The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

2 hours ago, Doubtful said:

I lived in Liverpool in the 80s when Militant Tendency took control.

I'm getting deja vu.?

It gets worse:

Exclusive: Derek Hatton is back in the Labour Party - 33 years after he was kicked out

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/exclusive-derek-hatton-back-labour-15210254

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, AlexAtkin said:

He was never really in a position to do any damage though was he.

This is purely about her doing what is best for her constituents, and the best thing would be to get a Labour government. 

Undermining the party right now is stabbing yourself in the back.

Let me get this right.  When Corbyn was voting against the labour party leadership by voting with the conservatives on no fewer than 400 occasions, dissent against the party leadership is fine.

But when any other Labour MP dissents against Corbyn, they must be kicked out?

Seriously . .this is Corbynista cultism gone mad.  

Thankfully, Corbyn is now Dear Leader and managing to make the Labour Party wholly unelectable again, despite facign the worst conservative government in modern history. That takes a lot of incompetence.

25 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

John McDonnell accused of 'hatred' after saying he would never be friends with a Tory

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/john-mcdonnell-accused-of-hatred-as-labour-shadow-chancellor-says-he-would-never-be-friends-with-a-a3996771.html

Stubborn to the end. 

Not just him, Sheffield Greens have a similar stance.

54 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

John McDonnell accused of 'hatred' after saying he would never be friends with a Tory

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/john-mcdonnell-accused-of-hatred-as-labour-shadow-chancellor-says-he-would-never-be-friends-with-a-a3996771.html

Stubborn to the end. 

In the article he says:

“I go back to my constituency and I’ve never seen human suffering life this, in all the times I’ve been an MP and in the 40 years I’ve lived in my constituency.

From the quick search I've done, it's not an affluent area, but you would have thought a senior Labour MP would be aware of human suffering greater than that in his west London borough.

Silly comment and that makes you wonder where some peoples minds are at. Prejudice takes many forms, he needs to take a look at himself. Lots of traditional Labour supporters wonder where the party is going / gone.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Oh dear, what's Clive Lewis, Shadow Treasury Minister up to?

MP Clive Lewis 'mocking suicide' in Commons sparks row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-46294249/mp-clive-lewis-mocking-suicide-in-commons-sparks-row

Think the barrel is being scraped on that one though. I can take exception to lots of stupid comments, but I think that this one would be joining the 'looking to be offended' crowd.

13 hours ago, woodview said:

In the article he says:

“I go back to my constituency and I’ve never seen human suffering life this, in all the times I’ve been an MP and in the 40 years I’ve lived in my constituency.

From the quick search I've done, it's not an affluent area, but you would have thought a senior Labour MP would be aware of human suffering greater than that in his west London borough.

Silly comment and that makes you wonder where some peoples minds are at. Prejudice takes many forms, he needs to take a look at himself. Lots of traditional Labour supporters wonder where the party is going / gone.

That's pretty much what the UN Inspector said too. He said the Government's austerity measures were a disgrace that had lead to 'Social calamity and economic disaster,' and that Tory policies had replaced 'British compassion' with 'a punative, mean spirited and callous approach' to the poor.

Not good..

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

That's pretty much what the UN Inspector said too. He said the Government's austerity measures were a disgrace that had lead to 'Social calamity and economic disaster,' and that Tory policies had replaced 'British compassion' with 'a punative, mean spirited and callous approach' to the poor.

Not good..

If John McDonnell has never seen human suffering in 40 years, like he sees in West London, then he is either telling porkies, or he has never travelled, or watched TV. Either way, the comment and his 'tory friend' comment diminishes my opinion of him, and consequently the party is is senior within. He's just hammering more nails in. The country needs a decent opposition, they are failing us.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Not good..

Its amazing how much he supposedly uncovered from just a 12 day whistle stop tour around the UK at selected small locations of deprivation, and concluded that its national.

Its also interesting to hear that he himself claims his work is not reviewed or checked before it is published.

He also uses figures from Institute for Fiscal Studies and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, both of which have misled with statistics in the past and discussed on here.

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Its amazing how much he supposedly uncovered from just a 12 day whistle stop tour around the UK at selected small locations of deprivation, and concluded that its national.

Its also interesting to hear that he himself claims his work is not reviewed or checked before it is published.

He also uses figures from Institute for Fiscal Studies and the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, both of which have misled with statistics in the past and discussed on here.

In other words he's independent and not commited to any particular party or point of view. I believe a large part of his assessment was from visiting actual places and meeting people and calling it as he saw it.  As for his use of statistics, it's all very well to dismiss them, but you (and I) will also use them when it suits.

I really don't know how much proof people need that things are very bad for large sections of the population. Homelessness, food banks, diminishing services, (including the police) and growing poor mental health are all indicators of  decline. There are plenty more and they will no doubt increase greatly with the roll out of Universal Credit in Sheffield this December.

The Tories' 'Austerity' choices have indeed had dreadful effects on many, but of course we are not 'all in it together' and those lucky enough to have dodged the current problems may well find they catch up with them when they need help only to find it isn't there. To deny it is happening is to really have your head well buried in the sand.

Not denying it Anna, whats Labour's plan to reverse it or stem the tide?

Feel free to cost it and then say how much will be left to provide the service