The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Perhaps they simply listen to her on radio interviews, woefully unprepared and base their opinions on what they hear, not on race.   

I suspect that the vast majority don’t listen to the radio but instead get most of their information about Abbott from stuff circulated on the internet.

As I have already said, plenty of people make blunders and are poorly prepared but the response and attention given to Abbotts blunders are way out of all proportion. I will admit that some of it is anti-Corbynism but even among all the criticism of Corbyn’s front bench she still tops the poll by some margin.

Her propensity for blunders is a gift for racists and misogynists but it does not excuse or justify the abuse she gets.

26 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I suspect that the vast majority don’t listen to the radio but instead get most of their information about Abbott from stuff circulated on the internet.

As I have already said, plenty of people make blunders and are poorly prepared but the response and attention given to Abbotts blunders are way out of all proportion. I will admit that some of it is anti-Corbynism but even among all the criticism of Corbyn’s front bench she still tops the poll by some margin.

Her propensity for blunders is a gift for racists and misogynists but it does not excuse or justify the abuse she gets.

You ever thought that some of it is highlighted because she is probably the 3rd ranked person (behind JC and the deputy) in the Labour Party and, if Labour ever get into a position of power, would be the Home secretary. A person, regardless of colour or gender should not be as ill prepared as she is or unable to respond to questions relating to her seniority of employment and potential employment.

And what is it if people of colour highlight issues around her? 

Edited by sheffbag

1 minute ago, sheffbag said:

You ever thought that some of it is highlighted because she is probably the 3rd ranked person (behidn JC and the deputy) in th eLabour Party

I do, and have absolutely no problem with legitimate criticism of people who put themselves up for office, but that probably constitutes about 5% of the criticism levelled at her.

It is the motivation for the other 95% that I question.

With regards to her famous mistakes over police spending, it wasn't the mistakes that annoyed me, it was the lying ("I got them right in another interview") - she didn't.

When thinking of why Dianne Abbot gets so much stick, racism must be considered.  There are other factors, such as her appearance being outside the boundaries of what most would consider good looking.  This really shouldn't matter, but women (and increasingly men), are judged on their looks.

Had someone like Megan Markle or Candace Owens made the same mistakes, I feel they would be forgiven easier.

I also feel that Abbott isn't particularly likeable.  Her racist comments about what white people like to do upset people far more than it ought to.  She does come across as cantankerous.

Despite the fact she has said some dodgy stuff, I have a great deal of respect for her.

3 hours ago, max said:

Well done you for highlighting Diane Abbott's achievements, not many people would acknowledge these and rely on the press for their perception of her.

As to your question, we live in age of soundbites and when given and taken out of context I think anyone  for whom the knives were out would not look their best.

You do not have to rely on soundbites, just You Tube Diane Abbott and fill your boots. The amount of gaffs she makes is legendary.

Angel1.

3 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

There are other factors, such as her appearance being outside the boundaries of what most would consider good looking.  

Lawlz! 

8 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Dianne Abbot is one of life's great mysteries.

Her acheivemnts are staggering.  She attended Oxbridge, she is the first female black MP and the longest ever serving black MP.  She has achieved far more in her life than most of us will in ours.

She must be very intelligent.

How then, does she come across so thick?

She's in the Labour Party. If she was a Tory you'd be tugging your forlock and doffing your cap!

Edited by Mister Gee

14 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

She's in the Labour Party. If she was a Tory you'd be tugging your forlock and doffing your cap!

You think people in the Labour Party sound thick?

I have to disagree.  They sometimes have some crazy ideas, and can sometimes cause hundreds of thousands of people through lies and deception.  However, they have fought hard for many of the rights we now hold.

3 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

You think people in the Labour Party sound thick?

I have to disagree.  They sometimes have some crazy ideas, and can sometimes cause hundreds of thousands of people through lies and deception.  However, they have fought hard for many of the rights we now hold.

Can they really?

12 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

and can sometimes cause hundreds of thousands of people through lies and deception. 

Like what? I’ve had a vasectomy! 🙄

7 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Can they really?

Yes but we are getting away from the point. 

Why do you think that Labour Party members sound thick?  Is it because they tend to have more northern accents amoung them?  A bit more working class?

Edit:  ahh I see, meant to put the deaths of....

Edited by JamesR123
Correcting an earlier error

Labour anti-Semitism claims prompt dismay in party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48946070

Once again, hand wringing from those in the party that care, a slap down and more heads in the sand ignoring the matter from those that don't.

As long as this drags on and you have people in the party acknowledging the issue, while at the same time you have those denying it, it just drags the party name through the mud.  

Labour could do itself some real favours by giving it's Palestinian obsession a rest and concentrating on this country and its woeful leadership for a while.