Normanton Hill/Jasmyn Chan/ Police appeal/ Man charged

Senior officer asks for help in Sheffield fatal hit and run

Chief Inspector Stuart Walne has this afternoon, appealed directly to the driver of the car involved in the fatal hit and run last night, to hand themselves in.

As he named the victim, as 14-year-old Jasmyn Chan, who lived locally, he appealed for the public’s help in tracing the driver of the car.

Speaking to the media on Saturday, 10, May, Chief Inspector Stuart Walne said: “Jasmyn was an active, friendly girl who was very giving. This situation is even more upsetting as the driver didn’t stop at the scene.

“The driver may not have intended to cause this collision nor are they likely to have been aware of the extent of the injuries they caused last night.

“However I would urge them to think about the impact on Jasmyn’s family, friends and community and please come forward.

“Investigating officers are working on a number of leads and people have been giving us information.

“The small dark-coloured car will have damage to the front and the driver’s offside. If you think you may have seen it or know who it belongs to, please contact us on 101.”

The collision occurred at 9.20pm on Friday, 9 May on Normanton Hill, when Jasmyn and a 12-year-old girl were crossing the road.

The 12-year-old sustained serious injuries and is being treated in hospital.

The car, described as small and dark-coloured. It was travelling downhill towards the A57 Mosborough Parkway.

Police are also urging anyone who witnessed the collision or saw the small dark car in the Normanton area or anyone who may have any information, to please call 101 quoting incident number 1098 of 9 May 2014.

I heard a car had been found. Is that not the case then?

Just a rumour. No official confirmation that i can find.

4 years ago, my mum was killed by two drivers racing each other. The one who was able to drive away from the collision, left the scene. He didn't hand himself in, he was tracked down by the police, mainly due to having a distinctive car and there being many witnesses.

I doubt it will be so easy to track this driver down so I do hope they come forward. if only to show respect for this girl and her family who will be suffering more than you could ever imagine. Her family will need answers and justice.

My thoughts are with the family......the long term effects are devastating, this not something you ever recover from, especially when a child has been killed.

Was this the horrid accident on Halifax rd ?

Was this the horrid accident on Halifax rd ?

Yes it was, although accident is not the word I'd use.

4 years ago, my mum was killed by two drivers racing each other. The one who was able to drive away from the collision, left the scene. He didn't hand himself in, he was tracked down by the police, mainly due to having a distinctive car and there being many witnesses.

I doubt it will be so easy to track this driver down so I do hope they come forward. if only to show respect for this girl and her family who will be suffering more than you could ever imagine. Her family will need answers and justice.

My thoughts are with the family......the long term effects are devastating, this not something you ever recover from, especially when a child has been killed.

Totally devastating isn't it. Unimaginably so if you aren't directly affected.

I lost my little nephew to a drunk driver.

Life is never the same.

Totally devastating isn't it. Unimaginably so if you aren't directly affected.

I lost my little nephew to a drunk driver.

Life is never the same.

You are affected in ways that you would never imagine and the pain never goes away. I can't bear to think about what this family are going through.

You are affected in ways that you would never imagine and the pain never goes away. I can't bear to think about what this family are going through.

Each time i see an incident of this nature it all comes flooding back, i guess it's the same for yourself. Then there's the absence for family gatherings, etc.

Their world is upside down right now, with no comfort in sight. Gutted for them. :(

R I P. Young lady. She saved her friends life if whats being said is right. Can't imagine how her her family are coping. I've had conversations with people who knew her today, a very well loved friend to all who knew her.

So sad to see all the upset teenagers laying flowers for her.

A black Honda Civic was abandoned in the middle of City Road with a smashed up front end. It was right in the middle of the road and cars were having to drive around it. That much is true.

Wether it's the car the police are looking for in connection with the hit and run, I don't know.

Hope whoever it is is crapping themselves because the police will indeed find them,i just hope our justice system doesn't let the girls family down when the time comes.