The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

The increasing unpopularity of Labour with supporters switching to UKIP is alarming, judging by the success UKIP have gained in this area.

Even though I remain a Labour supporter, I blame the Labour party and many of their so-called most devoted supporters for allowing that to happen, they've been asleep and out of touch with public concerns for far too long.

UKIP has the advantage with the leader they have, he makes sure he is seen in the media as often as possible and has improved his image over time with all the publicity, but without him the party would be dead.

but what ive seen

ukip AND nu laBORE are both gaining seats?

just so happens nu laBORE have councils and ukip dont :hihi:

Congratulations,you won:

Parties can win an election without winning. On paper, Labour clearly won. They have gained more than 250 seats (the BBC figures have been ahead of the ones on our result chart, but that's because our figures only get updated when full council results come in), and they are easily ahead on projected national share. If Britons voted like this in a general election, Ed Miliband would be prime minister. But it hasn't felt like a victory for them. If you want to know who feels as if they've won an election, ignore what politicians say, turn the volume down and look at their faces on TV. Who's happiest? It's definitely Ukip first, then probably the Conservatives, then Labour, then Ukip. That's because, given the likelihood of the gap between Labour and the Conservatives closing between now and 2015, Labour know this isn't good enough to offer a strong chance of victory.

but what ive seen

ukip AND nu laBORE are both gaining seats?

just so happens nu laBORE have councils and ukip dont :hihi:

Fancy someone who has previously stated he has never voted in his life, suggesting Labour do a deal with UKIP, with Farage as the new leader.

I'm still recovering from the shock that something so inconceivable should even be considered. :roll:

Fancy someone who has previously stated he has never voted in his life, suggesting Labour do a deal with UKIP, with Farage as the new leader.

I'm still recovering from the shock that something so inconceivable should even be considered. :roll:

huh?

where did i say that?

jeez, wish people could read :roll:

i said

BOTH ukip and labour have gained seats on the tories

labour are the only one of the two that have actual councils tho

so im not sure why its so bad for labour?

huh?

where did i say that?

jeez, wish people could read :roll:

i said

BOTH ukip and labour have gained seats on the tories

labour are the only one of the two that have actual councils tho

so im not sure why its so bad for labour?

I didn't mean you I meant Rickiethecat, I was referring to the comment he made on post38

It isn't just you who doesn't vote there's quite a few of you according to those other threads.

Thank goodness! for that, but they need to up their performance in preparation for next year.

If Ed Miliband sounded inspiring enough to motivate more interest that would help.

I hear ya, I remember when Thatcher had voice and body language training. I remember when, was it last year or the year before, that MPs were to have lessons in conning people, or rather worded differently - Honesty Training. Wait, I'll google ....

"MPs are to be given compulsory “honesty” training to teach them how to behave in public office."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1352924.ece

"MPs to be given compulsory ‘honesty training’ as public distrust grows"

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/15/mps-to-be-given-compulsory-honesty-training-as-public-distrust-grows-4231225/

Edited by Mecky

But would you find that more calamitous than having a convicted kidnapper amongst your party, or your small business representative getting caught employing illegal immigrants?

It's easy to get elected by telling the electorate what they want to hear, the problem the traditional parties face is that they can't do that, otherwise they get pulled up on it, like Clegg & his tuition fees debacle. Farage has done very well to get UKIP elected to the two groups they can't have their headline policy judged on.

:hihi: They lie at every election, very rarely tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and they all have criminals in their ranks. :)

I didn't mean you I meant Rickiethecat, I was referring to the comment he made on post38

It isn't just you who doesn't vote there's quite a few of you according to those other threads.

Mel just thinks its the 1990's still :hihi:

New Labour went out of fashion early in the new century Mel ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/28/diane-abbott-warns-ed-miliband-labour-against-edging-towards-ukip

Diane Abbott warns Milliband.

The Labour MP Diane Abbott has urged Ed Miliband not to chase voters who yearn to see fewer "black, brown or foreign-looking people" on British streets, after he pointed out how a growing West African community had changed the nature of Thurrock in Essex.

The prominent MP said people did not join Labour to see their leader "sounding like a milk-and-water version of Nigel Farage" and warned that the party risked losing votes to Alex Salmond in Scotland if they saw it "edging towards Ukip

In a separate article for the Guardian, Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, promised that Labour would not "ape" Ukip by preying on people's fears, but said Miliband had been right to say "we need to talk more about immigration as well as calling for reform".

Edited by chalga

The prominent MP said people did not join Labour to see their leader "sounding like a milk-and-water version of Nigel Farage" and warned that the party risked losing votes to Alex Salmond in Scotland if they saw it "edging towards Ukip

Never understood Scotland wanting to be independant, not sure what they'd gain from it. I'd laugh if they invaded by Iceland or something

Never understood Scotland wanting to be independant, not sure what they'd gain from it. I'd laugh if they invaded by Iceland or something

Population of Iceland - 320,000.

Population of Scotland - 5,300,000.

Population of Iceland - 320,000.

Population of Scotland - 5,300,000.

And after independence

Iceland 320,000

Scotland 4,300,000

??