Traditional fishing venues

Does anyone know of any traditional fishing venues , where a they're no pegs and you can just fish where you choose ? Something not to big not though .

wombwell dam stock pond

elsacar reservoir, opposite side to the dam wall

alterfen specimen lake

pebley reservoir (althou a res it's not a big un)

chesterfield canal (worksop to retford)

a bit later in the year - rivers

wombwell dam stock pond

elsacar reservoir, opposite side to the dam wall

alterfen specimen lake

pebley reservoir (althou a res it's not a big un)

chesterfield canal (worksop to retford)

a bit later in the year - rivers

Cheers I normally only fish rivers but its closed season ! What stretch of chesterfield canal is good ? And is it better than Sheffield canal ?

re Chesterfield Canal - my Dad used to favour the bit behind Morrisons at Staveley. I went there once with him and then once again to scatter some of his ashes.

To get there drive into Morrisons car park and then follow the road down to the left which brings you to a small car park and the canal.

Hope this helps you.

hi at94, sorry for the delay, not been on the computer this weekend

chesterfield canal is good around Worksop, particularly rhodesia

but my favourite sections are ladybridge out towards retford (sutton-cum-lound) & retford cemetery length

the sheffield canal is ok in places, but I prefer the chessey as it has lots of tench & chub, with the added bonus (most people might not use that word!) of big eels...

hi at94, sorry for the delay, not been on the computer this weekend

chesterfield canal is good around Worksop, particularly rhodesia

but my favourite sections are ladybridge out towards retford (sutton-cum-lound) & retford cemetery length

the sheffield canal is ok in places, but I prefer the chessey as it has lots of tench & chub, with the added bonus (most people might not use that word!) of big eels...

Nice one mate! Have you got a postcode doe the retfors cemetery part ?

I've only fished that stretch in club matches, and our old club secretary used to organise parking in the hospital car park (DN22 7XF) and someone would come & unlock the gate from hospital through to the canal towpath when we arrived - I think these gates remain locked to the general public though

no idea who you'd need to speak to about access or parking, sorry

alternatively you can get onto the canal from the main road into Retford from the A1 (the A620, Hospital Road) it's side-street parking on here & there's steps down to the towpath on the right side of the road as you enter the town - if you get to the main roundabout at the end of hospital road, you've gone too far...

when you're on the towpath, turn right & go under the road bridge - the cemetary length is a fair walk from there, but I don't think you can access it elsewhere without a key

I fish Chesterfield canal quite a bit and like the stretch near lock keeper pub

yeah it's nice a bit further down towards sandhills lake, used to be a lot of far bank reeds where you used to get a few carp

nice venue, and easier to fish than retford as you can actually ship your pole behind you instead of having to ship to the side