What dog is best (for non-shedding)?

best dog in my opinion is a staffy.

Why is that?

We have two Greyhounds, I recommend them to people as I think they are wonderful dogs. They hardley shed and are well known to be good for people who have allergies as they only have a short top coat.

They only require 2 x 20 minute walks on a lead and mine sleep most of the day aren't very demanding.

I would recommend looking at a dog breed book and finding out what type of dog will suit your lifestyle before choosing, this is how we decided on our Greyhounds.

A good site is http://www.dogpages.org.uk and if you do decide on a greyhound, I recommend http://www.greyhoundgap.com as a greyhound rescue. Greyhound Gap's dogs are fostered in homes first so they have a good knowledge of the dog before placing it in a home. Both mine are from them.

Good luck with whatever breed you select.

Whippets and greyhounds are good natured dogs. They have short hair and do not require as much excersize as you would think. Most are content sleeping for most of the day! Check out the retired greyhounds at Owlerton stadium. They often advertise that good homes are required for these.

I too am a big greyhound fan, although my female greyhound, Sarah, does moult a fair bit. See http://www.sheffieldretiredgreyhounds.co.uk.

Hoobs. your best bet is definately a CROSSBREED dog. Pedigree dogs are so interbred that they have lots of breed-specific diseases which isn't fair to the little blighters. crossbreeds are hardy and long-lived ad will save you on vets bills!

:)

Sol

Have to disagree with someone's comment about pedigree dogs and crufts.

Owners who spend hours making the dogs look the way they do, love it. They love the dogs and grooming is a great way to bond with your dog.

I have a pedigree dalmatian, that I bought from a responsible breeder, and no, I didn't go to a rescue.

Why should I re-address the reason for wanting a dog?? The reason I went for a pedigree puppy was:

The cats would accept a small puppy better than a large, adult dog.

I knew the breed temperament, there wasn't any unknown history (a rescue could've snapped and attacked the cat if something had happened previously that we didn't know about), I knew what size she would grow to, how much exercise she would need...

Basically, as a responsible owner, I wanted to know exactly what I was letting myself in for.

As far as breeds go, labradoodles are beautifully loving dogs, I met one at the dreaded crufts on Saturday and they're fantastic pooches and are one of the least allergenic dogs possible.

Don't get a dalmatian unless you want to follow the dog around with a hoover! They're the worst dogs I know for moulting! You only have to walk past somewhere the dog has been, not even where the dog is now and you're covered in white hairs! Plus, they think they're lap dogs so you can't avoid the hairs!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

if i was to have a pet id have a weimaraner, like the 1 on here, ive been looking at it and its so cute:)

Also - please don't choose your breed this way! :rolleyes:

Look at breed temperament, exercise requirements, likelihood of developping separation anxiety, health problems. etc.

It's true, pure breeds do have more problems than cross breeds, Takara had trouble with her skin as a puppy and we thought she was allergic to the carpet but it did clear up with the use of nappy rash cream and salt water!

However, with pure breeds you can be almost sure of their temperament and how the dog will turn out (see the parents to be sure of this).

I still think that a labradoodle (though classed as a purebreed now I think) is a good example of a cross breed but you can know how they will turn out and, in breeding the labradoodles, the breeders were cautious to irradicate lots of health problems!

Remember, labradoodles are bigger than labradors.

Surely a Greyhound - or the minature version (much more rare and a perfect lap dog). They don't need to be walked loads, but love to be able to run for short lengths of time, but they are extremely affectionate and you can get retired race dogs that need a good home with lots of love.

Lhaso Apso - you can have them long or short hair - but either way they dont shed their hair which is fab!

I have one and he is so lovely! They dont need lots and lots of exercise, they are utility dogs (can be trained into a hearing dog for the deaf) so learn very quickly and they are fairly small (not toy dog size - a bit bigger).

They can be fairly expensive - between £350 - £500 for a pedigree dog. We got ours from someone in Leeds, she breeds them & mum & dad were both in shows!

If you want more dertails pm.

Hi,

What about a border terrier? Bit on the expensive side but worth it!

Also the Labradoodle is going to be recognised by the kennel club very shortly, They are expensive now but sure to go up in price after that.

Try http://www.dogclub.co.uk

You can talk to breeders of all dogs and get the info from those in the know!!

Claire

I am thinking on getting a dog but dont know what to get, i want a loving one,not too big and no molting hairs..what dogs do not shed shed loads of hair??

Cheers!:)

Try the following website http://www.petplanet.co.uk it will ask you what you want out of a dog i.e. how much time you want to exercise it etc and it will recommend what dogs are best suited to your lifestyle.

staffordshire bull terriers are the best dogs they are so loving and fantastic with kids.they have been given a bad name but really its how theyve been brought up.anyone else out there love staffs.