The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Certainly can't see a majority in favour of another referendum.

That’s the big problem.

There is clearly a parliamentary majority to oppose no deal. Unfortunately, they are hopelessly split about what to do next.

Some want a GE.  Some want an in/ out referendum. Some want a no deal/ May’s deal referendum. Meanwhile, Corbyn just wants to be PM for a week.

The smart money has to be on a cosmetic tweak to the backstop and the May deal going through.

13 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Certainly can't see a majority in favour of another referendum.

There is and never has been  any need for a second referendum.

This is how it is most likely to play out.

1. Vote of no confidence.

2. General Election.

3. Labour stands on a remain platform.

so either

a) The Conservatives/Farage win and we all go to hell in a handcart or

b) Labour wins or forms a government with Lib Dems/SNP/Greens whatever.

The election of a Remain government or Remain coalition means that Article 50 can be revoked without the need for a second referendum.

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There is and never has been  any need for a second referendum.

This is how it is most likely to play out.

1. Vote of no confidence.

2. General Election.

3. Labour stands on a remain platform.

so either

a) The Conservatives/Farage win and we all go to hell in a handcart or

b) Labour wins or forms a government with Lib Dems/SNP/Greens whatever.

The election of a Remain government or Remain coalition means that Article 50 can be revoked without the need for a second referendum.

If there is another GE;

It would have to be held PDQ - and likely article 50 would have to be "extended" to beyond 31 October.

No guarantee Labour will stand on a remain platform. Corbyn will try to fudge something.

Even in the case of a "remain" government I would think that they will feel obliged to hold a second referendum

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No guarantee Labour will stand on a remain platform. Corbyn will try to fudge something.

Even in the case of a "remain" government I would think that they will feel obliged to hold a second referendum

In September, Labour needs to vote at conference to become a wholeheartedly Remain party.

If Corbyn equivocates in any way, then Labour needs to get rid of him and get rid of him quickly. In fact the only way I can see Labour winning an electoral majority is without Corbyn, as the next election will be purely about Brexit and Corbyn has absolutely no credibility as a Remain leader.

If a Remain party wins a general election there is really no need to hold a second referendum. Let’s not forget that there has never been a majority in the UK to leave the EU, so a Remain government’s first job would be to pass a bill in Parliament to revoke Article 50 and rejoin the real world.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In September, Labour needs to vote at conference to become a wholeheartedly Remain party.

If Corbyn equivocates in any way, then Labour needs to get rid of him and get rid of him quickly. In fact the only way I can see Labour winning an electoral majority is without Corbyn, as the next election will be purely about Brexit and Corbyn has absolutely no credibility as a Remain leader.

If a Remain party wins a general election there is really no need to hold a second referendum. Let’s not forget that there has never been a majority in the UK to leave the EU, so a Remain government’s first job would be to pass a bill in Parliament to revoke Article 50 and rejoin the real world.

Although by that logic, there was never a majority in the UK to join the EU (or EC as it was then) in the first place. 

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There are far too many "ifs" for your statement "no deal or remain" to be the only outcomes.

And as I've said I'm pretty sure any remain party  coalition winnning a GE will feel obliged (rightly IMHO) to hold another rederendum - I can't see them winning a GE without that promise.

44 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And as I've said I'm pretty sure any remain party  coalition winnning a GE will feel obliged (rightly IMHO) to hold another rederendum - I can't see them winning a GE without that promise.

If a Remain party or coalition wins a General Election, what on earth is the point of holding another referendum?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If a Remain party or coalition wins a General Election, what on earth is the point of holding another referendum?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You don't know why they voted for a remain party, they could've for all sorts of reasons, unless you added an option on the slip but them it would also be a referendum

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

You don't know why they voted for a remain party, they could've for all sorts of reasons, unless you added an option on the slip but them it would also be a referendum

What is the #1 political issue facing the nation at the moment?

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What is the #1 political issue facing the nation at the moment?

But it's still guesswork in guessing why people voted for a 'remain'party, not all might've due to Brexit, a referendum is the only way to gauge it correctly

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

But it's still guesswork in guessing why people voted for a 'remain'party, not all might've due to Brexit, 

If a political party stands on a manifesto pledge to revoke article 50, then if elected all they need to do is to revoke Article 50. Are you suggesting that every policy matter in a party’s manifesto is then retested in a referendum after the party wins an election? That’s not how our political system works.

Every single credible poll since 2016 has shown a clear majority in favour of remaining in the EU, the biggest and most comprehensive of those showing 55-56% in favour of remaining.

Why on earth waste more time on money on an exercise to find out what we already know? 😵

12 minutes ago, melthebell said:

But it's still guesswork in guessing why people voted for a 'remain'party, not all might've due to Brexit, a referendum is the only way to gauge it correctly

Agree.

An outright commitment to remain could be a big vote loser whereas a commitment to  suspend article 50  pending outcome of a second referendum would appear far more attractive and inclusive.