The Conservative Party - all discussion here please.

Well if I were General Motors and you did that I'd move production to Germany where they have a sensible tax regime. That would be a loss of 35000 direct jobs and probably a further 70,000 indirect jobs. Around 105,000 tax payers out of work.

So now you've tackled Vauxhall what would you do about Honda. They turnover around £2 billion but also make a loss? How would you tax them?

In that case, you'd lose out on UK sales being forbidden to trade here ever again and you'd have a new competitor or at least an increased presence from an established competitor. Don’t let the door hit your bum on your way out, now

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 14:47 ----------

Does it matter? Mecky just doesnt like people having more money than him - he just wants it taken off them apparantly until everyone has an equal sharing of penury and misery.

Now, what did you accuse me of a few hours ago?

I believe I said I'd tax them on turnover and probably around 50%.................If they go bust, too bad, there's always someone to jump in their place.

So you'd tax the coal mines at 50% of turnover despite the fact that they are losing money. Still if they go bust, too bad eh. You'd make a great chancellor of the exchequer if we were trying to bankrupt the nation.

In that case, you'd lose out on UK sales being forbidden to trade here ever again

What do you think other countries would do to our exporting companies (JLR for example) if we were to forbid someone from selling cars here?

Edited by truman

Now, what did you accuse me of a few hours ago?

Mecky- stating your apparant position in relation to your posts isn't abuse, it's called debate. You need to learn that and to not bicker - if you didn't bicker and come up with fake synthetic anger all the time it'd be so much easier to debate with you....

Look at the thread. The only person on here who is being complained about is you. That should tell you something.

Now are you going to answer the questions and engage in the debate or is this going to be another of your mud flinging sessions?

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 14:53 ----------

In that case, you'd lose out on UK sales being forbidden to trade here ever again and you'd have a new competitor or at least an increased presence from an established competitor. Don’t let the door hit your bum on your way out, now

And the response from GM or Honda would be "face, bothered...?"

The only people that would lose out would be the UK. Look at North Korea for an example of what happens when a country ends up in self imposed economic isolation.

OK. So you wouldn't allow Vauxhall to sell cars here again. Would that apply to selling spares for the million or so Vauxhall cars on our roads? Would it also apply to Ford who used to make cars here but pulled out 11 years ago. Would it apply to VW who have never made cars in the UK?

These are important questions because if you try to stop an EU company like GM Europe manufacturing in its German plant and then selling cars in the UK you breach EU rules of free trade and probably prevent the UK from selling manufactured goods within the EU. Its good to see that you really think these things through.

---------- Post added 09-10-2014 at 15:00 ----------

What do you think other countries would do to our exporting companies (JLR for example) if we were to forbid someone from selling cars here?

I wouldn't worry about Jaguar Landrover. They'd be following Vauxhall and switching production to their plants in India. They have Indian ownership and you wouldn't see them for dust. They could sell cars around the world from there and only worry about selling cars to Meckovia if anyone there ever stole enough money to buy one.

Edited by foxy lady

The same way as it's going UKIP in May!

:)

To think Sheffield Hallam would go UKIP in May shows a complete lack of knowledge on the appeal of UKIP and who would vote for them!

OK. So you wouldn't allow Vauxhall to sell cars here again. Would that apply to selling spares for the million or so Vauxhall cars on our roads? Would it also apply to Ford who used to make cars here but pulled out 11 years ago. Would it apply to VW who have never made cars in the UK?

These are important questions because if you try to stop an EU company like GM Europe manufacturing in its German plant and then selling cars in the UK you breach EU rules of free trade and probably prevent the UK from selling manufactured goods within the EU. Its good to see that you really think these things through

You're jumping the gun again. If they complied there would be no need for any of your wanderings

You're jumping the gun again. If they complied there would be no need for any of your wanderings

So you really think that 50% of turnover a year is a sensible amount to tax a company?

Lets look at the consequences of that a moment...

A company has income, and expenses. You are essentially saying that income must be at least double expenses in order to pay this turnover tax. As expenses almost certainly cannot be reduced to any meaningful extent, you have just doubled the price of almost everything ever sold or manufacturered in this country.

Care to guess what will happen to inflation?

So you really think that 50% of turnover a year is a sensible amount to tax a company?

Lets look at the consequences of that a moment...

A company has income, and expenses. You are essentially saying that income must be at least double expenses in order to pay this turnover tax. As expenses almost certainly cannot be reduced to any meaningful extent, you have just doubled the price of almost everything ever sold or manufacturered in this country.

Care to guess what will happen to inflation?

Yes its a great plan isn't it. Our local boozer is on the verge of shutting through lack of profits. It probably turns over around £200,000 a year. I wonder what a £100,000 tax bill would do to the pubs prospects. Even doubling the prices would simply double the problem and double the tax bill.

I also suppose if our local Tesco had to pay 50% tax on turnover they would have to double prices to stay in business. The Pound Shop would become The 2 Pound Shop.

Is this Labour's grand plan to get us out of our financial woes?

Complied with what?

#129.................................................................................Is this Labour's grand plan to get us out of our financial woes?

Steady on, its that kind of cheap Politicians trick that makes us distrust them. and by association you! You spoiled some well chosen thoughts and examples ( use of the British Pub a great choice) by that cheap shot.

Mecky doesn't speak for Labour in any way shape or form, I don't think he is even a Labour supporter, thank goodness! But you inferred that - cheap.

Tax turnover, I don't think Mecky has thought this one through.

Business XYZ has a turnover of £2 billion but doesn't make a profit for the year but Mecky thinks the taxman should still be paid £1 billion.

Local family business has turnover of £250K, it's been a tough year and only manages to break even for the year, taxman comes knocking for his £125k.