Anybody here go to Rowlinson School?

Hi

I have just found this site, don't know if anybody remembers me but went to Rowlinson Technical School 1958/64, Granville Marshall ( Grannie).

well bu@&er me grannie iv just found the site too, and i was in your class for about 3 years!!! Stuart Lindley .wow after all this time aint this tinterweb bloody marvellous. it only seems like yesterday but im retired now . how are you diddlin.

Also new on the forum. Left Rowlinson in '66 and have lived overseas for the last 40 years. Last weekend I went back to see what was left of the old school with classmate Ian Tufft (Huntsman). We found what we think was the original main entrance - where Yak had his office. (Don't know how to post the pictuce - is there a way?)

Me and my Hubby went to Rowlinson from 82-86 i was Karen Sewell then and my form tutor was Mr Holmes and he used to let us smoke in is office he was an ace teacher. His ex wife was my pottery teacher,Mr Stokes was my form tutor before Mr Holmes was and head of year was mr laybourn and i was so shocked when my son started meadowhead school mr laybourn was still there omg

Hi, You are correct The photograph is of the main entrance to the school. I left Rowlinson in 1970. I had to go back to the school last month to do some agency work and could not believe that I was working in a room that 40+ years earlier I was in there doing Technical Drawing. The classroom was on the first floor at the back towards the gym. I also went into the gym which was exactly as I remember, playing Pirates with Paddy Ireland. Happy Days

Hi, You are correct The photograph is of the main entrance to the school. I left Rowlinson in 1970. I had to go back to the school last month to do some agency work and could not believe that I was working in a room that 40+ years earlier I was in there doing Technical Drawing. The classroom was on the first floor at the back towards the gym. I also went into the gym which was exactly as I remember, playing Pirates with Paddy Ireland. Happy Days

Good. Thought it was. Yes, I did technical drawing with a teacher we affectionately called 'Diddy man'. Pirates was the highlight of the week, scrambling across the bars on the walls, up ropes - anything to keep your feet off the ground. We also walked around the back of the school to where the old tuck shop was (remember wagon wheels?) and down to the playing fields. I still shudder at the memories of cross country running in the winter!

Sudden flurry of activity on this thread, are we all realising our own mortality. Rowlinson taught me how to speak like this.

There 59/63, mostreverand ( my sis, who went to Jordanthorpe, is actually married to a man of the cloth brill bloke) 4T rings a bell.

Dont know if I got a lot out of the education, maybe it was subliminal. I was left with a morbid fear of anything sporting apart from alcohol consumption and crib.

please elucidate who has charge of the drinking establishment on Bramall Lane.

Regards to all hurtling towards retirement

Sudden flurry of activity on this thread, are we all realising our own mortality. Rowlinson taught me how to speak like this.

There 59/63, mostreverand ( my sis, who went to Jordanthorpe, is actually married to a man of the cloth brill bloke) 4T rings a bell.

Dont know if I got a lot out of the education, maybe it was subliminal. I was left with a morbid fear of anything sporting apart from alcohol consumption and crib.

please elucidate who has charge of the drinking establishment on Bramall Lane.

Regards to all hurtling towards retirement

There are 2 threads on this subject, the other referring specifically to the '60's - I qualify for both! What was the real name of 'Holy Joe' who took RI back then? My favourite sport is wine tasting....

Hi everybody. I still live in Sheffield and had a walk around the school last Sunday. You're right about the main entrance being the same. The curved wall at the back of the hall where we played spot is still there but some idiot has built another building in front of it! Lots of the old building remain and although the shell has been added to, if you walk inside the building you sense where you are. I stood on the old tennis courts, and although now delapidated( the courts, not me) they still retain the the old chain link fencing and posts. It was really wierd standing there looking back at the old school 45 years on.

Hi everybody. I still live in Sheffield and had a walk around the school last Sunday. You're right about the main entrance being the same. The curved wall at the back of the hall where we played spot is still there but some idiot has built another building in front of it! Lots of the old building remain and although the shell has been added to, if you walk inside the building you sense where you are. I stood on the old tennis courts, and although now delapidated( the courts, not me) they still retain the the old chain link fencing and posts. It was really wierd standing there looking back at the old school 45 years on.

Yes, I remember the curved wall, faced with stone and some of the guys climbed up the wall with ropes (not me!) also saw the old tennis courts. I remember one of the pupils in '65 or '66 donated a painting of Sheffield at night which was hung on the wall in the main entrance. Who was the teacher with a great singing voice at assembly? Do you recall the dining room with the pictures of the four houses on the back wall - Huntsman, Chantrey, Osborne and Ruskin. lumpy mashed potato comes to mind....

i went to rowlinson . form room S32 form teacher Chris ? what do i remember of the bad ol day's Miss Hambling(English) getting married and then having a fling with the sports teacher. Mr ibbotson (Geog) saying all children should be peeled and lowered feet first into a lime pit !! finding a Bulls eye in my locker. Dracular Spectacular production. in the drama hall holding people by their feet under the seating and lowering them into the tuck shop store for "Bootie". can't remember learning much though but it was fun when i think back. :)

oh my god. Were you in the science labs when you found the eye. I had human biology and was bored so put one in the plug under it and in a locker. But he did know it was me next lesson as only me naughty enough. Would be about 77

Hi everyone there is a massive school reunion for all years to attend once and for all. 74 - 79 years had loads of fantastic ones, now its for all organised by bev as usual. Tickets only £5.00no ticket no entry on night. Fri 13th July 2012.

Email [email protected] for detials of tickets. Dont delay going well, spread the word venue can take 400.