The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

26 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

So after moaning that Boris has become PM unelected and only 90,00 voted him as leader of the Conservative Party which made him Prime Minister Jeremy is now writing begging letters to 300 people asking them to make him PM.

irony or hypocrisy? 

Its all so personal for some! He said no such thing.

Corbyn clearly states that the Labour Party wants an alliance to stop a No Deal brexit .  AND  "to seek the confidence of the House for a strictly timed-limited temporary Government with the aim of calling a General Election. . . " 

Where the whole country would decide. I await Boris to submit himself to the judgement of the same number of people. 

1 minute ago, Flanker7 said:

Corbyn clearly states that the Labour Party wants an alliance to stop a No Deal brexit .  AND  "to seek the confidence of the House for a strictly timed-limited temporary Government with the aim of calling a General Election. . . " 

Where the whole country would decide. I await Boris to submit himself to the judgement of the same number of people. 

Really? Corbyn clearly states in his letter

"I would, as Leader of the Opposition, seek the confidence of the Houses Of Parliament for a strictly time -limited temporary government"

The person who obtains the confidence of the house within 2 weeks in the event of a vote of no confidence in the incumbent PM becomes PM. That is his aim. what else would you call the leader of the government?

I doubt it will have enough support which is the impression I got on hearing about the reaction to Jeremy corbyn's plan.  But If its possible I'm in favour of the idea if it prevents a no-deal Brexit. 

29 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

The person who obtains the confidence of the house within 2 weeks in the event of a vote of no confidence in the incumbent PM becomes PM. That is his aim. what else would you call the leader of the government?

Which once Article 50 is withdrawn or extended would be followed immediately by a general election.

What’s wrong with that?

He doesn't have the backing of the Lib Dems. 

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson said she would not support making Mr Corbyn prime minister.

She called him "divisive" and said he would not command MPs' support.

In speech on Thursday, she said her party would work with others to stop a no-deal exit but Mr Corbyn was not a leader "respected on both sides of the House".

Instead, she suggested Tory MP Ken Clarke or Labour's Harriet Harman could lead an emergency government to prevent a no-deal on the 31 October deadline

If only this had been acted upon in 2016, Labour might not be such a laughing stock.

Labour MPs pass no-confidence motion in Jeremy Corbyn

The 172-40 vote, which is not binding, follows resignations from the shadow cabinet and calls on Mr Corbyn to quit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647458

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

So after moaning that Boris has become PM unelected and only 90,00 voted him as leader of the Conservative Party which made him Prime Minister Jeremy is now writing begging letters to 300 people asking them to make him PM.

irony or hypocrisy? 

Insanity.

Angel1.

I rather like the idea of Jeremy being a caretaker Prime Minister.   He would be well suited to wearing a brown overall  with a large sweeping brush in his hands.

On 15/08/2019 at 12:05, Flanker7 said:

I’ve said in another thread to  do with brexit. Parliament had the chance to vote for the withdrawal agreement knowing fully about the EU stating it wouldn’t open it up again. Corbyn whipped the Labour Party to vote against  it really sticks in my throat listening to who were against a deal clearly knowing it was the only one on the table now complaining about a no deal brexit.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Corbyn whipped the Labour Party to vote against  it really sticks in my throat listening to who were against a deal clearly knowing it was the only one on the table now complaining about a no deal brexit.

Not at all.

Many Labour (and some Conservative) MPs voted against the withdrawal agreement in the hope and expectation that the whole sorry mess will end in the UK remaining in the EU, which I would say is now the most likely outcome.

It is now either no-deal or remain.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is now either no-deal or remain.

I think you're being over optimistic - it's some sort of deal based on May's or no deal. There isn't time for anything else - certainly given the glacial speed Corbyn operates at whilst trying to find another fence to sit on - and can't see parliament voting for anything but another extension to Artcle 50 to give time for a deal to be struck. Certainly can't see a majority in favour of another referendum.

Edited by Longcol