Real Ale and the World Cup - A match made in heaven!

Me and friends have had the same problem especially for the 11pm kick off match!! We have had to compromise and are going to Rawson Spring - they have a selection of real ales that are good priced and they have a large screen!! Not great but there if you have nothing else!

Not sure if I'm honest. It certainly wasn;t the World Cup I was thinking about. Might have been the cricket - honesly can;t remember. But they DID show something - on a big screen behind the stage.

Euro 2012 - Watched a few games in there, was a really good atmosphere

Euro 2012 - Watched a few games in there, was a really good atmosphere

the hop sounds a good bet as does the riverside. Not ruling out the old queens head either. Decisions decisions....

White Lion on Chesterfield Road? Agree about the Hop, could be a good atmosphere in there.

Good thread idea by the way :thumbsup:

Banner Cross with their outdoor screen and BBQ?

was Hop open for the last world cup? thought it was newer than that! opened about 2 years ago IIRC

You're correct. It says 2011 on The Hop site. Must have been the Euro Champs. They had a good big screen and atmosphere was ok.

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

During the last World Cup when England played USA on Saturday night, me and my mate popped into The Kelham Island Tavern for a swift beer.. It was the quietest I've ever seen it, with only 2 or 3 other people in the pub.

We then went to The Riverside where they had a big projector on in the outside area.....The pub was absolutely rammed.

Regards

Doom

Just out of town at Crookes there is The Ball

Screens inside the pub and 14 real ales. Also they have a screen outside which you can see, it is shaded from the sun.

Beehive is another one, 4 real ales. Screens everywhere.

Just out of town at Crookes there is The Ball

Screens inside the pub and 14 real ales. Also they have a screen outside which you can see, it is shaded from the sun.

Beehive is another one, 4 real ales. Screens everywhere.

Does The Ball have 14 ales on?!? Not been there for years. What sort of ales?

Does The Ball have 14 ales on?!? Not been there for years. What sort of ales?

Usual Greedy King stuff, but also the best selection of local and further afield guests I've seen in any of their Sheff pubs. No particular style preference as far as I can tell (apart from pale to go with the weather).

Usual Greedy King stuff, but also the best selection of local and further afield guests I've seen in any of their Sheff pubs. No particular style preference as far as I can tell (apart from pale to go with the weather).

That sounds quite impressive.

Regards

Doom

The World Cup is almost upon us, and with it comes the age old quandary for those of us whose love of a decent pint of ale is matched only by their joy at a David Pleat like volley into the Belgian net: Which is the best pub to cheer the boys to victory in? Now I know this is a highly subjective question so, to clarify, I’ll list my favourite Sheffield pubs and if anyone thinks they’ll be showing the games please share the good news:

Shakespeares

Riverside

Barrack

Gardeners Rest

Sheaf View

Hallamshire

Closed Shop

Rutland

Greystones

Any other suggestions gratefully received

No sports bars or Carlsberg sellers please (those ads don’t fool nobody!)

David Platt volley, David Pleat only scored in the red light district if the press at the time was to be believed.