The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

No. It's because they don't agree with his policies, or are they down to media bias too?

Where do you live Robin?

Just now, Mister Gee said:

Where do you live Robin?

Sheffield... 

Just now, Robin-H said:

Sheffield... 

Whereabouts? I live in Walkley and most people I talk to like his policies.

Just now, Mister Gee said:

Whereabouts? I live in Walkley and most people I talk to like his policies.

That's a coincidence as I also live in Walkley - however I'm not suggesting all the people I talk to also live in Walkley. A couple do (who I know for certain dislike his policies) but the people I talk to are pretty much spread out across the country. 

Do they know what his policies are, or just what they've been told they are?

How they are phrased can make all the difference. Some of them are subtle and nuanced, they've been well thought out and costed to the best long term effect, unlike Boris' smash and grab tactics; promises meant not to be kept but to win elections.

Edited by Anna B

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

How they are phrased can make all the difference. Some of them are subtle and nuanced, they've been well thought out and costed to the best long term effect, unlike Boris' smash and grab tactics; promises meant not to be kept but to win elections.

I can assure you they know what his policies are. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

That's a coincidence as I also live in Walkley - however I'm not suggesting all the people I talk to also live in Walkley. A couple do (who I know for certain dislike his policies) but the people I talk to are pretty much spread out across the country. 

As someone who grew up on a council estate I’m struggling to get my head around the fact that I live in a neighborhood with a Tory called Robin. It’s a funny old world.

Edited by Mister Gee

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

If they don’t know what his policies are, who is to blame for that?

37 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

If they don’t know what his policies are, who is to blame for that?

My point again. Never underestimate the power of the media.

Jeremy Corbyn's policies resonate with a lot of people, therefore it is not good Establishment policy to allow them to be given air-time. (instead Conservatives nick them and then claim them as their own...) Everytime the media are forced to mention Labour it's in relation to anti- semitism or some such. Everytime a Labour spokesman is required, it's an enemy of Corbyn that is wheeled out - ye Gods they've even had Tony Blair and Alistair Campbell. Everytime they are forced to feature Jeremy Corbyn himself, 9 times out of 10 it's just a visual (often unflattering,) with an unhelpful commentary over the top. If interviewed directly (a comparitavely rare occurance,) the interviewer is hostile and will not allow Corbyn to get down to discussing his policies as they'd rather fixate on some minor point. or anti-semtism.

Once you know this is happening you can spot it over and over again. Try looking through a newspaper and finding a positive story about Jeremy Corbyn - they're as rare as hen's teeth. Just by the law of averages there should be more positive stories about him as  he continues to do good work and personally connect with people.  So bad is this media bias, that he has once again been forced to take his main campaign to social media (though this is no longer as effective as it once was as other parties have become more aware of the threat it poses. I get very positive feeds, (including, incidently, a brief resume of Labours policiesbut of course that's not much use as they're preaching to the converted, and those that need to see them won't get them on their feeds. 

Labour's policies are all online and clearly laid out, but most people are disinclined to bother looking, they rely instead on what the media says which is almost always negative. However in the run up to the election new rules apply and Jeremy will get more chance to appear before the public, speak for himself and have his say. If the last election is anything to go on, people will like what they see and his popularity will rise exponentially. 

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

My point again. Never underestimate the power of the media.

Jeremy Corbyn's policies resonate with a lot of people, therefore it is not good Establishment policy to allow them to be given air-time. (instead Conservatives nick them and then claim them as their own...) Everytime the media are forced to mention Labour it's in relation to anti- semitism or some such. Everytime a Labour spokesman is required, it's an enemy of Corbyn that is wheeled out - ye Gods they've even had Tony Blair and Alistair Campbell. Everytime they are forced to feature Jeremy Corbyn himself, 9 times out of 10 it's just a visual (often unflattering,) with an unhelpful commentary over the top. If interviewed directly (a comparitavely rare occurance,) the interviewer is hostile and will not allow Corbyn to get down to discussing his policies as they'd rather fixate on some minor point. or anti-semtism.

Once you know this is happening you can spot it over and over again. Try looking through a newspaper and finding a positive story about Jeremy Corbyn - they're as rare as hen's teeth. Just by the law of averages there should be more positive stories about him as  he continues to do good work and personally connect with people.  So bad is this media bias, that he has once again been forced to take his main campaign to social media (though this is no longer as effective as it once was as other parties have become more aware of the threat it poses. I get very positive feeds, (including, incidently, a brief resume of Labours policiesbut of course that's not much use as they're preaching to the converted, and those that need to see them won't get them on their feeds. 

Labour's policies are all online and clearly laid out, but most people are disinclined to bother looking, they rely instead on what the media says which is almost always negative. However in the run up to the election new rules apply and Jeremy will get more chance to appear before the public, speak for himself and have his say. If the last election is anything to go on, people will like what they see and his popularity will rise exponentially. 

Waaaa media bias waaa.   Same old head burying.  Same old excuses.   

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Waaaa media bias waaa.   Same old head burying.  Same old excuses.   

I don’t naturally agree with you on very much, but I’ll make an exception this time.

If a political party is so inept that it can’t get its message out there, it really needs new leadership . Th e Corbynistas need to stop whining and start doing. 

Having said that, I’ve just been listening to Angela Rayner on R4. It was a very fair interview and she spoke very well.

Edited by Pettytom