Plumpers Stretch boat incident

Was cycling home from work earlier and saw the Plumpers stretch half drained. Apparently the small barge named 'Rosie' (recently has been moored topside of the Tinsley flight) had sunk, so the canal lowered to help divers raise the boat.

Does anyone know any more? are the owners safe?

Couple of photos, and possible reasons you keep losing hooklengths to the shallows...

DSC_0100_zpsa9283ee1.jpg

DSC_0099_zps2ab7c34e.jpg

Edited by chidorii

I remember when they drained the basin, couldn't believe the stuff down there, including a car !

Was cycling home from work earlier and saw the Plumpers stretch half drained. Apparently the small barge named 'Rosie' (recently has been moored topside of the Tinsley flight) had sunk, so the canal lowered to help divers raise the boat.

Does anyone know any more? are the owners safe?

Couple of photos, and possible reasons you keep losing hooklengths to the shallows...

DSC_0100_zpsa9283ee1.jpg

DSC_0099_zps2ab7c34e.jpg

not herd anything on the radio chidorii,but hope the owners are safe :-(

you have sime great pictures btway,i love that lovely dark tench Is that from the canal?its looks like a proper tench from clear water,not like the poor pale washed out sort that you find in muddy comercial puddles.nice fish :-)

---------- Post added 13-05-2014 at 06:50 ----------

I remember when they drained the basin, couldn't believe the stuff down there, including a car !

i can belief it megalithic,especially the way some of the young ones drive nowsaday :-l

i often fish the broughton lane stretch and the amount of snigs in their is unreal,i think people just lob there rubbish and junk off the bridge,the amount of lures i have lost in there is uncountable :-(

the problem could easily be solved by putting a high fence on the sides of the riad bridge,then a clean up campign

their must be hundreds of pound of scrap metals in that stretch alone,surely it would be wirth someones while to clear it out?? :scratchhaed:

Yar tis a Tinsley Tench. I'll have to get some more random photos uploaded.

Anyone been down here since? Was planning a session here in a week or 2..

i saw Rosie afloat and well and thursday night moored up between don valley and woodburn road stretch

ahh good stuff @ gazza, hopefully nothing bad happened.

DanielH: when did you last go and catch? I'm going down next weekend and I am in need of good information lol! On the one hand this is the canal and traditional methods should work, but on the other these carp were stocked, and there's at least 30 over 6lb on a 539m stretch - so maybe commercial methods are best!?

I haven't been down this year yet, been too busy with work unfortunately. I didn't know anything about carp being stocked? That might explain the 15 or so carp I saw surfacing in one area when I walked down the stretch a month ago? They all seemed to be in the 5-8lb mark.

There are plenty of carp in the plumpers stretch including some big doubles. Some of them may even be over twenty pounds now.

Nick Speed did a feature for an angling mag last year fishing the plumpers and caught some big carp fishing pellet on a 17 metre pole.

can plumpers stretch be accsessed by car i used to fish there regular but haven't been for a while

You could drive down the bank behind the pegs but the gate is now permanently locked. Nearest parking is near the plumpers cafe. Walk over the lock and down the bank.

hi charlie is it safe parking there i've heard it's a dodgy area