The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

20 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

if you read the article that you provided it says ...."On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

So from your link we can assume that they were once in the IRA but no longer part of the group, and they were invited to the house of commons, 

And also further reading says Gerry Maclochlainn  was arrested and charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and possession of explosives. i wonder if that is exactly true, because from your link it also says "people like the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six, who were convicted of terrorism, only for the convictions to be overturned later." it looked like the police of the time were stitching everyone up, so whether Maclochlainne was a member of the IRA is debatable,

But lets not forget also that our own government were talking to the IRA, as even your link says "It is now known that the British government maintained contact to the IRA leadership through a secret back channel for much of this period too". so its bad for Corbyn to speak to them to resolve the terrorist issue, but ok for anyone else..

but also lets not forget Councillor Maria Gatland Conservative Member for Croham Ward Was a member of the IRA She wrote a book in the early 70s To take up arms in the 1970s

Ok, I'm convinced that it's all made up. I trust him implicitly now 🙄

Its good that banjo so zealously argues the case about whether the Messiah  met or didn't meet the IRA, yet studiously ignores the Fake News i posted about him not just meeting, but enthusiastically hosting and welcoming  his Hezbollah and Hammas into the Houses of Parliament, from his very own mouth.

It's amusing how we seem to lurch from people suggesting Corbyn was an important part of the peace process in Northern Ireland because he was having discussions with the IRA before the UK government did, to trying to prove that he never spoke to anyone from the IRA.

14 hours ago, woodview said:

I'm asking you to clarify if I'm wrong and comfirm he never, ever met IRA or hamas members.

Blimey... Does it really matter?

Corbyn is a man of peace, always has been. won the Ghandi peace prize etc.

Thatcher, if you remember, wouldn't even allow the terrorists words on television or radio, which was her take on dealing with it,

whereas Corbyn believes in talking to the enemy rather than bombing them.

Different approaches, I know which I prefer, but it's a matter of personal choice.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Thatcher, if you remember, wouldn't even allow the terrorists words on television or radio, which was her take on dealing with it,

Different approaches, I know which I prefer, but it's a matter of personal choice.

Unless that enemy is a former Labour MP, then he kicks up a fuss. 

51 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

It's amusing how we seem to lurch from people suggesting Corbyn was an important part of the peace process in Northern Ireland because he was having discussions with the IRA before the UK government did, to trying to prove that he never spoke to anyone from the IRA.

Nobody has ever claimed that Corbyn was having discussions with the IRA.

What people have said was that Corbyn was calling for people to start talks with their political representatives long before Major, Blair and Bertie Aherne actually started doing this which ended up in the ceasefire and Belfast agreement.

I find it funny that no one has anything to say about David Blunkett chairing a meeting in Sheffield with Gerry Adams as a guest speaker while Adams was Chief of Staff of the IRA. Actually, it's not that funny at all. Blunkett is on the right of the Labour Party and therefore one of the 'good guys'.

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm fine with that approach too. I have two problems though.

First, why not just say exactly what you said, rather than a twisted set of untruths.

Second, why he then stropped out of a brexit meeting because chuku Umumna was present? That was the train of conversation.

45 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Nobody has ever claimed that Corbyn was having discussions with the IRA.

What people have said was that Corbyn was calling for people to start talks with their political representatives long before Major, Blair and Bertie Aherne actually started doing this which ended up in the ceasefire and Belfast agreement.

I find it funny that no one has anything to say about David Blunkett chairing a meeting in Sheffield with Gerry Adams as a guest speaker while Adams was Chief of Staff of the IRA. Actually, it's not that funny at all. Blunkett is on the right of the Labour Party and therefore one of the 'good guys'.

Are you just going to ignore the video of Corbyn talking about hosting his friends from hammas or hezbollah, after telling people not to litter the thread with links because it’s fake news?

Because, you know, it feels like you’re ignoring it. 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Another  COrbynista play right out of the Trump playbook.  

From ‘there was no meetings / collusion’ to ‘so what if there were meetings / collusion.’

you couldn’t make it up.  

7 hours ago, bendix said:

Corbyn:

‘I’m  delighted to host an event in Parliament where our friends from Hezbollah  . .  .and Hamas will be attending. ‘

In his own words.  Perhaps this is fake news and an Israeli construct also?  

You’re welcome TCH

To be honest i have not watched the video, but i think i have probably seen it before...

Do you think when he refers to Hezbula or whatever as friends that he actually regards them as friends? or do you think that he may have actually been trying to set a conciliatory tone? perhaps making any potential meeting start without any preconceptions ?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes it does matter. It casts an important light on his intentions which are paramount if ever he actually became PM

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Are you just going to ignore the video of Corbyn talking about hosting his friends from hammas or hezbollah, after telling people not to litter the thread with links because it’s fake news?

I never claimed it was fake news.

What I did say was that repeated claims that Corbyn is a terrorist supporter and has met with terrorist organisations is fake news. He has always condemned violence on all sides of a conflict and has never met with any terrorist organisation. 

You may say that is semantics to point out that there is a difference between actual militants and political representatives of the communities from which these militants come. I don't really care.  The purpose of these claims is to discredit Corbyn to a target audience who in all  probability neither know nor care about the difference.

As I said earlier, David Blunkett chaired a public meeting with Gerry Adams in Sheffield when Adams was still Chief of Staff of the IRA. That was a lot closer to the actual IRA than Corbyn ever got but nobody seems in the least bit bothered by that. As I also said earlier, if Blunkett wasn't on the right of the Labour party they probably would.

I'm not a fan of Corbyn's but he is neither an anti-semite nor a supporter of terrorism. To keep repeating that he is either of those things, weakens your agument, demeans genuine political argument and ultimately makes you look foolish.

Blunkett though isnt Leader of the Opposition is he?