Is Nick Clegg right

Nick Clegg has spent 4 years propping up the government, now when they appear to be preposing some thing sensible, "The automatic prison sentence for the SECOND offence of knife possession" he is vetoing it. Is he right?

Edited by Yorkshire65
Spelling mistake

Nick Clegg has spent 4 years propping up the government, now when they appear to be preposing some ting sensible, "The automatic prison sentence for the SECOND offence of knife possession" he is vetoing it. Is he right?

Are you Jamaican?

Yes, but I can understand why you think he isn't.

We are trying to keep people out of prison, not put more in them. This is a fundamental point of difference between the political philosophies of Clegg and Cameron and Clegg has to take a stance to assure his party stays behind him.

Besides that, this law is draconian, where is the test of justice?

Are you Jamaican?

Thank you for your sarcastic comment, no I'm not Jamaican.

Unless it is work related I can see no good reason to carry a knife, if someone is prosecuted for carrying a knife in public for no good reason they should receive the full force of the law.

Unless it is work related I can see no good reason to carry a knife, if someone is prosecuted for carrying a knife in public for no good reason they should receive the full force of the law.

Yes, but that law should be tested by our excellent justice system and not be an automatic condemning of the perpetrator.

Sod em, if they want to carry a knife they can deal with the consequences.

Not everyone can be reformed, some people are just scum and belong in prison.

I'm in your corner mate.

The young lad laid to rest recently after being stabbed by one of a howling pack on the Manor Estate would be alive today if a knife hadn't been used on him.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 13:27 ----------

Yes, but that law should be tested by our excellent justice system and not be an automatic condemning of the perpetrator.

He / she will have undergone our excellent British justice on the first occasion and should learn to abide the law like the rest of us do.

Are you Jamaican?

yeah mon, i and i survive, haile sellasie the first, king of kings, conquering lion of the tribe of Judah

But it won't differentiate between a gang banging hoodlum and an absent minded fisherman, carpet fitter, camper etc etc. You can get nicked for that sort of thing if you aren't at work - I watched it happen on one of these fly on the wall cop shows. A tree surgeon got pulled over (in his work van with tools in the back) and he was cautioned for having an offensive weapon (knife) in his door bin. We wasn't physically "tree surgeoning" so an easy score for the plod.

Tougher sentances for killing someone with a knife would help rather than 15 yrs meaning out in 8.

But it won't differentiate between a gang banging hoodlum and an absent minded fisherman, carpet fitter, camper etc etc. You can get nicked for that sort of thing if you aren't at work - I watched it happen on one of these fly on the wall cop shows. A tree surgeon got pulled over (in his work van with tools in the back) and he was cautioned for having an offensive weapon (knife) in his door bin. We wasn't physically "tree surgeoning" so an easy score for the plod.

Tougher sentances for killing someone with a knife would help rather than 15 yrs meaning out in 8.

This.

People think everything is black and white and therefore the law should be. It is very rare that a court-case is. To simply throw people in jail for being caught with a knife twice is ludicrous, especially as that same standard doesn't apply to any other breaking of the law.

I am sure those of you that support this law would also love to see the Lawrence killers locked up regardless, except that that is effectively what happened and look where it led to? And what about the boy in Leeds that triggered this? Did he have previous? Was there something messed up going on? without the test of law you can't know.

PS: Each prisoner in a cell costs the tax-payer around £120 a day. I'd rather spend it on useful things like tax-breaks thanks.