The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

7 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

But then it goes on to say......But in an interview with the BBC’s Andrew Neil last week, Mr Corbyn said: “I never met the IRA. I obviously did meet people from Sinn Fein, as indeed I met people from other organisations, and I always made the point that there had to be a dialogue and a peace process.”

Which is a false statement, as he met those two on 1984.

Edited by woodview

4 minutes ago, woodview said:

Which is a false statement, as he met those two on 1984.

no, because if you read on it says....

"On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

7 hours ago, banjodeano said:

"On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

Well, either he's lying (wouldn't be the first time), they're lying or all 3 of them are lying.

my money would be on option 3

Corbyn:

‘I’m  delighted to host an event in Parliament where our friends from Hezbollah  . .  .and Hamas will be attending. ‘

In his own words.  Perhaps this is fake news and an Israeli construct also?  

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I didn't.

My original post asked people not to post links to things which didn't actually show that Corbyn had met any of those groups as they don't prove what you are trying to claim and it has been done to death before.

You’re welcome TCH

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Corbyn:

‘I’m  delighted to host an event in Parliament where our friends from Hezbollah  . .  .and Hamas will be attending. ‘

In his own words.  Perhaps this is fake news and an Israeli construct also?  

Excellent, here's how the Labour fanbois on here reacted.

9 hours ago, banjodeano said:

They told him they were not in the IRA. Do you think that's really good enough considering the circumstances. It's not like he didn't know anything about them. 

These are people that were found guilty of IRA terrorism related offences (conspiracy to cause explosions) and sentenced to time in prison. Then, just weeks after an IRA explosion killed an MP (and 4 others) he invites them to Parliament! Can you not see how incredibly incendiary that is. 

Imagine if something like that happened today. Imagine if a sitting MP invited people to parliament who had been found guilty of conspiracy to cause explosions just weeks after an explosion by the group the people were members of or linked to killed an MP! There would (rightly) but absolute uproar and they wouldn't be an MP for long. 

Edited by Robin-H

It’s not about exposing fanbois or anything like that. 

Its about the truth. When someone says you can’t post links proving he met terror groups because we want no fake news on here, that message in itself - posted by a respected poster - perpetuates the fake news agenda itself. 

When someone attempts to deny Corbyn met IRA members by arguing semantics that is the same thing. 

Nobody - nobody - not even his most fervent admirer can seriously deny Corbyn has a long history of associating with, supporting, sharing platforms with some people most of us would consider to be terrorists; not if they want to have a shrewd of credibility anyway. 

Does that make Corbyn a terrorist?  Of course not. He believes in what he believes in passionately and is to be admired for that to a degree.  But please, let’s not argue apples are oranges.  If he has met these people, let’s not deny it when we can see it with our own eyes.  That is a trick straight out of Trump’s book. 

It was petty and churlish of him not to meet Umuna. His justification for sharing platforms with Hammas has been that its important to engage these people, hear their views and create dialogue.  To not do so with Umuna at a time of national crisis exposes him to charges of petty think skinned vindictiveness. 

9 hours ago, banjodeano said:

hahaha , so , Gerry MacLochlainn, the bloke who was convicted in 1980, on explosive charges and sentenced to 6 years jail, who Corbyn met in 1984 in London, wasn't in the IRA? Do you honestly think that's a believable statement???? Come on, get real.

All it does is cement that he'll lie, if it's an awkward situation. Why doesn't he just say '"yes, I met these people, because I am interested in a political solution to the terrorist activity they are involved in." Repeating a clear lie, just damages his whole reputation.

99% of people wouldn't believe it, and I really don't think you do either.

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

hahaha , so , Gerry MacLochlainn, the bloke who was convicted in 1980, on explosive charges and sentenced to 6 years jail, who Corbyn met in 1984 in London, wasn't in the IRA? Do you honestly think that's a believable statement???? Come on, get real.

All it does is cement that he'll lie, if it's an awkward situation. Why doesn't he just say '"yes, I met these people, because I am interested in a political solution to the terrorist activity they are involved in." Repeating a clear lie, just damages his whole reputation.

99% of people wouldn't believe it, and I really don't think you do either.

if you read the article that you provided it says ...."On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

So from your link we can assume that they were once in the IRA but no longer part of the group, and they were invited to the house of commons, 

And also further reading says Gerry Maclochlainn  was arrested and charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and possession of explosives. i wonder if that is exactly true, because from your link it also says "people like the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six, who were convicted of terrorism, only for the convictions to be overturned later." it looked like the police of the time were stitching everyone up, so whether Maclochlainne was a member of the IRA is debatable,

But lets not forget also that our own government were talking to the IRA, as even your link says "It is now known that the British government maintained contact to the IRA leadership through a secret back channel for much of this period too". so its bad for Corbyn to speak to them to resolve the terrorist issue, but ok for anyone else..

but also lets not forget Councillor Maria Gatland Conservative Member for Croham Ward Was a member of the IRA She wrote a book in the early 70s To take up arms in the 1970s

5 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

if you read the article that you provided it says ...."On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

So from your link we can assume that they were once in the IRA but no longer part of the group, and they were invited to the house of commons, 

And also further reading says Gerry Maclochlainn  was arrested and charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and possession of explosives. i wonder if that is exactly true, because from your link it also says "people like the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six, who were convicted of terrorism, only for the convictions to be overturned later." it looked like the police of the time were stitching everyone up, so whether Maclochlainne was a member of the IRA is debatable,

But lets not forget also that our own government were talking to the IRA, as even your link says "It is now known that the British government maintained contact to the IRA leadership through a secret back channel for much of this period too". so its bad for Corbyn to speak to them to resolve the terrorist issue, but ok for anyone else..

but also lets not forget Councillor Maria Gatland Conservative Member for Croham Ward Was a member of the IRA She wrote a book in the early 70s To take up arms in the 1970s

Was Gerry's conviction overturned? 

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

Was Gerry's conviction overturned? 

and the point is?

Just now, banjodeano said:

and the point is?

Gerry's conviction wasn't overturned. There was nothing to suggest that they didn't conspire to cause an explosion. 

If Boris Johnson invited a convicted member or ex member of the National Front to parliament a couple of weeks after Jo Cox had been murdered you think that would be OK?