George Thompson ex Laycocks, war hero aged 96. Funeral arrangements

Was thinking about him, were there many in attendance?

I went.

I'd say 150-200 were outside with me (listening on the large speakers), and probably as many as 100, maybe more crammed inside.

Young servicemen, Police, Veterans/flag bearers were among the public.

By the time the service finished I'd felt like I'd known George for most of my life. A wonderful service. A lady who spoke at the end, likely to be one of his few surviving friends, struggled to get her words out to say thanks to everyone for coming. A massive round of applause followed and then the emotions set in, even for those just turning up for support must of triggered some emotions.

I sure did.

Rest in peace George.

Well,as was said there. He's gone "West". What a beautiful service. I found it very touching when the Cadets saluted when the Last Post was played.

Sheffield did him proud. I found myself shedding a tear. And well done to the Forum for spreading the news.

I think I saw some television cameras .

I couldn't believe how many turned up for him. It was a lovely service RIP George.

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 19:59 ----------

Well,as was said there. He's gone "West". What a beautiful service. I found it very touching when the Cadets saluted when the Last Post was played.

Sheffield did him proud. I found myself shedding a tear. And well done to the Forum for spreading the news.

I think I saw some television cameras .

It was on tonights calendar news :)

Edited by flashbang
spelling

Sounds like it went well.

It's sad that no one knew about him before his death. I bet a lot of ex servicemen would have been happy to visit him now and then for what he'd probably have called a 'chinwag'. Better than turning out en masse for his send off? I wonder how many more there are who could do with a visitor or two.

Managed to attend and it was lovely to see so many people had done the same for a gentleman who had done something amazing so that we can live freely today. I even took along my two children as I thought it was important to show them that people nowadays do still care for others whether they know them or not. Rest in Peace George.

Sounds like it went well.

It's sad that no one knew about him before his death. I bet a lot of ex servicemen would have been happy to visit him now and then for what he'd probably have called a 'chinwag'. Better than turning out en masse for his send off? I wonder how many more there are who could do with a visitor or two.

I really wanted to go, but sadly, I couldn't. I really do hope that he has someone who is interested in his life, and they are able to find out more.

I couldn't believe how many turned up for him. It was a lovely service RIP George.

About 400 mourners have attended the funeral of a World War Two veteran from Sheffield who had no surviving family.

Among those in attendance at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium in Sheffield were representatives of the Queen's Colour Squadron, based at RAF Northolt, The Royal Artillery, RAF Marham, in Norfolk, the Air Training Corps, and members of the Doncaster, Barnsley, Leeds and Hull RAFA branches.

South Yorkshire Police also sent a mounted guard of honour.

Also attending was Keith Wilson, a former neighbour of Mr Thompson.

Mr Wilson said: "He used to tell us stories. We knew he was a pilot in the war. He would tell us various anecdotes, which I'm sad to say I have forgotten a lot of.

"It's great to see a big turnout but we wanted to make sure there was a personal aspect.

"I'm sure the response would have knocked him sideways."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-27634576

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2014-05-30/fitting-funeral-for-war-hero-with-few-surviving-friends/

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/video-hundreds-attend-raf-veteran-s-funeral-1-6647173

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/editor-s-comment-i-welled-up-with-tears-as-the-coffin-of-war-hero-george-thompson-passed-me-by-1-6646643

Rest in peace George. Well done Sheffield.