Anybody here go to Rowlinson School?

I was there 71-76, recently went for a tour of Norton College (shutting for good next year) it has changes in places but in other areas is still the same...The Craft block is two floors now. My form teachers were Ibbotson 1st year, and Chappell yrs 4&5 I was in N form with Steve Farell Nick Collett etc

We were there at exactly the same time mate

I was there 71-76, recently went for a tour of Norton College (shutting for good next year) it has changes in places but in other areas is still the same...The Craft block is two floors now. My form teachers were Ibbotson 1st year, and Chappell yrs 4&5 I was in N form with Steve Farell Nick Collett etc

Wasn't it always two floors - there was the bridge to the staffroom up there, tech drawing rooms, medical room, seminar rooms as I remember, or do you mean they've filled in the void that was above the metalwork area?

Wasn't it always two floors - there was the bridge to the staffroom up there, tech drawing rooms, medical room, seminar rooms as I remember, or do you mean they've filled in the void that was above the metalwork area?

Yes henry it always was 2 floors.

Walked that bridge many times to the staff room for detention.

Best way to get out of it was to dash over there as soon as the bell rang, get a staff member to see if whoever was giving me the detention was there, the reply was always NO not yet, ok well I was here you saw i was here bye :hihi:

Next day it was where were you for your detention, I was there ask so and so :P

Hi Kentblade.

Only just joined this site, like you I live in Kent now .I passed my 11+ in 1951 and went to Carfield for 2 years, from there we all went to Rowlinson. Remember Princess Margaret came to open it, we all lined the drive up to the school, she was wearing black(still in mourning for her dad) and thought how tiny she was. I remember the PE teacher unsure of his name could have been Mr Ibbotson who got caught in the changing rooms with a female member of staff. He was a good looking chap. I left in 1955 when my family moved south. I did have a photo of the staff but gave it away a couple of years , ironically to a friend of mines ,son in law, whose Uncle was Mr Bolton. I couldn't believe it when I found out, what a small world. I will try to get it back to post a copy on the site. Did you know Jack Booth or Raymond Edley they were in my class of Ellesmere Road, we all passed to go to Carfield. By the way my name is Josie

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 13:23 ----------

I remember in 1951 going into a park with my class to play hockey, was it Meersbrook Park or I see on Google Earth another playing field near by

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 00:28 ----------

Has this site dried up, seems no one replies

Hi All,

Was anyone on here taught Science by Dr/Mr David Ellis in the late 70's?

To jog your memory he was a Blades fan and was mad about rock climbing.

He would have been a young teacher then as Rowlinson was his first school out of Leeds Uni.

He is retiring this year after almost 40 years in teaching and we (his kids) are trying to get in touch with old teachers/students.

Rowlinson is proving tricky as it was a long time ago.

Rowlinson is proving tricky as it was a long time ago.

It sure is proving tricky. I actually met Alex3695 a couple of years ago at Wembley, and after 35+ years lets say he had lost his rock star looks :hihi:

Still keep in touch with a few from Rolo on facebook including a lad who was my best friend.

Some things you never forget and my time at Rolo wont soon be forgotten even if some of the names will be :hihi::hihi:

Went ,did go, done that ,been there ,left and forgotten moved on but reading this forum all the names just come flooding back ,however your experience was good mine was oppressive. and because of this, I learned more out of school than in.

Maybe I had some friends and many enemies the school was plagued by Mafia like Onebat who beat up kids for dinner Tokens with his US baseball bat ,may God and his ilk go to hell.ASKEM !USE TO CANE ME THANKS I needed that.

Hi did any one know SMUTT. From Woodseats. :hihi:

Hi Kentblade and Earsham,

I have just discovered this site. My name is Dave Maskery.

Pleased to learn that there are still one or two who joined the school even earlier than me! I went in 1954 and left after O Levels in 1959.

I well remember losing the girls about 1956 or 1957. We took the boys from Greystones, I think it was and our girls and theirs went to the newly-built St Ecgbert's.

Does anybody remember our trying to clear the playing fields of fragments of glass and other sharp items? Apparently, these were in the topsoil. Bill Otley (French and history) was one of the prime movers in trying to clear the land but the project eventually faded out. I don't think that the land was ever made safe for use.

Is there anybody who remembers me?