Why can't we all just say and think what we want

There have been some very revealing responses here, as a number of the usual left wing trolls have used this thread to launch personal attacks on me rather than discuss the point I’m making.

CPC464, bonzo77 and skinz have resorted to name calling, Mister M has made threats of physical violence, Halibut even states in his signature that he wants to murder people who disagree with him!

And yet I would freely defend their right to say what they want no matter how clihdish, naïve or offensive they may come across. It just shows how twisted some people can be that a thread suggesting that all of us should be free to say what we think gets condemned as designed to”sow division and hatred” when the intention is completely the opposite.

After the recent media storms over UKIP candidates making "offensive" remarks and Jeremy Clarkson supposedly mumbling the N word, here's a suggestion.

Why can't we all just say and think whatever we want and stop worrying about who we offend? Regardless of whether you're left wing right wing, black, white, straight gay or whatever, we should all be free to express ourselves however we like, even if it upsets people.

I suspect it is because you want to be a bit racist.

Do you have a young female member of family (say under 10 years old)? Would you be happy for me to express my lust for her and describe graphically the debauched sexual things I want to do to her? Should I be able to do this?

If I worked in your bank, should I be able to tell people your account details?

Should I be able to harrangue an elderly lady walking down the street just for a laugh? Perhaps scream at her face? Make her cry, "just for a laugh"?

Perhaps I should be able to tell your boss that you are a peadophile and try to get you sacked? Perhaps I could say the same to the local knuckle dragger so he can come round your house and beat you up?

I think the real question is, why do you want the ability to be able to offend people?

I think the real question is, why do you want the ability to be able to offend people?

No, I'm suggesting that the fact that some people might be offended should not prevent people from voicing unpopular opinions.

CPC464, bonzo77 and skinz have resorted to name calling, Mister M has made threats of physical violence,

But we are freely expressing an opinion on your opinions you are freely expressing which you're advocating. If I think your opinion is moronic, then argue in defence...don't cry and then have a hissy fit.

No, I'm suggesting that the fact that some people might be offended should not prevent people from voicing unpopular opinions.

If my opinion was that a 8 year old girl down my street was sexy, this would be very unpopular. Should I be able to voice this opinion to her?

Society needs to be controlled and protected from itself, this is why we can't have unlimited freedom of speach.

You managed to avoid the majority of the post that you replied to here... What about the rest of it?

There have been some very revealing responses here, as a number of the usual left wing trolls have used this thread to launch personal attacks on me rather than discuss the point I’m making.

CPC464, bonzo77 and skinz have resorted to name calling, Mister M has made threats of physical violence, Halibut even states in his signature that he wants to murder people who disagree with him!

And yet I would freely defend their right to say what they want no matter how clihdish, naïve or offensive they may come across. It just shows how twisted some people can be that a thread suggesting that all of us should be free to say what we think gets condemned as designed to”sow division and hatred” when the intention is completely the opposite.

You're coming over ever so offended rickie. :huh:

---------- Post added 09-05-2014 at 11:58 ----------

There is too much weight given to the PC brigade who are openly two faced. On this forum I have seen someone express the opinion that they hate yanks. Fair enough its his life and his opinion you might say.

..and I think someone else pointed out that the term 'yank' isn't gender, age, sexuality, size, religion or race specific...as far as you know the poster was deriding all those middle aged American, fat, burka wearing lesbians out there :hihi:

You have the right to say what you want!

That doesn't mean you have the right to be heard...listened to...believed...agreed with...(and here comes the crunch Rickie)...or RESPECTED!

Why don't you say what you want to say, let's see what the crux of this ill thought out point is.

In case you've not noticed, they're just saying and thinking what they want. Which is exactly the point you're making, they're just holding up a mirror so you can see what you're suggesting.

Ironic really isn't it.

What's the matter pussy cat? Did my comments offend you?! I wouldn't normally respond in such a way, but you seemed to be asking for it. Just a little social experiment! Now you're calling me sick and twisted?!?

Maybe it's best if we bite our tongue from time to time?!