George Thompson ex Laycocks, war hero aged 96. Funeral arrangements

George Thompson worked at Laycocks most of his working life. Mosquito Bomber Pilot in WW2 Has passed away at the age of 96 years. He has been in a nursing home in Sheffield for the last 10 years. He moved in when his wife Millie died,she also worked at Laycocks all her working life.

In all this time my husband and I have been except for George Ellis who also worked at Laycocks his only visitors.I haven't George Ellis's address to let him know,but since he is also 96 I doubt he could attend the cremation.

I hope some of the older employees or ex RAF could attend Georges cremation it is Friday 23rd at Hutcliffe Wood it would be very sad if only a few carers and my husband and I were the only people there. George had no family.

Edited by Rhonda80
Change of date of Cremation to 30th May

Public urged to attend funeral of war hero

George Thompson, who fought for his country in the Second World War, died at the age of 96 with no family members and few surviving friends......

I wonder if anyone will attend?????.......link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10856828/Public-urged-to-attend-funeral-of-war-hero.html

Public urged to attend funeral of war hero

George Thompson, who fought for his country in the Second World War, died at the age of 96 with no family members and few surviving friends......

I wonder if anyone will attend?????.......link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10856828/Public-urged-to-attend-funeral-of-war-hero.html

I cant as at work on Friday but have posted it on twitter. I do hope people can attend.

How do you get to that age and not have any friends or family? Genuine question.

Just seems rather bizarre.

Hopefully he gets a decent send off.

How do you get to that age and not have any friends or family? Genuine question.

They all died before you and you're the only one left?

They all died before you and you're the only one left?

Obviously, but most people will pick up new acquaintances at the very least throughout their life. Seems odd for absolutely nobody to know the guy.

Sadly, it's not uncommon. Many didn't have children, and have lost their siblings along the way. Friends pass on and move away. I see it at work fairly often, it's very sad but they're usually grateful for the time they've had & they always say they've got their memories - nobody will ever take them.

Edited by S8 Blade
Typo

Sadly, it's not uncommon. Many didn't have children, and gave lost their siblings along the way. Friends pass on and move away. I see it at work fairly often, it's very sad but they're usually grateful for the time they've had & they always say they've got their memories - nobody will ever take them.

Thanks. I guess I didn't think it could be so easy to not know anybody. Makes sense what you said, especially if they keep themselves to themselves.

I for one will be attending, Per Ardua

Just seems rather bizarre.

Hopefully he gets a decent send off.

Its not bizarre at all, its a shame but not bizarre. The old lad did his bit and now he's gone !

Hi, Not sure if you know but there are a lot of people sharing the article from the Daily Mail on Facebook. So with any luck people from the local area will attend for George. I will be thinking of him / try to walk down if I'm near by - did not know him but have read his amazing story. I'm sure he was an interesting character. x

I'll be going. Went to the Ladybower memorial yesterday."They gave their today for our tomorrow ." I think that's right-I hope.

What strikes you,is how young the servicemen and women were in the 2 nd World War.

Edited by petemcewan