Preventing neighbour's dog using my garden as a toilet?

Are there are natural or harmless remedies I can use to discourage my neighbour's dog from fouling my garden? It seems like a nice dog (and I like dogs) but I just don't want to have to pick up its excrement off my garden all the time. I don't wish to harm the dog at all, so it must be something that won't harm it or the various cats in the vicinity ( not including mine, which is permanently indoors).

I don't think my neighbours are very amenable on this matter, so I don't want to approach them. Plus, I don't like conflict.

Any suggestions?

I guess a fence isn't an option, Isabelle. So, slices of citrus fruit or cayenne pepper sprinkled around.

Post it through there letterbox and see how they like it.

The old shovel fling at the windows should get the message across.

As already said ,scoop it up on a shovel and hurl it at their windows. Job sorted.

Talk to your neighbour?

The OP has already said that she doesn't want to confront the neighbour.

My friend has a device which deters cats from her garden, it might work with dogs too. Apparently it emits a sound which animals hate, but which is undetectable by humans. She bought it online from Amazon or EBay I think, might be worth a look.

My friend has a device which deters cats from her garden, it might work with dogs too. Apparently it emits a sound which animals hate, but which is undetectable by humans. She bought it online from Amazon or EBay I think, might be worth a look.

Well it's about time she got a backbone and did something about it. It's going to eat them up inside by bottling it up.

This should be dealt with ASAP. I'd suggest going around now and sorting them out.

A bigger dog might work.

Or a fence.

Or a hedge of something like berberis.

Are there are natural or harmless remedies I can use to discourage my neighbour's dog from fouling my garden?

Yes, you pick up the dog poo and take it to your neighbour and explain that the next time their dogs poos in your garden it will be posted to them, their dog will then be stopped from pooing in your garden.

Edit

Its appears you have already been given this very sensible advice.

I guess a fence isn't an option, Isabelle. So, slices of citrus fruit or cayenne pepper sprinkled around.

Doesn't work with cats, or dogs.

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 09:19 ----------

Doesn't work either (in my experience), and you can hear the noise.