The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

4 hours ago, bendix said:

Before I answer, are those your words or someone else's?

As always, your position is to slogan-heavy simplistic.    It's a process, not an event.  Workers campaign for better conditions, employers recognise that happier more relaxed workers are more productive.  Everyone wins.  Work gets easier, employers get richer, more people are employed.  Lovely jubbly.

Yet more evidence that capitalism has built in defence mechanisms.

Perhaps they have tried to speak with the leadership, but feel it has gotten them nowhere.  So they have to do this to step up the pressure.

I admire your loyalty TCH, even if it seems blind to me.

But yes it really is that simple, you can wrap it up how you want, but the workers have had to fight for their rights, and still do...

We now have a gig economy and zero hour contracts,  and you only have to look at the companies like Sports direct that have tried to take the workers rights back to the Victorian days, 

The workers formed unions to fight back, they then formed the Labour party to fight for better rights for themselves in parliament,

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I guess some just can't see that Labour is broken.  And its broken because of Corbyn.  No doubt a nice man, but a career backbencher with no leadership qualities.

All those years ago when Tories were recommended to join Labour for £3 to vote him in, It worked didn't it?

Its only broken because the media have not been fair on the reporting of events, When Corbyn gets to power, the bias media really needs sorting out, how can we call it a democracy when the media is so bias, even the BBC have given up pretending to be impartial.

It looks like we have got to the stage where the media moguls choose who will lead parliament and who will lead the  opposition

22 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Its only broken because the media have not been fair on the reporting of events, When Corbyn gets to power, the bias media really needs sorting out, how can we call it a democracy when the media is so bias, even the BBC have given up pretending to be impartial.

It looks like we have got to the stage where the media moguls choose who will lead parliament and who will lead the  opposition

As interesting as that would to watch (from afar, in the same Brexit-perving kind of way as currently)...it ain't ever happening I'm afraid.

If Johnson calls his anticipated GE as media noises would have us believe, FPTP will make it a completely unpredictable free-for-all everywhere but the safest seat (of which there won't be many), and it is doubtful in the extreme that the resulting coalition government would have Corbyn at its head.

If Johnson doesn't, the effects of Brexit biting by the time of the next GE, or the enduring saga of Brexit if it still hasn't happened by then, will weigh down Labour and the Tories at the ballot box in equal measure. If Corbyn hasn't had the heave by then, which is a big enough 'if'.

Better get used to the idea soon, if you don't want to hurt too much.

Edited by L00b

15 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Hate to break it to you but this has been happening for decades.

19 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And here we have the crux of this whole thing.

If Labour is so completely unelectable, why is such profound effort being expended to destroy Corbyn and demonise Labour?

Not everyone thinks like you.  Many of us are worried about a potential PM that calls Hamas his friends, then his brothers and then says it shouldn't be classified as a terrorist organisation. Many of us are worried that a potential PM would share an anti-semitic tweet and are also worried that his inner circle have interfered in internal disciplinary hearings for anti-semitism and have threatened whistle blowers with legal action. 

It is fine that none of this makes him unfit to be the PM in your eyes.  We all have different opinions and all have one vote.

You see revealing the above to just be an attempt at smearing Corbyn.  I see it as revealing the character of the man.  Do you not think the electorate should be informed of this?

15 hours ago, banjodeano said:

But yes it really is that simple, you can wrap it up how you want, but the workers have had to fight for their rights, and still do...

We now have a gig economy and zero hour contracts,  and you only have to look at the companies like Sports direct that have tried to take the workers rights back to the Victorian days, 

The workers formed unions to fight back, they then formed the Labour party to fight for better rights for themselves in parliament,

Are zero hour contracts popular with the people that have them?

31 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Hate to break it to you but this has been happening for decades.

Yep thats true, but it has got worse this last few years without a doubt

24 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Not everyone thinks like you.  Many of us are worried about a potential PM that calls Hamas his friends, then his brothers and then says it shouldn't be classified as a terrorist organisation. Many of us are worried that a potential PM would share an anti-semitic tweet and are also worried that his inner circle have interfered in internal disciplinary hearings for anti-semitism and have threatened whistle blowers with legal action. 

It is fine that none of this makes him unfit to be the PM in your eyes.  We all have different opinions and all have one vote.

You see revealing the above to just be an attempt at smearing Corbyn.  I see it as revealing the character of the man.  Do you not think the electorate should be informed of this?

No...

27 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Do you not think the electorate should be informed of this?

Last week a survey showed that 56% of Conservative members saw Islam as a threat to Britain.

It’s funny that nobody’s talking about that.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

Last week a survey showed that 56% of Conservative members saw Islam as a threat to Britain.

You ignored the question I see.

Funnily enough I was going to comment on the Tories and the allegations of Islamophobia.  I worried that my response was already too long so decided against it.

I would say that the allegations towards the Tory party are not as serious or as widespread yet.

I would absolutely back an investigation into this.  Especially if the EDL were to step up their anti-muslim rhetoric to include the aim to exterminate all Muslims from the planet.  Them the Conservative leader was to call the EDL his friends, then his brothers and then criticise the labelling of the EDL as terrorists.  Lastly the same leader sharing an Islamophobia tweet I would want wall to wall media coverage.  I would want proper investigations. 

I assume you, not being a fanatical fan of Corbyn nor an anti-semite, would criticise the media if they did what I wanted?

25 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In fairness, given a third of the UK population thinks that anyway, and given that Tory party members are statistically older, rural and southern, that figure isn't as high as I would have thought.  I would also think it's worth speculating whether Islamophobia amongst Labour voters is an issue, or rather used to be before such Labour voters abandoned them for Brexit Party or UKIP.

But look, cant we keep a Labour Party thread about Labour, and discuss Tory party attitudes in the Tory thread.   Whataboutism is a weak argument.  You can't defend Labour antisemitism by highlighting Tory islamophobia, or vice versa. 

Edited by bendix

2 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

They're popular with Labour, as they use them at conferences and in many of their councils.

Which nicely goes back to the Labour hypocrisy posts a few pages back.

6 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Yep thats true, but it has got worse this last few years without a doubt

No...

I too would like to see a source for that claim. 

Before the personal anecdotes come in ‘well my friend is on a zhc and hates it...’, nobody is saying that everyone is happy, merely that polls suggest the majority are..