The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

24 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Hmm still didn't work unfortunately - even tried using incognito mode incase my cookies were preventing it. 

Sorry about that - it must be my VPN that gets round the paywall (although I'd think a glaring oversight by the FT if true!)

If there is not another conference before the next election (very unlikely) Labour has just thrown away any chance of winning that election. As a conference delegate said on Channel Four News, “We are now destined to come third behind the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats”.

One of the reasons that Labour did well in 2017 was the amount of work put in by members on the doorstep. At the next election many, many activists will not be campaigning for a Brexit supporting Labour party.

6 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

The important thing is that (like the other progressive parties, but unlike the LibDems) they're offering a second referendum, now that there is a reasonably concrete proposal for what 'Brexit' might actually mean (i.e. Mrs May's deal, or something similar).

You might not like it, you might not like the reasons for it, but the fact is that the country is divided 50/50 on this issue.  The only way forward that isn't guaranteed to tear the country apart for a generation is to compromise.  This might not ultimately be possible, but at least they're trying.

If Ms Swinson was serious about preventing Brexit, if she really thought that that was the number one most important thing, she'd be offering something like an electoral pact with the progressive parties to campaign together for a second referendum.  But she isn't, therefore she doesn't.

The problem is that I imagine the vast majority of people that want a second referendum are people that would be happy to see Article 50 revoked, therefore there is no reason why they would choose Labour over the Lib Dems. 

Just to confuse things further, Scottish Labour and Welsh Labour are campaigning as Remain parties in any upcoming election.

So once again, it is England trying to lead the UK as a whole out of the EU. European leaders are right when they describe Brexit as a particular facet of petty English nationalism.

How on earth can that show of hands be considered backing for Corbyn .

If Britain’s got talent was decided in a similar fashion it would be more fitting,but just as ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If Britain’s got talent was decided in a similar fashion it would be more fitting,but just as ridiculous.

Faced with an open goal, Corbyn could hit an 80 yard backpass into his own net.

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Faced with an open goal, Corbyn could hit an 80 yard backpass into his own net.

I think you're looking at a totally different pitch to me. 

Corbyn has just widened his options.  He doesn't want to lose a huge percent of traditional Labour voters, who are Leavers. 

He's trying to win the traditional heartlands back but unfortunately, Emily Thornberry had already scuppered that for him on Question Time, two weeks ago.

10 hours ago, RJRB said:

The BBC news report last night about this shows that the party has a serious problem - the show of hands was around 50-50.

Its sad that politics has now become about Brexit, but the Tories and Lib Dems have siezed upon this while Labour dithers about in the middle and loses votes to both sides.  Its leader wants to remain neutral but at the same time has many vocal remainers.

6 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I think you're looking at a totally different pitch to me. 

Corbyn has just widened his options.  He doesn't want to lose a huge percent of traditional Labour voters, who are Leavers. 

He's trying to win the traditional heartlands back but unfortunately, Emily Thornberry had already scuppered that for him on Question Time, two weeks ago.

How has he widened his options? the only way he can become PM is to win an election. In the run up to the election whats his policy on Europe as that will be the main focus of the election. Labour cannot go into a potential GE with no firm view.  What reason would there to vote for Labour? If i wanted to remain then i would vote Lib Dem as I would know that if they got i then i would be in support of their policies. If i wanted to Leave i would potentially vote Tory as they are supporting this.

Vote Labour as a remainer? A vote then goes ahead what happens if leave win? the party i would have voted for has implemented a policy i dont agree with. The same is i was a leaver and the opposite happened. And lets not forget they coudl change their minds if they got in power and just ignore their pledges (wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last)

So the "traditional heartland" (who mainly voted leave) will come back because the MP's don't want to implement the will (for example my constituency voted massively to leave, the MP representing us votes to remain in Parliament) of their people

Labour needs to get off the fence, let the unions pick the side they are fighting for and chuffing unite or they will get hammered. Speaking as a person who has voted Labour in the past i would never vote for them again while this mess is on.

the "everyone's friend" Corbyn experiment has failed and its dragging Labour down

44 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

The BBC news report last night about this shows that the party has a serious problem - the show of hands was around 50-50.

Its sad that politics has now become about Brexit, but the Tories and Lib Dems have siezed upon this while Labour dithers about in the middle and loses votes to both sides.  Its leader wants to remain neutral but at the same time has many vocal remainers.

Well I watched it live and the show of hands was overwhelmingly for Corbyn , irrespective of what Emily Maitlis, Laura Kuensberg and the BBC might want  to spin it

Edited by Ridgewalk

45 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Labour is in essence a Remain Party, but has to acknowledge that the Referendum vote went for Leave. Tom Watson and many others want to conveniently ignore that. If Labour was elected then they would try to negotiate a better deal than is currently on offer either from self serving financiers and people who would make lots of dosh such as Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Farage or from neo-liberal remaniacs who've never set foot in a northern town such as Barnsley or Hartlepool and couldn't really care less about poverty, absence of social mobility or real life problems  faced by people in those towns.

As i understand it a Corbyn led government would put another vote to the People where Remain would be an option

3 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Well I watched it live and the show of hands was overwhelmingly for Corbyn , irrespective of what Emily Maitlis, Laura Kuensberg and the BBC might want  to spin it

Watch: the moment Labour almost backed Remain

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/watch-the-moment-labour-almost-backed-remain/

Was this when the fix went in? Moment Labour conference chair changed her mind about result of crucial Brexit vote after Jeremy Corbyn's loyal lieutenant had a word

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7497815/The-dramatic-moment-Jeremy-Corbyns-loyal-lieutenant-saved-Brexit-disaster.html