Pointing Dog - Ecclesall Rd

On 11/22/2018 at 11:50 AM, lil-minx92 said:

The Wortley Arms in Wortley used to do a very nice sunday lunch.  I had roast sirloin which comes pink, and the roast potatoes were actually roasted, not dropped in the fryer (always a disappointment).  Nice crunchy side veg, and proper gravy.  Best pub sunday lunch I've had in the area. I'd recommend it with the only caveat -Its probably over a year since I went. If you go, let me know if its still up to scratch!

(I think you approved of my last recommendation! (Post House Steak place off Junction 38 M1)

Edit - just checked their website and no mention of traditional sunday lunch :( .  Will contact them

Hey Lil-Minx.    I certainly did approve of your recommendation The Old Post Office, at Haigh, J38 M1.  It's become a firm favourite and I went last saturday night.  Took a couple of friends with us who'd never been before and they also thought it was great!  

The place is under new ownership though - I was disappointed to hear that.  It's fairly recent I think.  The folks who had it up until now have moved to the Rose & Crown at Hoylandswaine.  I believe The Old Post Office has still got the same Chef's as before - but whether they'll move on and follow the owner who knows?  The most concerning thing is that the waiter told me the Chef's want to turn it more into a fine dining pub upstairs, and more pub food type place downstairs.  I think this will be a big mistake tbh.  I don't think that folks go there because they want a fine-dining experience.  I know we don't.  We go because we think the food is really good, generous portions and the steaks especially are the best we've had just about anywhere.  The fact you can cut your own really appeals to me.  I love a nice thick sirloin - 12 oz or even bigger.  When I go to the US I always order a "New York Strip" - which is usually a 16oz sirloin.  

You're a star for recommending that place to me and I'm very interested in any other recommendations you've got, because you clearly know your stuff and we've got similar tastes I think.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:02 PM, makapaka said:

I would just stay at home if I was you it sounds like your requirements are very specific.

No, I just appreciate good quality, that's all. 

And I don't mind travelling to get it.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, lil-minx92 said:

They have replied! They do a sunday roast selection amongst other things. Beef sirloin, leg of lamb, loin of pork. All local meat. Booking strongly advised.

Great!  I'll give it a try then.  I know the pub well - I used to live that side of the city once and have been many times.

Cheers!

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

Hey Lil-Minx.    I certainly did approve of your recommendation The Old Post Office, at Haigh, J38 M1.  It's become a firm favourite and I went last saturday night.  Took a couple of friends with us who'd never been before and they also thought it was great!  

The place is under new ownership though - I was disappointed to hear that.  It's fairly recent I think.  The folks who had it up until now have moved to the Rose & Crown at Hoylandswaine.  I believe The Old Post Office has still got the same Chef's as before - but whether they'll move on and follow the owner who knows?  The most concerning thing is that the waiter told me the Chef's want to turn it more into a fine dining pub upstairs, and more pub food type place downstairs.  I think this will be a big mistake tbh.  I don't think that folks go there because they want a fine-dining experience.  I know we don't.  We go because we think the food is really good, generous portions and the steaks especially are the best we've had just about anywhere.  The fact you can cut your own really appeals to me.  I love a nice thick sirloin - 12 oz or even bigger.  When I go to the US I always order a "New York Strip" - which is usually a 16oz sirloin.  

You're a star for recommending that place to me and I'm very interested in any other recommendations you've got, because you clearly know your stuff and we've got similar tastes I think.

No, I just appreciate good quality, that's all. 

And I don't mind travelling to get it.

Great!  I'll give it a try then.  I know the pub well - I used to live that side of the city once and have been many times.

Cheers!

But you haven’t even checked how long the beef is hung for and where the vegetables are bought from?

On 11/30/2018 at 9:59 AM, makapaka said:

But you haven’t even checked how long the beef is hung for and where the vegetables are bought from?

Well, that's true!  I'll just have to take a big risk I suppose!