Anybody here go to Rowlinson School?

I remember him well - he used to live near the John O'Gaunt pub on Blackstock Road - he was terrifying. When he was 12, there were students in the 6th form 17 years old who were frightened of him - and quite a few teachers were afraid to tackle him! Pleased that he is ok though - I heard he went through a bit of a rough patch after he left school.

Martin Williams (Wombat) was a big lad, well known on the estate and the rest of his brothers were all hard nuts as well. Then again that whole area (John O' Gaunt) was full of hard lads.

I think a couple of other lads from the John O' Gaunt area used to knock about with him at school, Alan Windle, Glen Gregory and Dave Wright, and a lad called Martin Simball (spelling could be wrong on that one). Mind you my memory could be playing tricks on me, it's a long time ago.

Edited by Grappler

My mum left in either 1975 or 1976 - Kim Tate!

Have just found this thread, and yes I do remember a Kim Tate, I was at Rowlinson between 71-76 she left the same year as me (76), remember many people and events from that time want any more info get in touch, cheers for now.

Was back in sunny Sheffield a few weeks ago for my Uncles funeral and thanks to facebook I met my childhood best friend Simon Lack after over 30 years.

We sat in a pub and reminisced and it was like we had never been apart :D

Funny seeing some of the names Jaiden and fixit are putting up, remember quite a few of them :D

Hi Canadablade, got your message but not enough posts to reply yet, working on it though! I remember you now, sorry you slipped my memory. Did your brother ever get that Rolls Royce? Does Simon Lack still do that wicked Ken Goodwin impersonation? I remember going to Gibralter Point on a field trip weekend with him. I think Mr Morson organised it along with Mrs Wright & 'Windy' Miller. Angela Herriman, Kim ?, Ann Munn were there too. They organised a rounders match, girls v. boys, & Mick Town hit all the balls up onto the roof. Happy days! Mundella Place still had cobblestones too! Having dipped my toe on this Sheffield lark I can see I'm going to have to seriously consider Facebook, against my more cynical nature. Best regards CB will be in touch MS

I was at Rowlinson when it was opened by Princess Margaret, and can remember what a great Headmaster Mr Kay was. The teachers I remember were:

Mr Ellin (Could be a bit of a bully)

Miss Ditchfield

Miss Stewart

Madam Perelees

Mr Rutherford

Mr and Mrs Baker

Mr Curly (He was lovely)

Miss Varah

Used to love the Sports that we played there, cannot believe how developed it is around there now, it used to be all fields.

42 years ago this week I started at Rowlinson. Hey Jude was number 1. Bullitt was at the cinema. Hawaii Five 0 was on the telly and my future mother in law worked in the Rolo kitchens. If only we could do it all again.

42 years ago this week I started at Rowlinson. Hey Jude was number 1. Bullitt was at the cinema. Hawaii Five 0 was on the telly and my future mother in law worked in the Rolo kitchens. If only we could do it all again.

So you would have been in the same year as Wombat then? or thereabouts?

Yeah year above. Friend of mine still sees him round the Norton water tower area.

Chantrey, Huntsman, Osborne or Ruskin?

i went to school at the same time as "wombat" martin and he's still as large as ever and one happy chappy, see him regularly.

i went to school at the same time as "wombat" martin and he's still as large as ever and one happy chappy, see him regularly.

So do you remember all the other lads from that area that went to Rowlinson? It just appeared to be one year, then everyone went to Gleadless Valley again. I think they were Wombat, Alan Windle, Dave Wright, Glen Gregory, Max Bates, probably more. It was the last year that Rowlinson was all boys I think.

i lived on sands close, born in '57 so that's the era i'm in don't know if ur around the same age, 53 tomorrow, but i remember it well ....lol

i lived on sands close, born in '57 so that's the era i'm in don't know if ur around the same age, 53 tomorrow, but i remember it well ....lol

No mate, a few years younger and lived around the John O Gaunt pub, that's where all these lads were from, all good lads but mainly hard as nails, Wombat's whole family were hard, his older brother (Gary) was probably even harder than him!!! His younger brothers were hard nuts too. Glen Gregory and Dave Wright were hard nuts, but good lads.

I know Sands Close, near that steep road that goes up to the working mans club and Charnock/ Townend.

Was there a lad at Rowlinson called something like Peter Percival? Everyone called him Percy? from Arbourthorne I think, another hard as nails lad who hung around with Wombat and co in the 1970's, all Sheff Utd fans.

Oh, and happy 53rd birthday for tomorrow mate!!!

Edited by Grappler
adding a Happy Birthday!