Update on Origin Broadband's plans following closure of DRL

Problem with DR was that no one knew it existed for about 12 months after launch.

THAT'S why it failed.

The deleting of negative Facebook posts isn't a new thing.

We had a load of problems connectivity wise with Origin for a long time, which only seemed to have cleared up in the last 4 months or so, with still a lot more disconnects than seemed right. Each time we'd call them with humongous lag or anything else, they'd deny there could be possibly anything wrong.

I've posted on their Facebook before asking if there were outages, which posts were promptly deleted, even one where I asked it not to be deleted and for a proper answer, which was again deleted.

Such an unprofessional and frankly shocking way to run a business. If big companies employed methods such as deleting bad posts, there would be an uproar. It's incredibly dishonest.

I'm so glad that we got a new BT line installed this week, and I feel very sorry for those who trusted Origin. We haven't trusted them in a long time, especially with all the promises to call back and zip.

Feel extra sorry for you business folk though. They haven't seemed to take into account that for someone people their business and their life is through their internet.

There are a lot of angry people on their FB page who were not notified of the impending closure!!

I have my phone tethered to a laptop feeding my house 3g now, been running at 20Mbits/s which isn't too shabby. Just got to wait for my Sky connection now (which will be alot lower than 20Mbits).

Feel extra sorry for you business folk though. They haven't seemed to take into account that for someone people their business and their life is through their internet.

If they have ignored customers who have a business line (as apposed to a consumer grade line) then that is a very big mistake to make. Once you lose that custom (and they pay more than consumers), it's unlikely you will ever get them back.

If they have ignored customers who have a business line (as apposed to a consumer grade line) then that is a very big mistake to make. Once you lose that custom (and they pay more than consumers), it's unlikely you will ever get them back.

Someone said on the DRL Forum that a local school were only notified last week of the impending closure, and then there are people on Facebook whose business websites have gone, or people who work from home have woken up to no internet!

Someone said on the DRL Forum that a local school were only notified last week of the impending closure, and then there are people on Facebook whose business websites have gone, or people who work from home have woken up to no internet!

I suppose whether it's an official business line, or business services running on residential.

Either way, it's still a disgraceful situation.

I created a new post earlier today in this forum about our DR broadband connection problems (via another provider).

In sorting out that mess, I've been told that BT haven't enabled the Sheffield City Centre exchange for fibre because of the competition that was provided by DR.

BT have apparently bought the DR network but are going to convert it to run their way, which will take 12 months.

So the upshot of this experiment is that England's fourth largest city is going to be stuck with last-generation broadband in the city centre for at least a year! Is the council making a fuss about this - I think they should because it's going to put off inward investment in the city.

If anyone knows of a way to get fibre speeds in the Sheffield City Centre area, can they post their recommendations?

I created a new post earlier today in this forum about our DR broadband connection problems (via another provider).

In sorting out that mess, I've been told that BT haven't enabled the Sheffield City Centre exchange for fibre because of the competition that was provided by DR.

BT have apparently bought the DR network but are going to convert it to run their way, which will take 12 months.

Geo networks have bought the remains of the network, but not to provide an immediate service.

So the upshot of this experiment is that England's fourth largest city is going to be stuck with last-generation broadband in the city centre for at least a year! Is the council making a fuss about this - I think they should because it's going to put off inward investment in the city.

There is a BDUK scheme, which is where BT are involved, which is government monkey to bring high speed BB to usually unviable places - however I don't believe that city or attercliffe exchanges are part of this.

If anyone knows of a way to get fibre speeds in the Sheffield City Centre area, can they post their recommendations?

I can't help there I'm afraid. Only suggestion I would have is bonded lines (i.e. 2 x ADSL) for double the speed, but unfortunately comes at double the price. Or 4G networks, but i dartesay that isn't particularly cheap either.

What about 4g? I'm with Three and get unlimited tethering, I am now using this as my main source of internet and in a 3g area am getting over 20mbits/s. When my ADSL connects I will be taking a speed drop from this.

Anyone know what's happening over at Origin Broadband?

I'm not with them but my sister is. She knew of their closure and requested a mac key 2 weeks ago (they told her 5 days). Still no mac key and she's been without internet today as they shut down yesterday. She's been on the phone for two hours just listening to crappy pop music and no one is answering.

Anyone know what you can do if she can't get a mac key? She's already signed up to Plusnet but they can't connect her without a key.

Phew...dodged a bullet here I see.:D

I was so close to signing up last year.