The Conservative Party - all discussion here please.

Because you will not be left alone :loopy: Snooper's Charter. Mind you, it's already happening without being officially implemented

What Cameron said goes against a basic tenet of Conservatism, and indeed against the law itself.

Politicians and the police are becoming more authoritarian. Twenty years ago if you got arrested, charged and found not guilty and it was your first offence, your photo and fingerprints taken when you were arrested were destroyed.

You had committed no crime therefore the state wasn't interested in you.

Contrast that to today. Hundreds of thousands of DNA samples of innocent people kept on file by the police. Politicians wanting to keep people for 28 days without charging them. Detention without trial, and so on.

What Cameron came out with is the justification for a police state.

Here. Is the source for the debt interest as a % of GDP

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/

I know that page well. It tracks with most of my comments. Ironical? No, because-

So, if since 1974 the debt has been falling then why are you are you and so many others working so hard to portray Labour's record as so poor. Especially given that the Tory record is really no better, perhaps worse.
-funny that, I could have sworn it was you working very hard to portray the Coalition's record (and Tories a couple decades before) as so poor. It's the story of a monochromatic pot, a monochromatic kettle, etc.

You can't claim to be nonpolitical mate because your agenda is patently heavily loaded.
I'm reacting and replying to your debt-related posts with looking at numbers during the tenure of Tory governments between Labour goverments, which of course will come to your anti-Tory (anti-Labour and -Gvt altogether, in short?) position as political. That's your interpretation, however: I'm still just looking at numbers. Unlike politicians, opinions and positions, they are fully objective.

I didn't vote for either of the main parties by the way, My agenda admittedly is loaded and about highlighting all the mistakes both have made, and as the Tories are in power I'm focusing on them. Their economic policies are on the whole disastrous. Ruinous.
Sooo...Agenda loaded against both parties during their respective tenure you say. Right. Could have fooled me, there. Mate.

I didn't vote at all in the GE. Not allowed. So full freedom to sit back and observe apolitically and opine left, right, cente and swing as I please. And to bitch about any and all, because whoever gets in still gets to waste my tax just the same.

You weren't here in the early to mid 80s were you. Be honest. If you were you would understand. Try telling the half-destroyed communities round here that the Tories made things better.. They're both crap.
I wasn't indeed, it's common knowledge/public notoriety on here. But tell you what: when I came here (in 93 for the first time), I found the grass truly was much greener, Tories and Labour and 80s local history (over 30 years ago now, then it was still just a tad over a decade 'fresh') an'all.

So, re BIB above, can I suggest to you...emigration? ;)

They are a disaster for our country. Just like Labour.
Ah, I sense some balance returning to the Force. Not a lot, but it's a start :D Edited by L00b

What you are failing to consider is the indisputable fact that when the Tories enter government, its after Labour ruined the country and the economy is failing, and by the time the Tories have turned it around the electorate vote Labour back in to a growing economy. So Labour start on an high and end up on a low and the Tories always start on a low and end on an high.

The economy was growing when the coalition took over. They stopped it growing within six months. Nothing has turned around.

The economy was growing when the coalition took over. They stopped it growing within six months. Nothing has turned around.

And unfortunately for Labour the electorate didn't swallow that load of flim flam either. That's why Labour have another 5 years of opposition.

I know that page well. It tracks with most of my comments. Ironical? No, because-

-funny that, I could have sworn it was you working very hard to portray the Coalition's record (and Tories a couple decades before) as so poor. It's the story of a monochromatic pot, a monochromatic kettle, etc.

I'm reacting and replying to your debt-related posts with looking at numbers during the tenure of Tory governments between Labour goverments, which of course will come to your anti-Tory (anti-Labour and -Gvt altogether, in short?) position as political. That's your interpretation, however: I'm still just looking at numbers.

Sooo...Agenda loaded against both parties during their respective tenure you say. Right. Could have fooled me, there. Mate.

I didn't vote at all in the GE. Not allowed. So full freedom to sit back and observe apolitically and opine left, right, cente and swing as I please. And to bitch about any and all, because whoever gets in still gets to waste my tax just the same.

I wasn't indeed, it's common knowledge/public notoriety on here. But tell you what: when I came here (in 93 for the first time), I found the grass truly was much greener, Tories and Labour and 80s local history (over 30 years ago now, then it was still just a tad over a decade 'fresh') an'all.

