Accident on langsett road 9/5/14 expect delays

She had a lot of blood on her neck and she looked like she was either unconscious or struggling to stay conscious. It looked like she might have come to grief with the tram tracks. I've not been able to find any reports an I have been worrying about her. Wish I knew if she was okay. A lot of people had stopped to help her.

It wasn't a police incident, so there won't be reports per se.

Only if a family member or friend (or hopefully the lady herself) spots this thread and posts.

Tram tracks are lethal for bikes. I knew someone who broke both arms when his tire went down one a few years ago. I seriously don't think cyclists should use tram routes (of their own volition of course).

My o/h was knocked out for 10mins after coming to grief on this same stretch on his pushbike at the end of March. He doesn't know what happened as has lost about half an hour memory wise, cracked a rib, scrapes n bruises and a trashed helmet, but otherwise ok. He doesn't cycle that way any more! Best wishes to the lady and her family, hope she gets better very soon.

Has anybody got any update on the condition of the cyclist in this incident?

Hi. Weird seeing this thread about my accident - was doing a Google search trying to put some pieces together. I really appreciate the kind people in Sheffield who helped me and I have no idea who they are. Also grateful for the well wishers on here and happy to update and reassure that although sore I'm ok. I broke my wrist badly and have facial fractures however sth have operated on both and I now have 3 titanium plates to hold the bits together! What I have found interesting during my recovery is the number of people who have said that they've also come off on the tram tracks. I always go on the bike track when it starts half way down langsett road, and have been careful crossing the tracks but this one time it ended really badly as it was a drizzly morning.

I do remember passing another cyclist just before the site where I splipped on the tracks (then very probably also went into the track groove) but noone has mentioned another cyclist?...

Anyway, thank you for the concern in some of your posts - very much apreciated.

Bec x

I came off once on that cycle path because it's ungritted, so I don't use it when going towards town, and don't use it either way if the temp has been below freezing.

Hi. Weird seeing this thread about my accident - was doing a Google search trying to put some pieces together. I really appreciate the kind people in Sheffield who helped me and I have no idea who they are. Also grateful for the well wishers on here and happy to update and reassure that although sore I'm ok. I broke my wrist badly and have facial fractures however sth have operated on both and I now have 3 titanium plates to hold the bits together! What I have found interesting during my recovery is the number of people who have said that they've also come off on the tram tracks. I always go on the bike track when it starts half way down langsett road, and have been careful crossing the tracks but this one time it ended really badly as it was a drizzly morning.

I do remember passing another cyclist just before the site where I splipped on the tracks (then very probably also went into the track groove) but noone has mentioned another cyclist?...

Bec x

Crikey, sounds awful. I hope your recovery goes well Becca and am pleased to see you are at least able to use the Internet! I'd be so bloody bored without! :hihi:

Bec x

Sounds awful Becs :(

Get well soon hun x

Bec x

Many, many cyclists have come off their bikes riding over the tram lines- they are absolutely lethal when wet, and, it's unfortunate that so many cyclists just are not aware of how much of a problem they are.

I was very confident up till a year ago- always crossed them at a good angle and took care- then I came off when it was wet. Luckily didn't break anything, but was very aware that if they'd been a car behind me I could have been run over.

The tramlines obviously aren't going to go away, but given the number of broken bones and, I believe, several deaths, it's time for an info campaign sufficient to ensure that every cyclist in Sheffield knows how dangerous the tramlines are.

So glad you are recovering well Becca as I said in an earlier post my son came off in the same spot .There have been several debates on here regarding cyclists and the tram tracks .I still feel something should be done I just don't know what .Hope you have a full recover !:)

It is obviously a major problem but I don't think the answer is for cyclists to have to avoid certain roads due to tram tracks having been installed. People live on these roads and should be able to use green healthy ways of getting to and from their homes without the high risk of accidents due to tram tracks on the road. If tram tracks are dangerous, which they have proven time and time again that they are it seems, then alternative provision ie cycle paths where the roads have tracks on, should be created. The cost of all these accidents in terms of health care, lost working hours etc must be massive and that's without the emotional cost of the trauma of the accident and permanent physical damage. So is it the council or stagecoach who are responsible for making the roads that are tram routes safe?

Rant over! Thanks for continued well wishes :) x

It is obviously a major problem but I don't think the answer is for cyclists to have to avoid certain roads due to tram tracks having been installed. People live on these roads and should be able to use green healthy ways of getting to and from their homes without the high risk of accidents due to tram tracks on the road. If tram tracks are dangerous, which they have proven time and time again that they are it seems, then alternative provision ie cycle paths where the roads have tracks on, should be created. The cost of all these accidents in terms of health care, lost working hours etc must be massive and that's without the emotional cost of the trauma of the accident and permanent physical damage. So is it the council or stagecoach who are responsible for making the roads that are tram routes safe?

Rant over! Thanks for continued well wishes :) x

In a previous cycling commute I used to ride down Glossop Road / West Street, and Rockingham Street towards West Bar. I was always a bit concerned about crossing the tracks, and used to do it as square on as possible. In the end I gave up and altered my route to Glossop Road, Upper Hanover Street and right at the Brook Hill Roundabout. I decided that I'd rather cycle round Brook Hill Roundabout than continue to ride over the tram tracks.

I don't know what they can do to improve safety for cyclists, now, but there is no space next to the tracks for a cycle path. I don't know how much consideration was given to cyclists at the time of creating Supertram, but judging by the way they closed off Leavygreave, it looks like "not much".

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/

(and look up the cycle facility of the month for September 2004)