The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I realise the public have become disillusioned with the major parties, you've only to view the amount of interest UKIP are getting on this forum compared to the major parties to see how apparent that is.

Its the same in the media, UKIP seem to be hogging the limelight and getting most of the publicity lately, proof that even bad publicity is better then no publicity!

But this thread is about Labour not UKIP, and I have to say I'm quite disgusted at the lack of appearance on here from those who profess to know so much about politics and have in the past expressed support for Labour.

Not a very good sign is it?

The only ones who tell the truth are those who know they won't get elected and therefore can't be held to account.

I agree, and despite the fact that the party I vote for won't get elected, I will vote for them because they are telling the truth. :)

But other parties lie all the time. The Tories have lied about having no plans to raise VAT. The Libdems have lied about voting against tuition fees. Thatcher lied about not raising prescription charges.

They all lie. They lie because telling the truth won't get them elected.

The only ones who tell the truth are those who know they won't get elected and therefore can't be held to account.

That's a pretty lame response. For a start the Lib/Dems are a tiny part of a coalition and not in a position to dictate policy. Re VAT it doesn't concern me because they have to raise a certain amount of tax. So if they don't hit you there they will take it elsewhere.

On the other hand the Lisbon Treaty was a fundamental sell out of this country to Europe. We were promised a vote on it but The Labour Government Lied. I will never vote for that bunch of lying sell out merchants again.

---------- Post added 21-05-2014 at 09:09 ----------

Yes, didn't he sneak in the day after & sign it?

That's the one. Brown knew he was selling us down the river and went in after everyone had gone home hoping we wouldn't notice. What a prat.

Hmmm we said that about Mr No Policies Cameron, we're still saying it even now.

If a chairperson of a political party is elected on charisma, and that seems to be the way of politics rather than actual policies, it would probably be David Milliband

Oddly enough Cameron's policies seem to have brought us back from the brink. We now have more people in work than at any time in the country's history. Unemployment has fallen throughout his term as PM and the country's economy has grown. The level of deficit in the budget has also fallen year on year. Our credit rating as a nation has been saved from disaster along with the spiraling interest rates that would have caused. All this despite inheriting a basket case economy where the last government built up massive debt trying to buy popularity.

On the other hand the Labour Government took over a healthy economy when they came to power in 1997. Despite this they racked up huge debts and increased unemployment.

The last 4 years have been hard due to Labour's financial mismanagement in the previous decade. Things are almost back on an even keel. I am not about to throw away those years of hardship just so another high spending Labour Government can drop us straight back into the mess they made last time.

I'm no fan of Miliband, but I'm completely on his side here. He was asked how much he spent on a weekly shop on Daybreak, and he honestly answered what he thought was right, about £80.

Then that awful ex-BBC presenter jumped on his reply, almost calling him a liar because the average was much higher.

Does she not know what an average is or how its calculated?

It would probably have been better for him if he'd been honest & said I really don't know. The statement he issued afterwards saying that he meant to say he'd spent it on fruit & veg just made things worse. The worse interview was probably the radio interview he did in the same link.

It would probably have been better for him if he'd been honest & said I really don't know. The statement he issued afterwards saying that he meant to say he'd spent it on fruit & veg just made things worse. The worse interview was probably the radio interview he did in the same link.

At least on radio the creepy perv can sniff the female presenter's hair without getting caught on camera!

Oddly enough Cameron's policies seem to have brought us back from the brink. We now have more people in work than at any time in the country's history. Unemployment has fallen throughout his term as PM and the country's economy has grown. The level of deficit in the budget has also fallen year on year. Our credit rating as a nation has been saved from disaster along with the spiraling interest rates that would have caused. All this despite inheriting a basket case economy where the last government built up massive debt trying to buy popularity.

On the other hand the Labour Government took over a healthy economy when they came to power in 1997. Despite this they racked up huge debts and increased unemployment.

The last 4 years have been hard due to Labour's financial mismanagement in the previous decade. Things are almost back on an even keel. I am not about to throw away those years of hardship just so another high spending Labour Government can drop us straight back into the mess they made last time.

There are more people that's why. Under this government - suspension of benefits = employment. This government borrowed far more than expected. Antisocial policies and taxes. Foodbank use quadroupled. Not even bothered to mention ZHC. Great isn't it

Some interesting figures on Foodbanks here:

"The use of food banks went up tenfold under the last Labour government.”

David Cameron, 16 January 2013

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/food-banks-is-cameron-on-the-money/12486

And zero hours contracts

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mps-employ-151-people-controversial-3548359

There are more people that's why. Great isn't it

But if there are more people it is all the more creditable that unemployment is several hundred thousand less than when Labour left office in 2010. Did I mention that unemployment was higher when Labour left office than when they came to power in 1997?