The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

He also says:

Mr Corbyn will also say his party wants to stop the roll out of Universal Credit and ban zero-hours contacts.

Yet just a couple of months ago:

Labour backtracks on pledge to scrap universal credit which was 'dramatic language'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-universal-credit-benefit-system-scrap-rework-rename-john-mcdonnell-shami-chakrabarti-a8583241.html

Their plans and schemes change with the weather.  And when its the country's money he's playing with, this is why people don't trust Labour.

And zero hours contracts are still in place at many Labour councils and conferences - and have been doing since before 2013.

If he was serious about ZHC then Labour would have abolished them years ago and paraded this fact.

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

He also says:

Yet just a couple of months ago:

Labour backtracks on pledge to scrap universal credit which was 'dramatic language'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-universal-credit-benefit-system-scrap-rework-rename-john-mcdonnell-shami-chakrabarti-a8583241.html

Their plans and schemes change with the weather.  And when its the country's money he's playing with, this is why people don't trust Labour.

And zero hours contracts are still in place at many Labour councils and conferences - and have been doing since before 2013.

If he was serious about ZHC then Labour would have abolished them years ago and paraded this fact.

what has labour said to imply they are going to back track ?

19 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A government doesn't have money. The funding is from taxpayers. The government haven't "stolen" money from councils, they've reduced the amount of taxpayer money distributed to them. The reason being that the government were spending more money each year than the taxpayer could fund. This is a "deficit". Running a deficit year on year results in "debt", which to service costs "interest". The more spent on interest, the less can be spent on public services, hence a need to balance the books rather than run a huge deficit each year.

Hope that helps.

No it doesn't because it's all rhubarb.

The British Government along with all other Governments are all deep in the doo doo.

It didn't stop the Tories 'finding' a few billion stashed in a drawer a budget or two ago.

I think they released a couple of hundred quid from it as a sweetener to some body or another to fish for a few votes and put the rest back in the drawer.

They've just tried to bribe Toyota with over £80m of 'our' money to try to show how good a job May's Government is doing.

Toyota told them where to shove it.

No doubt she'll blame 'the last Labour Government'.

That's what they usually do.

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Saint Jez to announce today that he will raise the minimum wage to £10 by 2020. Love to know 

a) How will he do it it considering Labour are not the governing body

b) How he will pay for it

Mind you ignore b). Its never happening.

I'll explain why this idea is (and always was) a proper load of tripe.

Say I employ 20 people who I need to pay more to comply with the minimum wage.

The first thing I would do (as an Entrepreneur) is look to raise my prices to compensate.

Whilst I'm paying my workers more, I'll naturally give myself a bit extra.

(I'll give myself a good few quid more than I'm giving the lackies)

All employers will do exactly the same thing, so us employers will be even better off than the workers we 'keep in a job' than we were before.

So my workers will go to the shops for their goods and find fruit and veg, flour, meat, chocolate, Pizzas, cheese and every other commodity and service has gone up by a few pence (or probably more knowing how the Supermarkets work) . Within 3 months, the extra money that's been given to them (and probably a pound or more too) will be wiped out.

Of course it won't bother me cos I'm minted.

The only way for it to work is to improve the minimum wage and forbid price rises.

And the chances of that are ...............................................  ??  

Edited by Hotmale 1954

5 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

No it doesn't because it's all rhubarb.

The British Government along with all other Governments are all deep in the doo doo.

It didn't stop the Tories 'finding' a few billion stashed in a drawer a budget or two ago.

I think they released a couple of hundred quid from it as a sweetener to some body or another to fish for a few votes and put the rest back in the drawer.

They've just tried to bribe Toyota with over £80m of 'our' money to try to show how good a job May's Government is doing.

Toyota told them where to shove it.

No doubt she'll blame 'the last Labour Government'.

That's what they usually do.

Has the deficit increased or reduced under the Conservatives?

Depends which figures you want to look at.

A labour person would show you that GDP debt has increased in the last 5 years

A conservative person would show you that UK borrowing deficit has declined sharply in the last 5 years

Both are on the same report on the ONS site https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/bulletins/ukgovernmentdebtanddeficitforeurostatmaast/september2018

A labour person would say that the govt is mishandling the economy

A tory would say " how much did the deficit rise under the various labour governments"

If Labour got in (never with Saint Jez at the helm) then the one of the measures of deficit may rise, a different one may fall, which ever suits that parties view at that time would be used. 

Its all a load of codswallop and subject to interpretation. 

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

Depends which figures you want to look at.

A labour person would show you that GDP debt has increased in the last 5 years

A conservative person would show you that UK borrowing deficit has declined sharply in the last 5 years

Both are on the same report on the ONS site https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/bulletins/ukgovernmentdebtanddeficitforeurostatmaast/september2018

A labour person would say that the govt is mishandling the economy

A tory would say " how much did the deficit rise under the various labour governments"

If Labour got in (never with Saint Jez at the helm) then the one of the measures of deficit may rise, a different one may fall, which ever suits that parties view at that time would be used. 

Its all a load of codswallop and subject to interpretation. 

That’s because debt and deficit are very different things, it’s not just down to interpretation. 

The deficit has been reduced significantly. 

Debt has continued to rise. Debt cannot fall until the deficit becomes a surplus.

in that case in response to WIseowl - The Deficit has risen and is now in decline.

6 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

in that case in response to WIseowl - The Deficit has risen and is now in decline.

The question was what has the deficit done under the Conservatives, in which case the answer is decline.

It’s dropped pretty much consistently since 2010, there wasn’t a period when it continued to rise.. 

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5922/economics/uk-budget-deficit-2/

18 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

So which of those would you like to use for your comment?  

I'm sure the democratic vote which made her an MP with over 50% of the people who voted should carry more weight than a bunch of activists hell bent on removing anyone who dares criticise Saint Jez.