk Talk, etc.

The Government would control the internet provision to most homes. Who's going to pay for it if Labour provide it for free.

How much censorship would their be over the state controlled internet?

Big brother really would be watching.

If nothing else convinces you to not vote Labour, this should.

Don't forget it won't be owned by Labour it will be owned by the taxpayers and the government which will continue to change on a regular   basis. Therefore there would be no point in biased censorship. 

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

My basic Sky (BT line) broadband is £19 per month.  If Labour win and my state owned and controlled broadband (sounds like China) is now free, I'll happily give that £19 to a more deserving place, like the NHS for example.

I’ve noticed that £19 doesn’t cover evenings or weekends?

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

No they didn't. A national health service was in the 1945 Tory and Liberal manifestos, as well as Labour. It wasn't some scheme invented by the Labour Party. 

Labour is simply returning part of BT to public ownership and looking after our infrastructure, something which private companies often fail to do if there's no profit in it. It means there will be consistant cover across the country including places that don't have it at the moment. I understand we are bottom of the league table at the moment for the reliable roll out of fast broadband which is holding productivity and  business back. Labour are trying to rectify that and move us forward.