Think I've just been ripped off

Just had car in for test, failed on rear pads(£20)-front flexi hoses(2x£10)a front gator(£20 at most) and emissions.

Bloke fitted a fuel filter(£6) and air filter (£9)to solve emissions problem

originally quoted me £250 inc test so I left it yesterday morning hoping to get it back for work at latest this morning

Bloke phoned at 5pm today and says £300- no deal

its also cost me a days work,the small failures could have been fixed by myself in the time I had off work !!!!!

Does this sound like a honest price ???:confused::confused:

Sounds a bit steep to me buddy.. as you said, with basic tools you could have done most of these tasks at home saving you a small fortune. If you agreed to a price then that is the contract set in stone. The only way that he can bump up the price is by contacting you first before doing any other work as you did not enter into a contract for the other parts or work ? I would take a trip to the CAB buddy (y)

I did the front pads myself as a rank amatuer ,in 1hr on Sunday morning.

Feel cheated as I agreed for them to do the small jobs so i could get car back for work this morning,they have had it since 9am yesterday morning,that 2 working days lost for me.:mad::mad:

They didn't get the £300 they wanted !!!!

Which garage did u take it?.....how much was the test as well,..I took a car last week in Lincoln it was 25 where in Sheffield it was 45,..so that can bump up the price, ..but an service ie oil change ect would ov done the emissions, ..

I don't understand how you've been ripped off if you didn't pay the rip-off price. How much did you pay and how did you go about getting it down? Do you think the £250 was a fair price?

I took my daughters car for not last week,it failed on anti roll bars,had it done and cost £134 inc test.

She has driven it once and then the car started making a loud banging noise,called the garage and told them,they came out and said it was something to do with suspension and it would have happened when it was took off ramp. Cost another £107,if it hadn't had mot it wouldn't have gone. Complete rip off,they should have done it free but they wouldn't then saying it would eventually have gone.

I took my daughters car for not last week,it failed on anti roll bars,had it done and cost £134 inc test.

She has driven it once and then the car started making a loud banging noise,called the garage and told them,they came out and said it was something to do with suspension and it would have happened when it was took off ramp. Cost another £107,if it hadn't had mot it wouldn't have gone. Complete rip off,they should have done it free but they wouldn't then saying it would eventually have gone.

That's what happens when you let gibbons work on your car, independent garage no?

I don't understand how you've been ripped off if you didn't pay the rip-off price. How much did you pay and how did you go about getting it down? Do you think the £250 was a fair price?

met me half way at £275.

test is £30 with approx £75 in parts

So thats £200 for 2-3hrs labour at a back street garage

There's still a banging noise coming from the rear end which was pointed out by myself initially.:suspect:they couldn't find fault:confused:

The bloke I normally take it to was off sick so had to rely on stranger:suspect:

Sounds a bit steep to me buddy..
YA who knows if they would try to fix MORE STUFF just to raise it more!! (Its hard trusting ppl 100%)

That's what happens when you let gibbons work on your car, independent garage no?

Totally agree, go to a testing station only, other garage's that carry out work go out of their way to find it, it isn't in a testing stations interest to look for work, just a fair test.

I took my works Navara for a service and test 3 weeks ago they did a track rod end, front discs and pads, service, mot, and belts £850. This was at a main dealer by the way. On Thursday I was getting a knocking from the nearside front wheel so took it back in Friday, no it needs a universal joint all OK so far, then the guy says as an advisory we can see the belts are worn, errrrr hang on mate you just charged us £93 3 weeks ago to change those! Oh he says hang on well if its a warranty issue we will change them FOC, me thinks they didn't change them the first time!

I took my works Navara for a service and test 3 weeks ago they did a track rod end, front discs and pads, service, mot, and belts £850. This was at a main dealer by the way. On Thursday I was getting a knocking from the nearside front wheel so took it back in Friday, no it needs a universal joint all OK so far, then the guy says as an advisory we can see the belts are worn, errrrr hang on mate you just charged us £93 3 weeks ago to change those! Oh he says hang on well if its a warranty issue we will change them FOC, me thinks they didn't change them the first time!

That is disgusting, trust no one.