anybody no why they are taking snooker table out of bar abbey

I heard that the landlord had sold the building without letting the people who run it know?

Bar Abbey had to cancel a load of gigs at short notice, so I think the story is true.

A real shame, Bar Abbey had that sort of "Limit" vibe to it, great little venue for live acts.

I heard that the landlord had sold the building without letting the people who run it know?

Bar Abbey had to cancel a load of gigs at short notice, so I think the story is true.

A real shame, Bar Abbey had that sort of "Limit" vibe to it, great little venue for live acts.

Yep! they've sold it. A real shame, only discovered it last year and saw some really good local bands there in the last few months. Like you said, had a great vibe about the place.

Edited by whatawaste

Now, that is bad news. I've been going on & off for over 15yrs & I've seen some great local bands there. With the Boardwalk closed as well where can people see up & coming bands?

Now, that is bad news. I've been going on & off for over 15yrs & I've seen some great local bands there. With the Boardwalk closed as well where can people see up & coming bands?

Greystones

Riverside

Cross Scythes

Shakespeare

Hallamshire House

Red Deer

Harley

Cobden View

Barrack Tavern

Delaneys

It will be a shame to lose the new and very wonderful Honey Bee blues club.Hope they can find an alternative venue soon!

Edited by shanes teeth

Have they taken all the snooker tables out?

Theres 15 full size ones in the big room.

Bit miffed I signed up for a years membership 2 weeks ago , spose its not guys fault if they didnt know the building had been sold.

Hope It's not going to be another supermarket.

In fact it should be listed shouldn't it?

Greystones

Riverside

Cross Scythes

Shakespeare

Hallamshire House

Red Deer

Harley

Cobden View

Barrack Tavern

Delaneys

It will be a shame to lose the new and very wonderful Honey Bee blues club.Hope they can find an alternative venue soon!

All decent little venues in their own way, although I find the acoustics in the Shakespeare can be hit and miss. CADS can be a good venue (I think that is the correct name, not far from the Shakespeare), Red House on Solly Street has bands on as well, as does the Princess Royal (near the Cobden View) and The Nottingham House at Broomhill. Still a shame about Bar Abbey.

As for Honey Bees Blues Club, I think (if it is the same as last year) Sax Bob will start putting on outdoor summer gigs at The University Arms on a Friday night.

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 10:23 ----------

Have they taken all the snooker tables out?

Theres 15 full size ones in the big room.

Bit miffed I signed up for a years membership 2 weeks ago , spose its not guys fault if they didnt know the building had been sold.

Hope It's not going to be another supermarket.

In fact it should be listed shouldn't it?

The building is Grade 2 listed

"...Grade II: buildings that are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them..."

"...listed buildings cannot be modified without first obtaining Listed Building Consent through the relevant local planning authority

Carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building is a criminal offence and owners can be prosecuted. A planning authority can also insist that all work undertaken without consent be reversed at the owner’s expense..."

Edited by Grappler

The building is Grade 2 listed

"...Grade II: buildings that are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them..."

"...listed buildings cannot be modified without first obtaining Listed Building Consent through the relevant local planning authority

Carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building is a criminal offence and owners can be prosecuted. A planning authority can also insist that all work undertaken without consent be reversed at the owner’s expense..."

Nice one , always thought it would look quite nice from the outside after a good fettle

Your link does not work

Strange, it did when I posted it!

It basically said about it becoming a 'drinking establishment', with a bigger stage etc.

Also mentioned covering an existing mural.

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N42638NYFY000

Edited by nikki-red

My ex-girlfriend and I worked in the snooker hall and Bar Abbey around 2003-2007 and I have some really good memories of the place.

I left Sheffield several years ago but always thought I'd manage to get back at some point and have a frame or two for old time's sake.

Pretty sad news :(