Bitter suites sheffield band

Yes great band, have i got mixed up , Didnt John Parr ( st elmos fire song) lead sing for them at one time?

John Parr was ini Mickeys Monkeys with my late husband Terry hanbury

Hi kirsty I never got the pleasure of meeting your dad but I did have the pleasure of meeting Sam. Sam also has an older sister called Lucy who I am very close to.

Thank you hun your a star x

i play golf with guy who played in the jigsaws

Thank you for your kind words it really means a lot xxx

I first saw the nucleus of the group that eventually evolved into 'Bitter Suite' as 'Dean Marshall and the Deputies' at Shirecliffe Community centre in late 1963. Two members of the group then were singer Barry Marshall and bassist Gerry Scanlan (a Shiregreen lad). Their next name was 'The Lizards' and over the next few years with personnel changes, various musicians and name changes i.e: 'Square Circles', '4 Blades' (perhaps), 'Jigsaw' onto 'Bitter Suite'. When I last met Barry Marshall he lived with his wife of a long time and son Julian off Retford Road (Orgreave, Coalbrook ?).

Edited by stpetre
Add

Used to watch Bitter Suite and New Jersey Turnpike as much as I could in those days!!

Testing testing i am new brand new name !

Used to go and see Bitter Suite wherever they played in South Yorkshire ,absolutely brilliant 

why ever they didn’t make it big time is beyond me possibly down to poor management or just unlucky,got to know Gerry well and used to go back to his house ,his wife died when young through Cancer ,brought so must enjoyment to so many people,wish we could turn the clocks back ,so many working man clubs gone now such a shame .

Barry,Gerry and Tommy on drums brilliant.

I was in a band at the same time and very similar with a horn section and in our agent's office(Mcloed in Hessle) they played me their single which I think was called "Goodbye America" or even "Captain America."  Great hook but I don't remember it charting. 

On 10/05/2014 at 15:53, francypants said:

Sorry I can't tell you much other than I used to go and see Bitter Suite at the Working Mens Clubs back in the 70s. They were absolutely brilliant and a cover charge was always made at the door when they were on ( which only happened with successful acts ) The clubs were always packed out when they played. I can remember the lead singer had dark curly hair. Amazing group.:banana::clap::clap:

We used to love Bitter Suite and followed them in the 70s. Barry Marshall. Jerry. Stuart and the drummer Tommy...fantastic band

On 03/03/2019 at 21:24, PorscheC4S said:

Used to go and see Bitter Suite wherever they played in South Yorkshire ,absolutely brilliant 

why ever they didn’t make it big time is beyond me possibly down to poor management or just unlucky,got to know Gerry well and used to go back to his house ,his wife died when young through Cancer ,brought so must enjoyment to so many people,wish we could turn the clocks back ,so many working man clubs gone now such a shame .

Barry,Gerry and Tommy on drums brilliant.

Yes they were brilliant in the day...I remember their record Goodbye America but thought at the time this did not reflect the true talent of Bitter Suite...wish they were on at our local Cub tomorrow 😉

On 10/05/2014 at 17:13, bessmeg said:

Yes great band, have i got mixed up , Didnt John Parr ( st elmos fire song) lead sing for them at one time?

The lead singer was always Barry Marshal. John Parr did sing with them for a short time in the 70s

On 17/01/2017 at 13:36, Dot said:

Used to watch Bitter Suite and New Jersey Turnpike as much as I could in those days!!

Wow blast from the past...we used to follow Bitter Suite in the 70s had forgotten about New Jersey Turnpike till you mentioned them

On 31/08/2019 at 22:06, Edcase said:

I was in a band at the same time and very similar with a horn section and in our agent's office(Mcloed in Hessle) they played me their single which I think was called "Goodbye America" or even "Captain America."  Great hook but I don't remember it charting. 

Goodbye America but did not reflect the great talent of Bitter suite

I seem to remember delivering mail to them here: Owler Bar 

Hi what an era for live bands in and around Sheffield can remember Bitter Suite they always finished their set with “Billy Porter” other bands were Limelight/ Ponders End / Squealer /Bliss / Micky Monkeys  and of course The Frank White Band - Mr Sheffield  hey plus many others great days saw Def Leppard at my local working men’s club just before they went big bought their 1st EP on the door 50 p