The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

4 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

I know, absolutely stark raving mad, wanting to reduce the working week. We should be putting it back to working longer hours for less money..and do away with paid holidays as well...bloody communists

Also the following will all be free:

Public services free at the point of use including childcare, post-school education, public transport for under-25s, school meals and personal social care.

Followed by a return to collective bargaining with Unions, another 70's throwback.

16 minutes ago, geared said:

Have you seen the stuff McDonnell came out with at the party conference?

Most of it has a lot of public support and is more or less the same stuff that almost won Labour the election in 2017.

Unfortunately Corbyn’s absolute desperation to keep Labour as a  Brexit party has scuppered any chance of it winning an outright majority at any upcoming election. It will be interesting to see how Corbyn responds to any conference vote which makes Remain official Labour policy.

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Most of it has a lot of public support and is more or less the same stuff that almost won Labour the election in 2017.

Unfortunately Corbyn’s absolute desperation to keep Labour as a  Brexit party has scuppered any chance of it winning an outright majority at any upcoming election. It will be interesting to see how Corbyn responds to any conference vote which makes Remain official Labour policy.

'Free money for everyone' is going to get public support. Fortunately I think the majority of the population aren't stupid enough to believe it's possible..  

13 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

'Free money for everyone' is going to get public support. Fortunately I think the majority of the population aren't stupid enough to believe it's possible..  

Sounds similar to Johnson's spending plans.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Sounds similar to Johnson's spending plans.

Not really. Just because both main parties are pledging to spend more than during the years of austerity, it doesn't mean that they are both equal. 

The plans from the Labour party would involve borrowing hundreds and hundreds of billions of pounds, possibly a trillion. Boris isn't suggesting spending anything near that. 

13 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Not really. Just because both main parties are pledging to spend more than during the years of austerity, it doesn't mean that they are both equal. 

The plans from the Labour party would involve borrowing hundreds and hundreds of billions of pounds, possibly a trillion. Boris isn't suggesting spending anything near that. 

These 2 Financial Times articles would suggest otherwise.

Labour - net cost £26bn pa in 24/25

https://www.ft.com/content/c3b66b56-cb03-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0

Conservative - more than £27bn (inclusive of tax cuts for the rich).

https://www.ft.com/content/f9c3258a-ae0d-11e9-8030-530adfa879c2

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

These 2 Financial Times articles would suggest otherwise.

Labour - net cost £26bn pa in 24/25

https://www.ft.com/content/c3b66b56-cb03-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0

Conservative - more than £27bn (inclusive of tax cuts for the rich).

https://www.ft.com/content/f9c3258a-ae0d-11e9-8030-530adfa879c2

Unfortunately those articles are behind a paywall so I can't read them, but I'd be fascinated to know how Labour hope to fulfil all their pledges for only £26bn pa by 24/25. 

Labour have pledged to spend £250billion on infrastructure over the next 10 years. That alone comes to £25billion a year. 

2 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Unfortunately those articles are behind a paywall so I can't read them, but I'd be fascinated to know how Labour hope to fulfil all their pledges for only £26bn pa by 24/25. 

I'm not a subscriber to the FT but found them both simply by googling.

For the Labour one try "Labour spending plans FT"

For the Conservatives try "Johnson spending plans FT"

That worked for me and rechecked since your post.

Oh labour just voted against supporting remain in a people's vote.

That's really jumping the shark are they trying to lose?

9 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I'm not a subscriber to the FT but found them both simply by googling.

For the Labour one try "Labour spending plans FT"

For the Conservatives try "Johnson spending plans FT"

That worked for me and rechecked since your post.

Hmm still didn't work unfortunately - even tried using incognito mode incase my cookies were preventing it. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

I’m sure The Sun, Express, Daily Mail, Telegraph and Times and facebook will make sure of that.

"Democracy", Labour style.

:lol:

Edited by L00b