Cowboy Builders - Sheffield

Thanks to OP for bringing this up. Meant to watch it but totally forgot so just put it "on demand" and watching it now.

Nice advert ;)

Don't think he needs to advitise! Seems to have got a pretty good reputation already :) and that is the best advirtisement there is .

--------------------------------------------------

Been burnt so badly by cowboy builders that effected my confidence & fearful to allow another one in, even the job is not complete.

He gave quote for job and hardly turned up and after weeks sun bathing and drinking my coffee demanded daily rate for himself and his twin brother. more than 3 times what he originally quoted me. Turned my house to building site no hot water, no kitchen and piles of mess all over the house and outside. holding me hostage to his demand.

A real cowboy builder then took advantage of legal aid and took legal action and was good at making stories. He put us through hell and back.

I know.

I had one a few years ago to pebble dash the house. (see post #10)

Got him through the mybuilder site, which I would not recommend.

I think he ended up doing time, not through me.

His son recently contacted me and asked me to remove my adverse comments re his father, as he could not get any work due to my review.

Eventually got mybuilder to have words with him.

Have heard no more since.

Although there's many excellent builders out there, it's these cowboys who ruin it for many others.

I'm really not sure how one can ignore these cowboys.

Google is your friend, people are quite good at sharing the names of bad builders.

Small claims court for those who have already been stung.

Google is your friend, people are quite good at sharing the names of bad builders.

Small claims court for those who have already been stung.

That's fine if you can find his name.

if it were John Smith, purely for example, there may be many of them on there.

I tried looking for mine, and found he was in N Carolina prison, for what I don't know.

If you can't find him, then who knows!

It's of no compensation if you have to take him to court, as he may have no assets and your property may be in a mess and clearly you're out of pocket.

It's identifying the good and the bad guys before work starts.

I mistakenly assumed that going through an agency, such as mybuilder, would protect me.

That was, unfortunately, a false assumption.

It is bad been screwed over and am same with my customers and if there not happy tell me why and we sort it but what bout us were customers who you do jobs for dont want to pay ive had a thew what still owe money always chasing them there should be something drawn up on big jobs so its safe to hand some money over but thats my opinon

Guest makapaka

If you're having significant work done get a contract in place.

If they won't sign it don't use them.

The cowboys need sorting no doubt but!! what about the cow boy (and girl) customers who have work done then suddenly realise that they have run out of money when pay time comes.

You get people who will say "Oh while you are doing that could you just!!!!) and so on , when all the" just can you,s" are added up and added to the final invoice they start screaming blue murder, and that is when some lads are labelled :cowboys".

The worse times for cowboy customers was when the Government grant works were in ,the job would be done , you would go for your money that had been paid to the tenant, parked out side would be a new car , and the money was gone .

Name and shame? No, because who is to say if a person says Joe Bloggs builder is a cowboy they are telling the truth?

We are only human and if someone upsets us (maybe justified) we serk revenge. A builder may upset somehow a customer and that builder may be selfish or/and ignorant. But so can some customers. Lets face it, we all like getting something for nothing. As said, I have had extra's added on but getting paid for them can be impossible. Then there the customers who fabricate damages. So if SF did allow name and shaming without proof then so should it be the other way round.

I did a job in the 90's and 2 neighbours warned me that this customer never pays. They was right. I simply went back and dislodged the copings so she was back to square one. Yes there was legal action threatened for trespass, yawn, yawn.

I have had my fair share of customers who probably have mental health issues. Some customers are down right evil!

But they are a very small minority as are the cowboy builders.

We do not allow naming and shaming on this forum. Anybody found doing so will have their posts removed.