So, re BIB above, can I suggest to you...emigration? ;)

Ah, I sense some balance returning to the Force. Not a lot, but it's a start :D

You'll get it in the end. Neither of the main parties deserves to be defended. There is no Tory turning round of the economy. There were no Labour 'good times'.

The coalition record will be judged as disastrous. Just like Labour's will - ironically Labour's finest moment was dealing with the crisis strange as it may seem.

But.....since 1979 and perhaps arguably 10 years before that we have been on a debt-driven neoliberal trajectory that has torn the guts out of the economy. It's got to end. That doesn't mean I'm anti-government. I want a better government.

---------- Post added 16-05-2015 at 00:20 ----------

And unfortunately for Labour the electorate didn't swallow that load of flim flam either. That's why Labour have another 5 years of opposition.

It was growing. Then debt-doubling Tories worked their magic.

I'm not defending Labour. Just stating facts. Refute them if you can but you won't be able to.

It was growing. Then debt-doubling Tories worked their magic.

I'm not defending Labour. Just stating facts. Refute them if you can but you won't be able to.

That's cool. You just lost an election trying to pedal that flim flam. Fortunately no one was fooled by it. Labour failed to take any of the target seats in Yorkshire because folk aren't as gulible as you seem to think they are.

Enjoy 5 years of Cameron followed bt 5 years of Boris... :hihi::hihi::hihi:

That's cool. You just lost an election trying to pedal that flim flam. Fortunately no one was fooled by it. Labour failed to take any of the target seats in Yorkshire because folk aren't as gulible as you seem to think they are.

Enjoy 5 years of Cameron followed bt 5 years of Boris... :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Didn't vote Labour.

Hope you're not self-employed and getting tax credits. Your life is going down the tubes if so.

Didn't vote Labour.

Hope you're not self-employed and getting tax credits. Your life is going down the tubes if so.

I don't ever remember saying you did vote Labour. You certainly didn't vote Tory, but then neither did I. However unlike you I'm pretty pleased with the result. I am self employed, and don't really need financial advice from you. I pay an accountant and a financial advisor to do that, and it seems to work pretty well.

I don't ever remember saying you did vote Labour. You certainly didn't vote Tory, but then neither did I. However unlike you I'm pretty pleased with the result. I am self employed, and don't really need financial advice from you. I pay an accountant and a financial advisor to do that, and it seems to work pretty well.

Not financial advice, just a warning to you and anybody else in this situation.

If you are in receipt of tax credits to top up your self-employed income then they are coming for you. You may not feel so smug in a couple of years.

Not financial advice, just a warning to you and anybody else in this situation.

If you are in receipt of tax credits to top up your self-employed income then they are coming for you. You may not feel so smug in a couple of years.

As it happens I and a lot of others are the ones who have had to pay rather a lot of cash into the system, rather than taking anything out. In a couple of years I intend to have sold my interests on and cleared off to the Algarve. But thank you for your concern.

It is good to know that the government is trying to peg back the deficit so there will still be a few bob in the kitty when I start to draw my pension.

As it happens I and a lot of others are the ones who have had to pay rather a lot of cash into the system, rather than taking anything out. In a couple of years I intend to have sold my interests on and cleared off to the Algarve. But thank you for your concern.

It is good to know that the government is trying to peg back the deficit so there will still be a few bob in the kitty when I start to draw my pension.

There is no money left remember. And since that note the conservatives have borrowed double again.

I agree it's best for you to wind things up and get off your tax credits now. Youngsters don't have the same options and things are going to get very tough for them.

Remember though, if the Tories do take us out of the EU then you might find that you become an illegal immigrant in Portugal. And if so when you return home you may not be immediately eligible for help with housing or from the NHS.

There is no money left remember. And since that note the conservatives have borrowed double again.

I agree it's best for you to wind things up and get off your tax credits now. Youngsters don't have the same options and things are going to get very tough for them.

Remember though, if the Tories do take us out of the EU then you might find that you become an illegal immigrant in Portugal. And if so when you return home you may not be immediately eligible for help with housing or from the NHS.

Once again trotting out the same old missinformation that cost Labour the election. There is the problem. You seem to assume that the electorate are thick and fall for that twaddle. The electorate saw through that years ago which is why it cut no ice at the election. Hopefully Labour will carry on with the same tack and lose again in 2020. :hihi::hihi:

By the way EU membership has sod all to do with one's ability to live in a place. That is down to one's ability to pay the bills, but it is nice of you to show such insincere concern.

Edited by evil woman