The Conservative Party - all discussion here please.

Austerity is the feeling you get when you've been run over once and run over again for good measure

It's a theory..my personal take is full out austerity isn't good for the economy, it has to be balanced with spending at some point. 10 years, because Osborne missed his goal is too long
We haven't had full out austerity. Not by a very, very long country mile. Even if Osbourne does all of what he wants to do and cuts £60bn over the next 5 years (he won't), we'll still be a long way from full out austerity.

Many (most?) Greek civil servants haven't been paid in months. The Irish civil servants 'only' had to go with a 25% salary haircut. That's full out austerity (at developed/Western EU scale).

We haven't had full out austerity. Not by a very, very long country mile. Even if Osbourne does all of what he wants to do and cuts £60bn over the next 5 years (he won't), we'll still be a long way from full out austerity.

Many (most?) Greek civil servants haven't been paid in months. The Irish civil servants 'only' had to go with a 25% salary haircut. That's full out austerity (at developed/Western EU scale).

I see the Greek economy returned to recession today. There but for the grace of.......

http://www.wsj.com/articles/greece-falls-back-into-recession-1431519144

Austerity is the feeling you get when you've been run over once and run over again for good measure

How has Austerity affected you personally?

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 14:49 ----------

I see the Greek economy returned to recession today. There but for the grace of.......

http://www.wsj.com/articles/greece-falls-back-into-recession-1431519144

Maybe this is why they have stopped their legal action to return the elgin marbles. Which we should give back I think.

Lord Skidelsky wrote a very good and accessible article about austerity - it's worth a read: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/04/george-osborne-s-cunning-plan-how-chancellors-austerity-narrative-has-harmed

Nowhere near as much as this made me PMSL, ROFL, <etc.> :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Reminds me of when Radio 4 were reporting about Jeremy Hunt when he was the culture secretary. They messed up pronouncing his last name, only to report about the mishap an hour later and do the same thing.

Nowhere near as much as this made me PMSL, ROFL, <etc.> :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I do wonder if they actually rehearse in order to make the Freudian slips.

Reminds me of when Radio 4 were reporting about Jeremy Hunt when he was the culture secretary. They messed up pronouncing his last name, only to report about the mishap an hour later and do the same thing.

Jeremy Paxman did the same on Newsnight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAMY7lUdd9Q

Whoops :hihi:

The government doesn't own the BBC, so it cant be flogged off.

Did the government own English Steel, how about British Gas, how about British Telecom et al?

Did the government own English Steel, how about British Gas, how about British Telecom et al?

Yes they did, but the BBC is different. Its run by a trust for the people of the UK. British Steel etc (inc Royal Mail) were owned by the British Government.