Retrospective Building Regulations

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has had retrospective building regulations for any work on their property.

We are in the process of selling our house, and had an off-shot kitchen wall removed and RSJ fitted around 2 years ago. We now know we should have had building regs sign the work off, and our buyers are refusing indemnity insurance and requesting retrospective regs which of course is their right.

Thing is we're also buying and our vendors are very keen to move quickly. We were just wondering how long the inspectors might take to come and look at the work in the 1st instance - I appreciate they might ask for plaster to be removed to look at the work etc, but if it's likely to be months away I've a feeling we might lose our house purchase. Anyone any experience?

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has had retrospective building regulations for any work on their property.

We are in the process of selling our house, and had an off-shot kitchen wall removed and RSJ fitted around 2 years ago. We now know we should have had building regs sign the work off, and our buyers are refusing indemnity insurance and requesting retrospective regs which of course is their right.

Thing is we're also buying and our vendors are very keen to move quickly. We were just wondering how long the inspectors might take to come and look at the work in the 1st instance - I appreciate they might ask for plaster to be removed to look at the work etc, but if it's likely to be months away I've a feeling we might lose our house purchase. Anyone any experience?

You will have to put a retrospective building notice in and they will come out and inspect the work.

The rsj work will have to meet current regs so they will be looking at how it's supported, pad stones and whether the beam is the right size for what it's supporting.

The issue can be sorted out in a couple of weeks providing the job was done correctly in the first place and no remedial work is required.

hi i think if you call them tomorrow building control they will be able to get someone to you by the end of week , i would try some structural engineers some will look at the work for free and give you some sound advice. i think you need to remove plaster so all party,s can look it , a good plaster will patch it as good as new . good luck ta jeff

i agree with the above aswell ta

Thanks for both your replies; might not take as long as I thought, good to know.

I am wanting to ask the same question. I had my work done four years ago, knocked kitchen through to dining room and had rsj put in.

I had a structural engineer do all the calcs and had the work passed with the councils building control. We're now wanting to sell the house and I've been told I should have had the work signed off?

Worried now in case they didn't do it to plans.

I've also seen that the beams might have to have been bolted, I don't remember the builder doing this but then I can't recall the engineer requesting it? I also think the beams were packed under the pad stone and not directly resting on it.

Think I have some pics somewhere.

Edited by verona
Addition

My pal had the same problem. He asked me to help him out.

Call and write to building control, they are very helpful.

It cost money tho, so expect to pay up front, I went down personal, in my own time. It's down attercliffe the HQ, opposite the retail park.

Take photos, letters etc and try and write a full report, time started, size of beams, etc

You may have to drill holes for access and to take sizes.

Good luck

Edited by Total Refurb
It's down attercliffe! (Predicted text)

I called building g control this afternoon. They came out within two hours and signed the job off. Good job I took photo's of the work otherwise it would have meant taking a chunk of plaster away. I can't praise the guy that came out enough, and what a massive weight off my mind.