Update on Origin Broadband's plans following closure of DRL

It depends if Sky had you on ADSL or ADSL2+, they usually put people on long lines on normal ADSL which sucks as I have a fairly long line myself and when I were on Be I would get at least 1Mbit more on ADSL2+ than plain ADSL.

I know that because I toggled the settings on the router to force only connecting on ADSL because various ISPs like Sky were telling people ADSL2+ is no benefit on long lines and I was sure they were wrong.

[uPDATE]

New Origin site is live and it does appear to be ADSL2+ after all.

Edited by AlexAtkin

That's good news if true. I get 4meg now with Sky, but I want 80 meg dammit!

I'm on the Attercliffe exchange and with Sky and I get 18mb but would love fibre-broadband though. However I can't see it happening anytime soon because many of the business premises nearby are on money making (for BT) leased lines!

I'm on the Attercliffe exchange and with Sky and I get 18mb but would love fibre-broadband though. However I can't see it happening anytime soon because many of the business premises nearby are on money making (for BT) leased lines!

Thats sadly my thinking too... they would probs lose as much if not more from the leased lines than they would make back from residential / business fibre customers so never really going to be top of their list to upgrade :-(

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Origin have gone quiet extremely quiet both on this forum and the drlforum.

Also when any customer is asking what is happening and why they have not been contacted about the closure and been provided with an update, their comments have been removed from their facebook page.....

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Origin have gone quiet extremely quiet both on this forum and the drlforum.

Also when any customer is asking what is happening and why they have not been contacted about the closure and been provided with an update, their comments have been removed from their facebook page.....

I'm free now... gave up and moved to Sky broadband, getting the same speed on downloads and half in uploads... half of the price.. can't complain!

Hi,

We're currently calling each customer individually to deal with the DRL closure as quickly as possible.

Any customer who has not yet had their call will be receiving it very soon.

Pete

Edited by Origin_Pete

I'm definitely getting a little concerned that I haven't been contacted yet. If I didn't read here and facebook etc I wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

I'm definitely getting a little concerned that I haven't been contacted yet. If I didn't read here and facebook etc I wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

I appreciate that, and I'm sorry we haven't reached you sooner. Our team are on the phone all day every day trying to arrange something for every customer.

A large percentage of our customers are based on Digital Region - and each customer generally needs to be called multiple times to get the arrangements in place so it's taking a while to get to everyone.

If you'd like to PM your details, I can ask that a member of staff calls you today to bring you up to speed on everything. I'm not sure any other ISP has ever had to deal with a situation like this - affecting such a large percentage of their customers before, but we're doing our best.

Thank you for your patience while we get this done :)

It's fine Pete, as long as I know you're on it, I'll wait my turn :)

Hi,

We're currently calling each customer individually to deal with the DRL closure as quickly as possible.

Any customer who has not yet had their call will be receiving it very soon.

Pete

Hold on, you're an ISP - you know that your customers should have internet access so why not email an update out and/or put a message up in their member's area of when a customer logs into their account? If a customer wants to actually talk to you about the changes/cancellations then they can ring you at a time to suit them, and you can add a message path to your call system giving general details before being passed to an operator. If a customer is requesting a callback then they can raise an email to you themselves requesting this and stating a good time to call. It seems to me that even with a small customer base (compared to a lot of your competition) that you're creating extra workload for yourselves especially at what is probably an already busy time. You need to work smarter not harder, or maybe a little bit of both.

A lot of your customers will already be in varying stages of being hacked off, and although it's good that you are calling customers, you are invariably going to be seen to be prioritising some customers over others (i.e people talk on forums like we're doing now... Person X receives a phone call and then posts on a forum, person Y a week later sees that and wonders why they still haven't been called.) You're a lot more likely to get people annoyed this way, especially at the possibility of calling at inappropriate times for the customer and/or actually missing customers out. It already feels that you guys seem to be dragging your feet on some of this. Understand that from the customer's perspective, they might feel that they're going to completely lose their internet connection in a month's time if they're being missed out in error or as some may perceive deliberately due to costs - and your customers already pay a premium for their broadband connection in comparison to a lot of the competition. The customers (such as myself) who have chosen you against other BT Wholesaled fibre competitors (BT/Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk, EE etc.) at the time chose you because you were a local player with a dedicated network that was less likely to suffer contention and we were willing to pay the premium, partly on provision that you probably wouldn't be employing major QoS/Traffic profiling and deep packet inspection for some time yet. We were also supporting a network that we'd technically already paid for in our taxes and wanted to see expand and succeed. You'll probably find that your current customer base was also one of your main forms of advertising via word of mouth so long as they were happy with the service.

Customers such as myself are actually concerned about the current state of affairs. That I can see the need for you to appeal to a wider audience and compete with the other contenders now on price too, but that if you're suddenly about to become a national player as opposed to a regional one, and that you're already being slow with handling the transitions for your current customer base then this perhaps doesn't bode well for the future. We're also going to be faced with BT contention and profiling on our connections going forward, which is in part one of the reasons for choosing you guys against that in the first place.

As a business you're about to go from being a large voice on a small network that can get things done when issues occur on it, to a really small player with a small voice on the incumbent mammoth network who won't prioritise you against others who have used their services for years, and that if they manage to break you down then your customer base now has an easier chance of migrating to one of the two ISPs that BT Group have ownership of or another competitor, yet you don't seem to be acknowledging or attempting to respond to any of these business risks.

They'd rather spend time deleting any questions and comments off their Facebook page. I advised a friend about his options and strangely all my comments disappeared. Maybe if they spent more time concentrating on communicating with their customers they would have kept original loyal customers like myself who recommended others to join. As it is now, and has been for the past few months I'd advise people to avoid them.

Given the loss of DRL they:

i) Can no longer offer the level of service they once did in terms of speed.

ii) Are significantly more expensive than the likes of PlusNet/Sky etc when their 12 month contracts are taken side by side (£2.49/£3.75 month versus £9.99)

iii) Have a new network that nobody has experienced/has no reputation as being reliable and capable.

iv) Failed to communicate and show they value their customers

Its everyones decision to make - but their current offering cannot win on any factor...(even the "support a local workers/company stance cannot hold up against PlusNet).

We are at Stannington S6 and have been very happy with Origin but things now look grim as the big ISPs can only offer a little over 1 mb (back to the dark ages)for the foreseeable future!

Can anyone else in our area offer advice for the next best move?