Pointing Dog - Ecclesall Rd

Its nice to have a drinking place where one can mingle with Sheffield's high society

One does not want to be mixing with the peasants from Hunters Bar, nor does one want to be drinking alongside anyone who earns less that £100,000 per annum

Its nice to have a drinking place where one can mingle with Sheffield's high society

One does not want to be mixing with the peasants from Hunters Bar, nor does one want to be drinking alongside anyone who earns less that £100,000 per annum

very true!:thumbsup: although i fear we may have to move down the road to Kettle Black, far more IN now!

Guest makapaka
........Large Pub Co's usually mean the kiss of death!.........look what happened to Loch Fyne...........very soon not so fyne.

It's the same group that own the florentine I believe.

Should be a positive thing on that basis.

........Large Pub Co's usually mean the kiss of death!.........look what happened to Loch Fyne...........very soon not so fyne.

Be warned.... I've got a Pointing dog members card. And I'm off the Manor!

Be warned.... I've got a Pointing dog members card. And I'm off the Manor!
..........your pointing dog is probably a "Pit Bull" then? :D

..........your pointing dog is probably a "Pit Bull" then? :D

Ha Ha, yes.The dog is called Tyson and l have a daughter called Summer. But it could be worse, I could be a self righteous vegan from Nether Edge.

Is it true that Marston`s are taking this place over? Never been in personally tbh as , err, it didn`t look like my sort of thing.....

Re-opening as "Lost and Found", the new brand from Marstons under the Revere Pub company label.

https://the-lostandfound.co.uk/sheffield

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/523530/revere-pub-company-to-open-fifth-lost-found-bar

I went to The Lost and Found on Sunday. It looks pretty similar to The Pointing Dog, not sure if the decorating is finished yet but it was sold as Victorian themed, like their other branches in Leeds, Birmingham etc but it's very plain currently. They had a few decent drinks on, food was OK (Not sure how anyone can do a sunday roast that right or terribly wrong so hard to judge) but I am not sure I'd have been happy if it had been full price. Got a discount preview weekend thing going on.

I went to The Lost and Found on Sunday. It looks pretty similar to The Pointing Dog, not sure if the decorating is finished yet but it was sold as Victorian themed, like their other branches in Leeds, Birmingham etc but it's very plain currently. They had a few decent drinks on, food was OK (Not sure how anyone can do a sunday roast that right or terribly wrong so hard to judge) but I am not sure I'd have been happy if it had been full price. Got a discount preview weekend thing going on.

I usually cook Sunday lunch at home. So if I'm going to eat Sunday lunch out I want something that is going to be at least on a par, quality wise, with what I'd normally cook. It's not easy to find imo, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say "not sure how anyone can do a sunday roast that right or wrong". I think there's a huge variation in quality - but that depends on your reference points I suppose?

I only buy meat from a proper butchers where I know I'm getting organic meat that hasn't been treated with all sorts of additives. If it's beef then I'd expect it to have been hung for at least 21 days, preferably longer. I buy veg fresh from the market - not from the supermarket where it has 1 day shelf life after spending the last few weeks getting here from Kenya or somewhere like that.

Quality of ingredients then make a big difference. But it's not only that...

If I'm going out for Sunday lunch then the quality of the food, the quality of the cooking and the variety of things on offer matter a great deal. I don't know anywhere in Sheffield that has a really good quality Sunday lunch tbh. I'm sure there are some places that I haven't tried yet. But I very much doubt this would be a chain pub, with their microwave frozen foods and supermarket meat on offer.

We travel all over the place to eat out and if it's a good Sunday Lunch we're after then that usually takes us an hour or so away from Sheffield. I was at the Nags Head, near Loxley, a few weeks ago, and the Sunday roast looked decent there.

But...any suggestions/recommendations welcome? Please don't bother suggesting Toby Inns or Crown Carveries though - or the Vintage Inns Chain pubs.

Guest makapaka
On 11/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, DerbyTup said:

I usually cook Sunday lunch at home. So if I'm going to eat Sunday lunch out I want something that is going to be at least on a par, quality wise, with what I'd normally cook. It's not easy to find imo, so I'd have to disagree with you when you say "not sure how anyone can do a sunday roast that right or wrong". I think there's a huge variation in quality - but that depends on your reference points I suppose?

I only buy meat from a proper butchers where I know I'm getting organic meat that hasn't been treated with all sorts of additives. If it's beef then I'd expect it to have been hung for at least 21 days, preferably longer. I buy veg fresh from the market - not from the supermarket where it has 1 day shelf life after spending the last few weeks getting here from Kenya or somewhere like that.

If I'm going out for Sunday lunch then the quality of the food, the quality of the cooking and the variety of things on offer matter a great deal. I don't know anywhere in Sheffield that has a really good quality Sunday lunch tbh. I'm sure there are some places that I haven't tried yet. But I very much doubt this would be a chain pub, with their microwave frozen foods and supermarket meat on offer.

We travel all over the place to eat out and if it's a good Sunday Lunch we're after then that usually takes us an hour or so away from Sheffield. I was at the Nags Head, near Loxley, a few weeks ago, and the Sunday roast looked decent there.

But...any suggestions/recommendations welcome? Please don't bother suggesting Toby Inns or Crown Carveries though - or the Vintage Inns Chain pubs.

I would just stay at home if I was you it sounds like your requirements are very specific.

Edited by makapaka

On 11/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, DerbyTup said:

The Wortley Arms in Wortley used to do a very nice sunday lunch.  I had roast sirloin which comes pink, and the roast potatoes were actually roasted, not dropped in the fryer (always a disappointment).  Nice crunchy side veg, and proper gravy.  Best pub sunday lunch I've had in the area. I'd recommend it with the only caveat -Its probably over a year since I went. If you go, let me know if its still up to scratch!

(I think you approved of my last recommendation! (Post House Steak place off Junction 38 M1)

Edit - just checked their website and no mention of traditional sunday lunch :( .  Will contact them

Edited by lil-minx92

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

The Wortley Arms in Wortley used to do a very nice sunday lunch.  I had roast sirloin which comes pink, and the roast potatoes were actually roasted, not dropped in the fryer (always a disappointment).  Nice crunchy side veg, and proper gravy.  Best pub sunday lunch I've had in the area. I'd recommend it with the only caveat -Its probably over a year since I went. If you go, let me know if its still up to scratch!

(I think you approved of my last recommendation! (Post House Steak place off Junction 38 M1)

Edit - just checked their website and no mention of traditional sunday lunch :( .  Will contact them

They have replied! They do a sunday roast selection amongst other things. Beef sirloin, leg of lamb, loin of pork. All local meat. Booking strongly advised.