The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I don't think you understand how it all works as that is basically an impossible scenario. It's the top military Generals who would advise the PM of the day what they think should be done so will already know what targets will be hit. The PM does not get to choose what those targets will be as that is done but his generals but he does get to choose whether to hit them or not. Hesitation could mean whether any incoming missiles would be wiped out or not.

i undestand very much how they work, they are designed to hold BUT NOT use, as the old saying goes...NOBODY wins a nuclear war (everybody gets hit), mutally assured destruction

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I don't think you understand how it all works as that is basically an impossible scenario. It's the top military Generals who would advise the PM of the day what they think should be done so will already know what targets will be hit. The PM does not get to choose what those targets will be as that is done but his generals but he does get to choose whether to hit them or not. Hesitation could mean whether any incoming missiles would be wiped out or not.

You know that our missiles are rather hard to find and wipe out yes?

31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And what would that achieve?

That is why it’s called a deterrent. But I have no problem with launching our weapons if we were attacked knowing full well the enemy are being destroyed as well.

2 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

That is why it’s called a deterrent. But I have no problem with launching our weapons if we were attacked knowing full well the enemy are being destroyed as well.

But really the second they are launched at us, they’ve failed.

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But really the second they are launched at us, they’ve failed.

Has I said if the deterrent failed I’d have no problem in launching ours.

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

Has I said if the deterrent failed I’d have no problem in launching ours.

I would pause now I'm getting on a bit. Launching 120 warheads, safe in the knowledge that all those who launched warheads at us are safe in bunker seems a bit pointless. You're just killing millions of ordinary people for, at best, spite.

17 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I would pause now I'm getting on a bit. Launching 120 warheads, safe in the knowledge that all those who launched warheads at us are safe in bunker seems a bit pointless. You're just killing millions of ordinary people for, at best, spite.

Killing the enemy is good enough for me.

The last 25 posts have been about the cold war!!!! The USSR finished in 1991.

Lets stop playing to the narrative of the reactionary imagined solder boys and 'ban the bomb' peaceniks of the last centuary.

It is 2019 not 1959 you know.

7 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

The last 25 posts have been about the cold war!!!! The USSR finished in 1991.

Lets stop playing to the narrative of the reactionary imagined solder boys and 'ban the bomb' peaceniks of the last centuary.

It is 2019 not 1959 you know.

To be fair large chunks of the tory party (and all the brexit party) still think we're fighting world war 2. We haven't moved on from it as a nation. It effected the the referendum and its going to effect the election as well.

3 hours ago, Obelix said:

You know that our missiles are rather hard to find and wipe out yes?

Yes. :huh:

21 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

If that's why "ordinary" people vote for the Tories, then "ordinary" people have been misinformed.  As your own Peter Hitchens puts it, "The Tory record on the economy is dreadful ... to vote Tory because you think the economy is safe in their hands is actually daft."

Discussed here:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/408858-peter-hitchens-~-mail-blog

But the Tories have reduced the deficit no? 

7 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

So what?

Don't be rude. You're labour party mates obviously never managed that.