The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

exactly the reason they should have relevant experience.

………………………..

Exactly the reason they should have relevant experience.

how do you get experience of that? fought for the IRA maybe? planted bombs? be irish maybe?

how do you get experience of that? fought for the IRA maybe? planted bombs? be irish maybe?

Ok, so no experience of NI politics or knowledge of the history of what happened there is ok???

What exactly is the job, if no knowledge about it is acceptable!

Yes I do. I'll help with some examples:

Minister for education. Should have worked in education in a teaching and leadership role.

Minister for health. Should have worked in the nhs in a care role and in management.

All ministers should have worked in roles requiring management of large teams and large budgets.

That type of thing.

in principal, that sounds good but you need these people to get interested in standing for parliament for the party that eventually forms the government.

though ability at one level doesn't always equate to competence at a higher level and someone with long service on the inside may not be so keen to accept and deal with any percieved issues within their area.

up until 2010, ministers tended to get moved every few months so you would need a pool of people to bring in and anyone moved out would have fewer places to go. i also think anyone wanting to be pm, really needs to have been in a number of ministries to understand how government works.

University followed by a role in the Party, isn't adequate IMO.

in general, i wouldn't dispute that, though i'm sure there are exceptions and it's not hard to keep these people out until they have more experience.

all you need do is join the local party with enough people to control the selection of candidates and use your combined power to not select someone with that background.

once you have a field of candidates with real world experience then you vote according to your individual preferences

---------- Post added 18-11-2018 at 11:57 ----------

Funny how forum Tories are so dismissive of Diane Abbott, but have said nothing about Karen Bradley, the clueless Northern Ireland minister who said:

"I freely admit that when I started this job, I didn’t understand some of the deep-seated and deep-rooted issues that there are in Northern Ireland," she told the magazine.

“I didn’t understand things like when elections are fought for example in Northern Ireland, people who are nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice-versa. "

:help:

it is a bit disturbing that a ni secretary didn't know this and maybe more so that they seemed pleased to admit it.

it makes you wonder what the pm saw in appointing her, maybe she didn't think any mp could be so dim about these things to ask what you would think was an obvious interview question.

a bit like dominic raab not understanding that britain is an island...

a bit like dominic raab not understanding that britain is an island...

To be fair to Dominic Raab, he did tell Andrew Marr this morning that you can't be expected to know everything when you go into a new job! :D

To be fair to Dominic Raab, he did tell Andrew Marr this morning that you can't be expected to know everything when you go into a new job! :D

true, but you would think he had at least some understanding of these things, it's not like its a secret.

I watched it this morning and found him to be entirely unconvincing.

Seemingly doing a good job of spinning himself into knots.

---------- Post added 18-11-2018 at 12:27 ----------

true, but you would think he had at least some understanding of these things, it's not like its a secret.

And he's got all those impact assesments his predecessor produced: "Ports are predominantly at the coast", "Boats float on water" etc.... ;)

Meanwhile st jezza has said he doesn't want a people's vote now, but he might want one later.

Brilliant.

Meanwhile st jezza has said he doesn't want a people's vote now, but he might want one later.

Brilliant.

like the ERG, Labour doesn't have an alternative offering only fantasies which dont stand scrutiny in the cold light of day.

which is why he, shami chakrabarti and the mp for hemsworth did so poorly on tv shows today.

Seemingly doing a good job of spinning himself into knots.

You have the May loyalists like Amber Rudd on one hand and on the other you have the lunatic Rees-Mogg fringe. In the the middle is a large number of Tory MPs who really don't know which way to jump.

At the moment the Brextremists seem to have shown their hand too early and have been exposed as not having the support they have been claiming so the 'neutrals' are doing their best to appear loyal but not too convincingly. :D

That's how democracy is SUPPOSED to work!  The members voted for Corbyn and his policies, so yes MPs that undermine him SHOULD be kicked out.  There's a BIG difference between constructive criticism and undermining the leader btw, nobody should be thrown out for the former.

Refusing to leave after a no confidence vote is undemocratic, plain and simple.  That alone contradicts your claim of her being "a good MP".

Honestly, people moan about SCC making a mess of things and then when the party tries to get rid of the sort of people who caused it, they complain about that too.  There is no pleasing some people.

Edited by AlexAtkin