Think I've just been ripped off

I normally take to a reliable source who doesn't do testing at his own garage,he'll service it and go over it to find any issues before taking to another place(who only do testing),that way I know my car is safe all round and serviced for the year, this is all done within the day.

Not 2 days to fix pads-2 flexi's and a gator

all car servicing are a rip of most garage's do not change oil filters or the oil only top it up, the same with all fluid levels should be checked but they just screw the top off to check levels same goes for brake pads and shoes,

all car servicing are a rip of most garage's do not change oil filters or the oil only top it up, the same with all fluid levels should be checked but they just screw the top off to check levels same goes for brake pads and shoes,

Way to generalise there :rolleyes:

Totally agree, go to a testing station only, other garage's that carry out work go out of their way to find it, it isn't in a testing stations interest to look for work, just a fair test.

people who don't no what there talking about should stay quite, I can name lots of testing stations that will look for work to do, wake up and smell the coffee, this person isn't happy because they don't undertstand what they have paid for and are moaning about it, its a common problem with people who don't understand and just moan saying they have been ripped off,

Agreed, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT FIX IT YOURSELF SIMPLE !

The op is a moaning git anyway and glad you paid out of butt hole ! :hihi: oohhhhh ha ha ha ha ah ££££££££££££££££££ :love:

If you have a newish car going for 1st MOT after 3 years then take up the offer of many high st big boys, eg £29.99 as highly likely will pass first time.

If you have a car over 5 years old which may fail then try a local garage and just ask for an MOT - if it fails DON'T agree on repairs straight away. Ask them if they can repair the faults to list them in writing with a quote and drive the car away. Many people think a car is condemned if fail, you have a time window to get things fixed. Some garages have been known to do an MOT, and it pass. However they hold back the certificate claiming a fault and "force" the customer to do a repair. Then they hand over the certificate.

My best advice and few in the know do this:

Anyone who has a MOT test centre by law has to offer MOTs to the public at the standard MOT price. This goes the council depot on Staniforth Rd. You can ring them up and book your car in with them. They have no reason to fail the car for no reason as they wont do any repairs. If it does fail then take the fail certificate to some local garages and get them to quote for repairs and take the best offer then take it back to the council depot for a re-test.

Sheffield

Sheffield City Council MOT Testing, Staniforth Road, Sheffield S9 3GZ 0114 203 7421

---------- Post added 17-05-2014 at 16:17 ----------

Also if buying a car or bought one recently you can check online its whole MOT history online.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

So if you see it has had a chequered past then steer clear.......

The op is a moaning git anyway and glad you paid out of butt hole ! :hihi: oohhhhh ha ha ha ha ah ££££££££££££££££££ :love:

Thing is I could have done it myself especially in the 2 days time that the cowboys had to change pads/air filter/fuel filter/2xhoses.

Oh yeh, I cant find a new gator on the car by the way so looks like thats not been done

If you get quoted £250 would you expect to pay £300 loon

Extreme idiot alert

Extreme idiot alert

You talking about yourself?

You talking about yourself?

You two related :rolleyes:

to be fair according to the OP , the quotes for parts sound reasonable .think labour has added up , need to know type of car. maybe its really hard to get to the areas for example the fuel filter might need centre console or back seats ripping out to access

JJRB,

" Anyone who has a MOT test centre by law has to offer MOTs to the public at the standard MOT price. "

I believe the cost of an MOT is set by the Ministry at £54 as a MAXIMUM. My mate tests and charges £35. I believe Thorpes in our village also charge £35.

Angel1.